BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - all of you folks that have installed the PowerFrk unit - how does it work once the temps get over 90 - 100 degrees F. Grif and others have installed them and I searched the archives for updates on the how it worked in high tmeperatures and could not find the information.
My bike still has the throttle hesitation problem (along with high idle and BBS) especially once it gets warm outside.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
365 Posts
The PowerFRK eliminated the problem of hesitation accelerating from the 2800 to 3200 RPM range, and than sudden hard acceleration. The throttle stop was shimmed out, and the O2 sensor replaced with the PowerFRK installation. The bike is very smooth and a lot easier to ride.
Have only had one 90 degree day to ride in and it rode great, 260 plus miles of two lane twisty roads. Overall about 2500 miles since the installation of the PowerFRK and no regrets.

Previously the bike had the air box replaced etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
WMD said:
Ok - all of you folks that have installed the PowerFrk unit - how does it work once the temps get over 90 - 100 degrees F. Grif and others have installed them and I searched the archives for updates on the how it worked in high tmeperatures and could not find the information.
My bike still has the throttle hesitation problem (along with high idle and BBS) especially once it gets warm outside.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bill
It solved the 2800-3200 rpm flat spot and the related roll-on abruptness. I also did the airbox and ECM upgrade and a new o2 sensor on my '07 GT with 28000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I live in HELL where it is routinely over 90 degrees up to 105 by 4PM. It's already 95 degrees at 11AM now. No issues with the Power FRK at all. No flat spots (ever!) since the install and the stumbling at 3200 RPM was annoying as hell. The stepper is also shimmed out about 1/2" or so. I also run the high octane Chevron stuff too.

I have a new O2 sensor but never installed it yet since I was awaiting the new airbox to out-gas a bit more as I've heard all the BMW plastic could coat the sensor and I'll await for that to iron out before sticking it on. It's running very well now so I'm not planning to switch it out just yet.

If it ever stumbles again, I'll say something about it.

Mack

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does it cure the roll off/engine just died abruptness? Other than the fast idle deal which it is in the shop for now, my 07 is really touchy but smooth on the throttle except for when you roll it off slightly at 70 or above and it feels like you turned off the ignition.

Now that would be great to be rid of. I had an early 900 ducati motor that did the same thing and it made it really hard to be smooth through the technical corners.

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
mmerrill said:
Does it cure the roll off/engine just died abruptness? Other than the fast idle deal which it is in the shop for now, my 07 is really touchy but smooth on the throttle except for when you roll it off slightly at 70 or above and it feels like you turned off the ignition.

Now that would be great to be rid of. I had an early 900 ducati motor that did the same thing and it made it really hard to be smooth through the technical corners.
Huh? :confused:

If it dies, it won't fix that. Just stumbling on acceleration is what I wanted it for and it succeeds in that. It won't cure any of the idle servo/airbox mechanical stuff either, just the crummy fuel mapping BMW uses. If it minimizes that so much the better, but I doubt if it will do that. I haven't seen it reach up and thumb the starter switch yet.

Fwiw, I agree that the GT isn't good in the technical twisties. It sort of wallows like a bloated pig (and it is!). Add some slow turning (i.e. rounded) tires and it can be a handful along with a touchy throttle action (better tighten up the cables a bit so they aren't as sloppy).

Mack

·
Registered
368 Posts
I was just browsing the Power FRK website and noticed that it is listed as 2007-2008 GT. Does it work on a 2006 GT. :confused: Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
Fergie said:
I was just browsing the Power FRK website and noticed that it is listed as 2007-2008 GT. Does it work on a 2006 GT. :confused: Thanks
Mine's on a 2006. I think they have a typo on their site. Shouldn't be any difference on the Gen. II K1200GT's. Give 'em a call and tell them.

Mack

·
Registered
30 Posts
GMack said:
Huh? :confused:

If it dies, it won't fix that. Just stumbling on acceleration is what I wanted it for and it succeeds in that. It won't cure any of the idle servo/airbox mechanical stuff either, just the crummy fuel mapping BMW uses. If it minimizes that so much the better, but I doubt if it will do that. I haven't seen it reach up and thumb the starter switch yet.

Fwiw, I agree that the GT isn't good in the technical twisties. It sort of wallows like a bloated pig (and it is!). Add some slow turning (i.e. rounded) tires and it can be a handful along with a touchy throttle action (better tighten up the cables a bit so they aren't as sloppy).

Mack
Sorry about the lack of journalistic skill..........What I meant was that when you roll off the throttle ever so slightly, the engine acts just like you'd shut it off when you then roll it back on a bit to compensate it then lurches rather than ramp up smoothly.

What I think is happening is that when you throttle back the injection shuts off the fuel completely until the new setting is matched.

Anyway, we agree but there is hope. It is a great bike in any event. :)

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
I just got back from riding around the mountains in Southern CA. Temps were around 86-96 degrees depending on elevations up to 5000' or so.

I was making an effort to hold the idle steady at different spots and especially at 3200 RPM where the thing often stumbled whenever I whacked it open to pass. No problem what so ever with the bike. Even made an effort to hold it at a steady 30 mph through a small town for a couple of miles and see if I could detect it stumbling or surging as the Ducati Streetfighter did. No suck luck, and the GT ran fine.

