BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike is coming due for the 12K service, so I checked with my local dealer to see about an appointment and price. Opting to get all of the fluids replaced (brakes, clutch, antifreeze), since I purchased the bike used, the service manager told me that the overall cost would fall between $700 - 800.

Does this sound about right to you guys/gals? Seemed like it might be a little high to me, but I'm new to BMW so I'm not sure.

·
Registered
504 Posts
It's high !

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bob,

That sounds extremely high.

Mine is due and I was quoted $400 + "a little extra" for the annual.

Randy

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked with Battley Cycles and was quoted a price of $450 for the service. Add in the brake service, I was told $550. The service manager stressed the "estimate" part. Still, seems a big difference from the quote I was given by Bob's.

$450 - 550 sound more like it to you guys?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Definitely sounds better!

BTW....changing the brake fluid is part of the annual. The coolant should be flushed and replaced every 2 years. See this thread for an easy to use chart.

Randy

·
Registered
267 Posts
My recent quote for 12k + annual was about $700...I have since opt'ed to do everything myself except for the brake flush and the computer readout. Two most costly maintance items seem to be the valve check/replacement (60 work units ~4 hours labor = ~$300 bucks) and brake flush (40 units ~3 hours labor = ~$210 bucks).

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just completed the 12K on my GT. A BMW certified teck checked my valves for $135 (no adjustment needed); the BMW shop did the moditec/computer check and ABS system check for $39; I bought oil and oil filter, plugs and air filter for less than $100 and completed it in about 2 hours.

·
Registered
50 Posts
12K Service

The quote you received seem high. I had my 12K done on my bike and the dealer charged me 379.00 for everything (K1200GT 04)

It took a day to do it.

He read this number out of a service book. My dealer charges $69 an hour labor rate. Yours may be higher

·
Registered
437 Posts
the trick

the trick is specificity. do what u can yourself, then call dealers and quote valve check and computer printout. dont get intimidated by these things, the engines are just like cars. most dealers in florida charge around $400 for 12K. it is pure extortion, but they will do it as long as u let them do it. good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts