BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I for one went to my BMW dealer to ask about a Pre-Order price for the 06GT, and I was told it would be MSRP. BBWWWWWWWWHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAAAAAAAAA

I then headed down to the Yamaha dealership and ordered a new Yamaha FJRAE (Automatic) for $12,999 which MSRP'd for $15,100.......BMW dealers have lost their minds if they think they can sell a $20K+ bike for MSRP.....Just wait, as those greedy BMW dealership's floors start filling up with bikes not moving, you should be able to get at least $3K knocked off of MSRP.

What kind of price have you guys been quoted?

·
Registered
768 Posts
downn2 said:
I for one went to my BMW dealer to ask about a Pre-Order price for the 06GT, and I was told it would be MSRP. BBWWWWWWWWHAHAHAHHHHAHAHAAAAAAAAA

I then headed down to the Yamaha dealership and ordered a new Yamaha FJRAE (Automatic) for $12,999 which MSRP'd for $15,100.......BMW dealers have lost their minds if they think they can sell a $20K+ bike for MSRP.....Just wait, as those greedy BMW dealership's floors start filling up with bikes not moving, you should be able to get at least $3K knocked off of MSRP.

What kind of price have you guys been quoted?
I would try another dealer, the ones in my region will negotiate on new or used.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I have the FJR1300AE, (gotta keep the faith up, not automatic but clutchless) on order also. Looks like one hell of a bike but the GT looks a tad better with the cruise etc.

I have concluded that there is something to the BMW 'Mystique'. Might be the Roundel, might be the automotive mystique spreading to motorcycles (tho' cycles came first), or perhaps the 'snob' appeal/exclusivity of the BMW name. Whatever! But assuredly I believe you may be mistaken . . . the GT's will sell, perhaps not to NEW markets, but the BMW afficianados (most) will buy! Also, don't forget the 3 year warranty altho' I think Yamamamamamama has a 400 dollar or so extended warranty!

Good luck . . . hmmm, perhaps the FJR1300AE AND K1200GT bling bling!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem I have with BMW

jpalamaro said:
I have the FJR1300AE, (gotta keep the faith up, not automatic but clutchless) on order also. Looks like one hell of a bike but the GT looks a tad better with the cruise etc.

I have concluded that there is something to the BMW 'Mystique'. Might be the Roundel, might be the automotive mystique spreading to motorcycles (tho' cycles came first), or perhaps the 'snob' appeal/exclusivity of the BMW name. Whatever! But assuredly I believe you may be mistaken . . . the GT's will sell, perhaps not to NEW markets, but the BMW afficianados (most) will buy! Also, don't forget the 3 year warranty altho' I think Yamamamamamama has a 400 dollar or so extended warranty!

Good luck . . . hmmm, perhaps the FJR1300AE AND K1200GT bling bling!

Is not only the Dealer's unwillingness to negotiate, but THE DEALER himself who also a Franchise dealer for I don't know 5 other makes of foreign made Bikes, including British & Italian!.......Anyone of which is a real pain to keep running.....My question is, how on earth can a mechanic keep up with all the recalls, service bulletins from all those manufactures, when keeping up with BMW in itself is so complicated alone. And I feel certain most of the Dealers are too cheap to spend the money to send their mechanics to Germany for a month to become certified technician, thus properly learn the bikes.....I think this is the REAL ANSWER as to why I see all the complaints in here about BMWs having staying in the shop for weeks if not months.....and when they do get out, the problem hasn't been resolved.....NO thanks!!! Yea, it's kewl to drive the most expensive bike to keep running........but I wouldn't see that many people who'd know what I was ridding anyway on my way back and forth to/from the shop as it's in the outskirts of Dallas...

And they want me to have to put up with all of that and PAY MSRP? They're NUTS!

·
Registered
910 Posts
downn2 said:
And I feel certain most of the Dealers are too cheap to spend the money to send their mechanics to Germany for a month to become certified technician, thus properly learn the bikes.....I think this is the REAL ANSWER as to why I see all the complaints in here about BMWs having staying in the shop for weeks if not months.....and when they do get out, the problem hasn't been resolved.....NO thanks!!! And they want me to have to put up with all of that and PAY MSRP? They're NUTS!
Whew! Snipped some of this stuff to provide my information.

There are two dealers in the Seattle Area, Ride West and Southsound BMW. Training and certification to work on BMW motorcycles takes place in California, not Spandau. Sheesh.

My K-S was delivered last May with a defective ABS module. My dealer, at no cost to me, flatbedded my bike to the dealership and in two work days the K-S trained techs had dissasembled the bike and completely replaced the defective braking system with a new one. The bike was thoroughly roadtested at the dealership and returned to me in the same trailer that retrieved the bike. The abs system has worked flawlessly over the next 5,000 miles.

