Registered
66 Posts
From another thread, from the US announcement-

"$19,000-21,000 depending on options."

·
Registered
85 Posts
New GT price

Dropped my '04 K12GT off today for the ECM update. Was talking to head parts man, a long time BMW veteran. Dan made the comment that they were expecting the new GT to be "high end" in price, as in $20,000 plus.

That being said, as much as I love my '04, even with its warts, I think the price of a new GT will be an issue for some. But then, BMW's are not purchased because they are price competitive.

When I bought my K12GT I knew that its resale was going to stink. But as I told my wife, we aren't buying this thing for resale, we are buying it to ride and enjoy. My wife loves our GT, she says its the RUSH that turns her on. Will we go for a new GT? Probably not. I think we will have our '04 for some time. We enjoy it and I just can't see taking such a hit on the resale just to have a new ride. Besides that, just how fast can you ride those beasts two-up?

With all of that said, I think I will really love the new GT. Its more of a touring bike than the current model. At the same time its more my style than the K12LT which I find just too darn big for the sporting rides we do.

I have noticed that when we are out and run into Goldwing riders that a fair number of them take a real interest in my K12GT. I would think that to them it looks like a small nimble sport bike after riding those land barges they are on. Its all relative, and its all to do with just what you want from your bike.

I look forward to seeing the new GT because like many others here I just LOVE motorcycles of all sorts.

Bring it on!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Was at the deler today in Montreal, it will sell in Canada for ~25000$ ...ouch!

My 2003 zebra is a keeper.

Eric

·
Registered
368 Posts
High quality = high price. Count of the new GT being priced according to it quality.
High quality = durability. Count on your current ride lasting a long time.
The K, any K, is a bike made to last. And, of course, we all knw, the presence of a new machine, while seductive, doesn't impact the quality of the ride you already have. It's the same quality today as yesterday, and will be the same tomorrow. A new GT will not make an old GT any less enjoyable, unless of course you take the new one for a ride. Once bitten....

They sure are hard to resist.

·
Registered
504 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
EricM said:
Was at the deler today in Montreal, it will sell in Canada for ~25000$ ...ouch!

My 2003 zebra is a keeper.

Eric
Whatdya mean, "Ouch"? Sure it is expensive, but the "old" K1200GT was about this price too.

Bob.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Boy do I have to adjust my expectations...

In 2003 I bought a brand new K1200LT with 2 CD players, front and rear heated seats, integrated ABS, heated grips, cruise control etc etc... for $17,000. ($3,000 BMW
anniversary discount, $1,000 dealer discount)..

I am torn between trading in my LT for a GT, or keeping by LT and buying an S or waiting until the next LT is out and then trading in my current LT...

I might spend 22 to 23K on the next generation LT, but if the current GT is that price I might just go buy a FJR as a 2nd bike..

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
The price will be whatever the market will bear. That being said, I hope the passenger seat and pegs are perfect, 'cus that is where my Chief Financial Officer will be sitting. If she isn't comfy the price doesn't matter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I mean Ouch as 25K without options. All the good stuf is optional ESA, cruise, on board computer.....

Two years ago when i bought the RS I paid 19K and had nothing to add! well except the Two Bros, verholen mirrors, Bagster tank bag.....

That's what I mean by ouch.

Oh and as for pricing in Vancouver expect it to be higher than out here.

Eric

·
Registered
15 Posts
Currency

When Canadians post prices of $25M for the new KGT, they are most likely referring to Canadian Dollars. At today's rates, $25M Canadian is $21,586 US, which is about right for the bike.

·
Registered
504 Posts
woodland142 said:
When Canadians post prices of $25M for the new KGT, they are most likely referring to Canadian Dollars. At today's rates, $25M Canadian is $21,586 US, which is about right for the bike.
Yes, Canadian dollars of course.

You can't always just do a straight conversion from Cdn$ to US$ based on the current exchange rate to figure out what the price would be in US$. I wish you could. Prices here in Canada are generally more (much more) then a straight conversion would dictate.

For example, a Z06 Corvette selling in the US is $65K but in Canada the car is $90K Cdn! This is an increase of nearly 50%! Whereas on a straight conversion basis the car should only be about 15% more in Cdn$. In fact, if you plug in 65000 US at http://www.xe.com/, the Canadian equivalent is $75, 283.

Just check the American Manufacturer website for a price on a car, boat, bike etc. then check the Canadian Manufacturer web site and look at the price. The difference tends to be far greater then the Exchange rate would dictate. It annoys me actually.

Where things have got better for Canadians with the stronger dollar is buying classic cars and such. There of course you just go to the bank, get a US Money order based on the current exchange rate, and complete the transaction. It used to be super expensive to bring up say, a 66 GTO but now it's far more reasonable. We do still have to pay 14% taxes at the border, tho even these are less of course since the price of the item is now less.

If the US price of a GT does end up being around $21.5K US and the Cdn price is $25K price then perhaps things are changing...it's about time. We've been gouged for too long!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts