BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me '07 K12GT...

The previous owner added a second powerlet accessory socket on the left side of the machine. He believes but doesn't absolutely recall that he wired that direct to the battery to avoid the canbus. He further thinks he remembers that when he was in there he changed the original socket to a direct-to-battery connection as well.

Because his memory is less than stellar :rolleyes: I am trying to figure out how things are wired. Can I safely check these sockets with a multimeter and draw any helpful conclusions? I am a bit electrical engineering challenged for sure so if there is a procedure could someone please spell it out in simple layman's terms including setting the multimeter up right before use? Volts and ohms check?

My understanding is that the Canbus puts the socket to sleep after a period of time, thus requiring a high dollar charger that I don't want to buy and issues with heated gear. I have a basic Battery Tender with powerlet adapter but apparently that won't work unless at least one of these is direct wired to the battery.

Thanks in advance for any help! :bowdown:

BTW...is the original socket in the forward/front position on the side of these bikes? Was there a knock out spot next to it from the factory for an extra socket or did he have to do a custom job of installing another?

·
Registered
603 Posts
BTW...is the original socket in the forward/front position on the side of these bikes?

YES

Was there a knock out spot next to it from the factory for an extra socket

Yes

or did he have to do a custom job of installing another?
No

A suggestion. Maybe you can remove the plastics (tank cover) and easily follow the wires that were added.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
You can test those sockets with a multimeter.

Set the meter to read at least 12Vdc (most meters have a 20Vdc setting).

Leave the key off.

Put the red lead down the center of the socket and touch the center pin. Do not touch the side walls of the socket with the red lead.

Put the black lead at the edge of the socket and touch the outer wall.

Be careful not to touch the two leads together.

You should see around 12Vdc on the meter.

If you don't see any voltage, then remove the leads, turn the key on (shouldn't matter if the bike is running or not) and check again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts