BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up another K1200GT after selling my 03 GT in 2010 for a Kawi Concours 14. Only had it a few days and then this happens:

https://youtu.be/75oSeCobZsg

Brakes seem to work fine. Servos go on front and rear, the rear brake light works and the fluid levels look ok. The one thing that seems to be different is that the servos kick in even before startup, which it didn’t do before. Yet when riding the brake failure and general warning triangle alternate flashing. What am I missing, o wise ones of the Interweb?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just picked up another K1200GT after selling my 03 GT in 2010 for a Kawi Concours 14. Only had it a few days and then this happens:

https://youtu.be/75oSeCobZsg

Brakes seem to work fine. Servos go on front and rear, the rear brake light works and the fluid levels look ok. The one thing that seems to be different is that the servos kick in even before startup, which it didn’t do before. Yet when riding the brake failure and general warning triangle alternate flashing. What am I missing, o wise ones of the Interweb?
Ok... we have 2 related iABS questions here:

QUESTION 1: The pattern shown in your video: a pattern of slow ALTERNATE warnings (ABS + General Warnings) means:
low fluid in either OR BOTH sections of the brake fluid container located on right side below seat (see attached photo...) outward section is for REAR brake, inward section is for FRONT brake.

IMPORTANT: as the brake pads wear (front and rear), the corresponding container section fluid level will gradually go down. In general, everything being correct (no leak in system), the low-fluid warning is often a sign that either brake pads are worn close to the limit. On these iABS with servos, unless you have an abnormal leak, the fluid level will NOT go down in the handlebar container as the pads wear.

QUESTION 2: the ABS modulator Servos noise should kick in these conditions:
(a) just after ignition ON, during internal ABs unit self-check, for a about 2 seconds.
(b) when you apply front LEVER or rear brakee PEDAL if ignition is ON (even if engine is not running).

HENCE, I cannot understand your question on "...servos kick in even before startup..." AS I do NOT see / hear anything abnormal in your video.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts