BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

Present K-GT deleted from BMW Motorrad Website!

6K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Miles_Miller 
#1 ·
Now this is admittedly thin evidence that a new RT/GT is on it's way. Up until about a month ago under the "Tourers" section on the english version of the BMW Motorrad website, the current GT was listed.

I checked back a few days ago and it was not listed. The two remaining motorcycles listed in this category were the R12RT and the LT. There is a picture of the present GT in the background, though, in silver. I also checked in the "Sport Touring" section and the only bike listed there was the R12ST.

As of this juncture, BMW does not have a GT or RT four cylinder motorcycle for in its inventory. This should be an indication that a sport-tourer based on the new slant-four engine is not that far into the future.

By the way, the BMW USA website continues list the '04 GT; there still must be inventory for these '04's, or the website is just not up-to-date.

We'll see. Stay tuned.

Miles

#2 ·
Encouraging . . .

i just love your leaps of faith! Miles. Keep it going . . . you have the toughest job of all selling vaporware! But, a loyal and eager following will continue to populate this forum!

Best regards, will call you on the landline one of these days and discuss whatever.

#3 ·
04 K1200gt

Im riding a 04, to be fair im real happy I have one of the last. all the bugs of the new motor that ( will Problly show up on the new high output motor)., are not for me to debug. last bike I had I road for 23 years and im shure that the 04.s totaly tested refined and proven power plant will be kind to me for at least that long.

TRUST ME, I couldent be a happer guy.

#4 ·
Going down the list of forums, this "next-gen." forum is the fourth one down and hits you smack in the eyeballs!

Now, how are we going to live up to the billing this forum gets on our new website? So, yeah, let's give the site a lot of support. Let's all try and dig up information on this new motorcycle; a motorcycle, by the way, that BMW hasn't even officially admitted is coming.

And speaking of that, a roll-out to coincide with the May launch of the '06 FJR should be a target for BMW. In the northern hemisphere that's the beginning of the riding season and the new RT/GT needs to ready!! And many prospective riders of '06 sport-tourers should have a choice between the Beemer and the rest of the competition.

Miles

#5 ·
May '06 for the FJR?

If BMW wants to make a decent dent in the FJR sales, they should have the bike available for purchase a month before. Yeah, going head-to-head would make it competitive, but the marque needs to get there first, and steal the thunder.

Probably a good example of why I would never make it in marketing.

#6 ·
New sport tourer

I don't think we will see a new sport tourer based on the new K engine for atleast 2 years in the US markets. Look how slow the new S bike took to get to the states. I think there are a lot of set backs for BMW and for some reason they like to sit on their ass in the motorad division - somewhat crappy marketing directors in my eyes.

ONON-
Mark

#8 ·
Two Years! That's an awful long time to be selling "Vapor". <g> The launch of the K-S did seem like a long time coming, but there were some extenuating circumstances. First, the tease campaign was very un-BMW like and I bet they wish they could take that back. You know, the "Face-the-Power" tease, the compeition for the track-day in Germany, the press intro, and then dealer day. Second, that long pre-launch campaign was followed by the equally long recall of all the bikes last winter.

Actually, I think BMW is doing an amazing job, for a relatively small motorcycle division, of pumping new motorcycles and derivitives into the market. Initially, the fantastic 12GS, the all new RT, the HP2, the ST as well as the K-S. In fact, compared with the tease and delays of the K-S, the ST sort of came out of no-where behind the skirts of the RT and has functioned flawlessly. And don't forget the K-R; it jumped out from behind the screen at last year's Intermot to everyone's surprise.

So, who knows about the new "S" based RT/GT. There have been some rumors of last minute changes that may result in a somewhat postponed launch. For instance you hear about a new brake system competely different than on the present slant-fours and a different tranny to replace the cassette transmission in the K-S and R. Don't know, but I sure hope we see this bike hit the dealer showrooms early next year. There's one other item that might be a factor in getting this bike to market: behind this new bike, there will be a revised LT; at least it seems BMW would want all their "K" bikes to share the same engine archetecture.

Miles

#9 ·
Hydtguy said:
Im riding a 04, to be fair im real happy I have one of the last. all the bugs of the new motor that ( will Problly show up on the new high output motor)., are not for me to debug. last bike I had I road for 23 years and im shure that the 04.s totaly tested refined and proven power plant will be kind to me for at least that long.

TRUST ME, I couldent be a happer guy.
I have both ends of the "K" model run, a '85 K100RT & '04 K1200RS. A lot of the things that were wrong with the '85, are wrong with the '04, but it is a lot more refined than the '85. And both are as dependable and have the torque of a John Deere.
Bruce C

#10 ·
Miles_Miller said:
Now this is admittedly thin evidence that a new RT/GT is on it's way. Up until about a month ago under the "Tourers" section on the english version of the BMW Motorrad website, the current GT was listed.
The most persistent rumor through the dealer network is that the new GT (most believe it will be a GT) will debut at the dealers next spring. It may or may not be shown in any motorcycle shows prior to the announcement to the dealers.

#11 ·
jpalamaro said:
Not to be negative, but I have my Cerulean Silver FJR1300AE on order for yechhhh, May '06 delivery. Seems like a lifetime away! But, would lke the GT to be available before then . . . a tough decision!
I too now have my JFR AE on order.....Yea, I got back my $1,000 deposit I'd put down on a 06 BMW GT.....as I gave up on it as the bike didn't appear in Paris as the salesman told me it would. And while Yamaha's website already had the 06 AE with all the pics and details vs BMW's website which is so dated they still show an 04.............And I'm having so many problems with my Mercedes due to the stupid smucks at the dealership, the only German thing I want in my house for a while is weeners & Sourkrout......

#13 ·
That Paris rumor was a hot-one that a bunch of us got all caught up in; it suggests that yet another rumor is plausible - that the development and launch of the new GT has had a few setbacks - maybe the target was the Paris show, but it had to be delayed. Now we're all sitting around waiting for the surprise BMW announcement on Oct. 27th at the Birmingham Show in England. Not holding my breadth though, it could be the upcoming R1200S.

Well, we could be looking for straws; but the delete for the present GT in yet more BMW websites might mean something is cooking.

Loved the "weeners & Sourkraut..." comment. Very funny. Have to say, though, that I had one hell of a time opening a too tight lid on a jar of saurkraut the other day. <g>

Miles

#14 ·
BMWmotorcycles.com

I don't know if you guys are looking at the same website, but the K1200GT is still listed under the "travel" pull-down menu on the website, above. I assumed that this is the official website for bmw motorcycles in the USA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.