I was so impressed with the excellence of this highly trained team, that I delivered something of my own - a ten lb box of Boehm chocolates to the dealership. On two different occasions the General Mgr. of the dealership called to follow-up on their work.

While this was going on, this General Mgr. informed me that BMWNA "REQUIRED" each dealership to send at least one Tech to get "certified" on the K-S before "ANY" K-S's were delivered to a dealership.

He also said the abs module transplant was made easier (and could be accompolished more quickly) compared to previous BMW motorcycles. It seems BMW engineers in the design stages insured that the bike be made exceptionally easy to work on.

The diagnostic equipment at the shop (which each dealership is required to obtain) when hooked to the K-S can tell before any work is carried out whether the valves need adjustment. It's also been brought to my attention that these bikes are routinely going past 24,000 miles w/o the need for this type of activity.

Yeah right - Yamahammer whatever. Another Sheesh.

Oh yes, four weeks ago, I wandered into the local Honda dealership to meet a friend who was considering an ST1300 that was on sale for "thousands less" than an RT. Man, we finally got to this dust ridden thing after stumbling over a collections of ATV's, left over jet-skis, generators; but I have to tell you, the lawnmowers were just as red as some of the bikes - when you find them. Oh, by the way - no test ride - unless of course you wanted to try out the mower. A third Sheesh! And when it was time to leave, the "Parts" guy was outside literally drooling on my K-S. "Damn, I'd love to trade my VFR on one of these....."

Miles

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
Miles_Miller said:
And when it was time to leave, the "Parts" guy was outside literally drooling on my K-S. "Damn, I'd love to trade my VFR on one of these....."
Priceless!!!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Honestly, I got the same response from the folks at the Yamamamama dealership AND HD dealership when I showed with the 12S. They were all circling the 12S like it was a legendary cycle!

·
Registered
486 Posts
downn2 said:
Is not only the Dealer's unwillingness to negotiate, but THE DEALER himself who also a Franchise dealer for I don't know 5 other makes of foreign made Bikes, including British & Italian!.......Anyone of which is a real pain to keep running.....My question is, how on earth can a mechanic keep up with all the recalls, service bulletins from all those manufactures, when keeping up with BMW in itself is so complicated alone. And I feel certain most of the Dealers are too cheap to spend the money to send their mechanics to Germany for a month to become certified technician, thus properly learn the bikes.....I think this is the REAL ANSWER as to why I see all the complaints in here about BMWs having staying in the shop for weeks if not months.....and when they do get out, the problem hasn't been resolved.....NO thanks!!! Yea, it's kewl to drive the most expensive bike to keep running........but I wouldn't see that many people who'd know what I was ridding anyway on my way back and forth to/from the shop as it's in the outskirts of Dallas...

And they want me to have to put up with all of that and PAY MSRP? They're NUTS!
Huuuuuum! I guess you've never bought a Harley in the last 15 - 20 years. Paying MSRP for a Harley considered a real bargin back then. But times are changing, slowing but surely.

·
Registered
212 Posts
service

i'm with Miles my service at martys in torrance was great now its at bmw long beach same great service

·
Registered
373 Posts
They will get MSRP on any new vehicle, because people need to have the latest and greatest one's available. Look at the new Mustang, or Ford GT. If, the dealer can get it, I can't blame him. Would I pay it? No! I would wait for the rush to be over and the bugs worked out. I think my 04GT is better looking, but I do think the new upgrades in power, seat design, and ergonomics would sway me. I wanted a new Mini Cooper S, when they came out. But, I didn't run to the Daewoo dealer and glout of the money I saved. I sat on a new FJR last week while looking for riding gear for my wife for Christmas. It felt small and toy like to me. And it certainly did not have the "presence" of my Beemer. But, to each his own.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Golden Rule

Miles_Miller said:
Whew! Snipped some of this stuff to provide my information.

There are two dealers in the Seattle Area, Ride West and Southsound BMW. Training and certification to work on BMW motorcycles takes place in California, not Spandau. Sheesh.

My K-S was delivered last May with a defective ABS module. My dealer, at no cost to me, flatbedded my bike to the dealership and in two work days the K-S trained techs had dissasembled the bike and completely replaced the defective braking system with a new one. The bike was thoroughly roadtested at the dealership and returned to me in the same trailer that retrieved the bike. The abs system has worked flawlessly over the next 5,000 miles.

And when it was time to leave, the "Parts" guy was outside literally drooling on my K-S. "Damn, I'd love to trade my VFR on one of these....."

Miles
#1 I ain't in Seattle, I'm in Texas and things are a little different down here.......Like 100 miles between dealers........Yea, and that little flatbed trip from here to Cal would take two-3 weeks away......Nor do I want my $22,000 motorcycle with ZERO miles completely dissasembled and reassembled by Juan who just crossed the river while his boss, some dude who's is certified, is off somewhere enjoying his 2 week vacation......