Thing ran like a top even in slow speed maneuvers and it used to be a fight to make it run well in sharp hair-pin areas like on Sonora Pass or the south end of the road into Sequoia National Park's Giant Forest area where throttle transition used to be a bit unsettling at times (like dying mid-turn whenever I would use the clutch!). Doesn't seem to be an issue now. Weird.

One thing I learned early on the GT was to get off the clutch and into a lower gear (2nd) whenever a sharp turn approached and not use it again until upright and underway. If you want something that will get to you, just have it die on a 10-15 mph hairpin going up a steep hill. Downhill you can coast it out, but no power uphill really bites and it's very heavy to try and hold upright - and sometimes with not much luck too!

So far though, I've had no issues stalling or stumbling after any freeway run over the past two months so I'm happy. I don't know what version that Martin of BMW shoved into the bike after he did the airbox stuff to it and he spent a lot of time staring at his laptop while the bike was at the bay. The GS-911 isn't as forthcoming on that info like I wish it would show. The Power FRK seems to have solved my mid-range stumbling issues so I'm very happy with it so far.

Today was a "Sit back and enjoy the ride day" and I didn't care if I got passed, even by a Harley. I didn't let the occasional Ogre "Pass their slow sorry @ss!" thing get to me today. The thing ran like it should. Yay!

Mack

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sonora - YES!

GMack said:
SNIP... Thing ran like a top even in slow speed maneuvers and it used to be a fight to make it run well in sharp hair-pin areas like on Sonora Pass or the south end of the road into Sequoia National Park's Giant Forest area where throttle transition used to be a bit unsettling at times (like dying mid-turn whenever I would use the clutch!). Doesn't seem to be an issue now. Weird.

SNIP
Mack
Mack,
Interesting that you mention Sonora Pass - because that is where I was last week (along with Monitor and Ebbetts) where the problems resurfaced - big time. My wife (riding pillon) was mentioning that I was not as "smooth" as normal - and it was true . WIth the snap action of the throttle in first and second gear coming out of a slow speed corner it was all sorts of fun.
Add on to that the high idle ( 2 -3K) and we were a 1000 lb ballistic missile on the down hill turns as I had no engine braking to speak of.
BUT - I still wish I was back up there riding - it was fanatastic!

I appreciate everyone's input and unless the PowerCommanderV with auto tune can be installed on the GT, I will be ordering up a PowerFrk tomorrow.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
43 Posts
It sounds like the FRK is compensating for lean fuel/air mixture stumbling and surging. Has the FRK install affected anyone's gas mileage?

·
Premium Member
2,680 Posts
WMD said:
Mack,
Interesting that you mention Sonora Pass - because that is where I was last week (along with Monitor and Ebbetts) where the problems resurfaced - big time. My wife (riding pillon) was mentioning that I was not as "smooth" as normal - and it was true . WIth the snap action of the throttle in first and second gear coming out of a slow speed corner it was all sorts of fun.
Add on to that the high idle ( 2 -3K) and we were a 1000 lb ballistic missile on the down hill turns as I had no engine braking to speak of.
BUT - I still wish I was back up there riding - it was fanatastic!

I appreciate everyone's input and unless the PowerCommanderV with auto tune can be installed on the GT, I will be ordering up a PowerFrk tomorrow.

Thanks,
Bill
Bill-

Sonora Pass is a hoot the day it opens once it's been closed for snow season. All sorts of snow and the road is maybe 99% dry due to sun, but the traffic gets very heavy as there are no places to pull off safely at the top. Traffic will just stop in the middle of the two-lane road and unload a bunch of kids or in mid-turn and an catch you off guard. The little towns covering the west side of the Pass down to Jamestown seem all geared up for the vacationers around then too. Nice area.

Cal-Trans does a wonderful job clearing the road and getting debris off the turns as a lot of motorcycles hit it the day it first opens. I saw a lot of their road equipment going west when I hit the resort at Pine Crest. The girl said they had just cleared the road around noon and were moving off the hill to some other area.

However, as you found out, the GT is about 300 pounds more than I care for on that Pass though - worse if it's misbehaving on throttle/fueling actions which mine was then. Made me wish for my old RT. Odd that I've never seen a Gold Wing up there and I know some that have fueling issues too (they get an F.I. warning light on some models). Cal-Trans seems to prefer gripper red-lava pumice for the roads in northern CA, and then scatter the nasty slippery sand for the south CA roads and even in towns.

One guy did dump his Harley Road Glide going westbound just below Sonora Pass. I was eastbound (which seems the worse direction to travel on that road to me!) from the lake and Inn at Pine Crest which is moderately cheap in the snow season, but price jumps like 2-3 times (to $160 at the motel/night) once the road opens for summer family crowds at the lake in late May. Nice place to crash for the night though before hitting the summit providing the restaurant is open and you get the better German cook. You can join the group on the restaurant/bar's patio fire-pit for a brew and the local's lies get pretty deep!

Mack

1 - 15 of 15 Posts