#2 Yea, anyone would perfer a $22,000 MBW over a $10,000 Honda if it was given to them.

#3 My Honda lawnmower has never given me a single bit of trouble in 10 years either...You might consider getting a riding one, that is in case you need alternative transportation the next time the whatever goes out on your BMW...Beats walking

·
Registered
236 Posts
jpalamaro said:

Hey you guys...re: the FJR. I'll probably take a look at it before the potential of pulling the trigger on a GT. I know there is no cruise on the FJR but the thing that has me wondering the most is the 5 speed transmission. Every time I ride something with 5 speeds it seems like I am always reaching for another gear.

Anyone have any experience with the FJR that would share an opinion.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The only bike that I kept upshifting to no avail was my HD Road King; but then again, no gear indicator, blah, blah, a 6 seemed natural. The LT only has 5 and seems ok. The 12S and 12GS almost seem that the 6th, while nice, not really needed unless cruising at 100.

Now my Jeep Wrangler/X with 6 speeds. A real PITA . . . my old Wrangler had 5 and was a PITA, now 6. Yechhhhh!

Regards to ya Doug . . . FJR does indeed look interesting. try www.fjrforum.com for some serious looksees!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Honey, gotta go, I'm late for work!!

cruizbz said:
I sat on a new FJR last week while looking for riding gear for my wife for Christmas. It felt small and toy like to me. And it certainly did not have the "presence" of my Beemer. But, to each his own.

Here's a short clip (tank cam) of me riding my toy FJR.........yea, I was running a little late to work. Made it there on time though.......as far as "presence", nobody's usually around me long enough to be aware of my presence!!!.

http://tinyurl.com/dgcu6

·
Registered
200 Posts
BMW Chicago

Try them for pricing. Seem willing to sell and usually have stock. Good luck with the Universal Japanese Motorcycle. I still enjoy the fact that the local dealer stocks parts for a /6. Locally there are shops that specialize in older BMW's. Does not happen with a UJM. But then I tend to keep things a long time, Only the important things, you know like wives, cars, dogs, motorcycles, houses, boats, guns.

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
new kgt

I had the same feeling when I sat on the K1200s compared to my kgt, faster yes, "presence" no. The new GT looks to have "presence lots of presence" unfortunately its kind of like an S with several lbs stuck on it and no BMWness IMHO

Originally Posted by cruizbz
I sat on a new FJR last week while looking for riding gear for my wife for Christmas. It felt small and toy like to me. And it certainly did not have the "presence" of my Beemer. But, to each his own.

·
Registered
134 Posts
In no shape or form will I pay MSRP for any BMW motorcycle. Sure they will sell GTs, to existing owners and perhaps a smattering of new comers but once the existing owners are sold to BMW will be back with incentives trying to sell the bikes.

Still waiting for someone to come up with dealer cost. We usually get that pretty early and its a good thing to know. Why? Because if the dealer will lie to about how much it cost them and they can't come down the lies won't stop there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
THE MSRP FOR THE 06 BMWK1200GT is

$23,800 U.S.Dollars loaded (equipment Package 3)

Here the Canadian pricing from BMW Motorrad Canada

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1017

So, you put down a deposit for a 06 GT with your local BMW dealer who claimed he didn't know the pricing for the O6s, TEHEEHEEE, but being a loyal customer he guarenteed you, you could have it for the MSRP huh? Now, only to find out your gonna be the proud owner of a $25,400 freaking motorcycle (inc TT&L)....

BWWWAAAAAAAAAHAHHAAAHAAAHHAAAAAAAHAHAHAAAA

Well, all I can say is, I don't think it's a good idea to mix Germans w Americans, if they can't screw ya to the wall, they'll try to GAS YA!!!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
downn2 said:
$23,800 U.S.Dollars loaded (equipment Package 3)

Here the Canadian pricing from BMW Motorrad Canada

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1017
:rolleyes: WEll, that explains a lot about your attitude! It's that wanna be French thing isn't it? :crazy:
Pricing in the states is different as the dealers do not accept rodent pelts for payment.

Besides with like 5 miles of road up there and 2 days of summer, what difference does it make what you ride?

But I guess I would be pissed off, too. If, I lived in the apartment above the party. And knew I would never be invited. :(

Wanna bet which bike is going to be worth more in 10 years and 200,000 miles. My GT or your Rice burner? :bmw:

·
Registered
373 Posts
When, people ask about your Yamahaha. Do you mention the great engineering history of their pianos? To bad the greatest flaming ***, Liberace wouldn't be seen near one. Being legal up there, I am sure that would impress the other 2 dozen Canadians who live there, eh! ;)

Of course us BMW owners have moments to be ashamed of, too.
Like every time Jacque Villagenut will be seen near an F1 car. :confused:

What ya' gonna do? Send the Queen down to give us a stern talking!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts