BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
My wife had been Eyeballing this 2008 K1200gt since last fall at Bentonville BMW,
We had a K1200LT (light truck) for 2 years & I sold it & went to an R1100rt she was happy with the RT except she thought it had to many miles on it.
Well we were up around Bentonville about 250miles from the house & we stopped in and it was still there.
We finally took it for a test ride & then came back and took it for about a 100 mile test ride back roads & Super Slab
Came away extremely impressed
Made an offer & will be picking it up next Tuesday.
Then this weekend I started reading the Cam Chain tensioner & guard stories & costs.
Well, It only has 5695 miles on it & it has had it's 6000 mile check up, but I will double check about the tensioner & guard
I have ordered Suburban Machinery lower pegs Passenger & Driver, plus the Bar backs
It has some type of Slip on Pipe I think remus, but I will be putting the stock one back one.
We were going to take the R1100rt to Alaska in June, May take the K12 now.
What do you think?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Once you get your verification on the chain jump guard and tensioner,( just look at the tensioner and you will be able to tell if it's the "upgraded" model. The crappier one has a flat plate on the outside. The upgraded one has a cylinder that protrudes externally). OR get an APE manual tensioner and leave your worries behind :teeth .
You may still have 10k-15k miles before the ABS motor craps out. Same for the fuel strip :wtf: So you should be good to go for your trip.

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
I think the '08 bikes had the upgraded cam chain tensioner installed from the factory.

It's part #9 in this pic:

The main difference is that it has a built-in oil reservoir, which is the large cylinder at the top (right next to the 12 in the pic).

If you look at this pic:

You can see the new tensioner in the top right corner, nestled between the frame rails. It's the black cylinder with a white sticker with a small BMW logo.

The old style tensioner was just a flat plate covering that same hole, with no upper cylinder, so it's pretty easy to tell just by looking at it.

Just remove the right side fairing panel and you'll know.

That upper pic also shows the cam chain jump guard as part # 17, but the lower pic doesn't show the jump guard installed.

One thing to do is to make sure that your bike has had all the appropriate Recalls and Service Bulletins done. A good dealer will already have all that sorted, but it's worth double checking when you pick the bike up.

As for fuel strips and ABS, I never had any issues with either in 138,000 miles on my '07 GT. :bmw:

·
IBR# 366
3,145 Posts
moymurfs said:
And here is my 08 delivered with the original tensioner
Good to know. That's why it's always worth checking on these things. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First thanks for the replies.
So if tensioner & guard are in place then ride it & maintain it until something fails.
Enjoy riding it until something fails part :teeth

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sanders65 said:
First thanks for the replies.
So if tensioner & guard are in place then ride it & maintain it until something fails.
Enjoy riding it until something fails part :teeth
ZACTLY ! ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
David
Thanks for the offer, we may make contact & buy you a beverage & make conversation if nothing else.
Have you changed the tires on your GT yourself?
What tire do you recommend?
Next question is : Has anyone put a luggage rack on their Top Case?
Thanks again

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yeah, I do my own tire changes (as long as I'm home) using a NoMar tire changer for
several years. It works well. Touring tires can be difficult to get on the rim and it helps
a lot to have a warm tire, like 120F or better. So I use a tire warmer, same thing used by
racers. It makes a big difference. Leaving it sit in the sun on a hot day works almost as good.
I've used Avon Storms but more recently the Michelin Pilot Road 3 and get great mileage
with them on both my K1200 and my wife's Norge. Get the C load rated tire for the rear.

My clutch makes a bit of a squeal at take off but otherwise no problems. Others have had issues.

BTW, I meant to say "my K has been over it (the AlCan aka Alaska Highway) a couple of times."

If you are adventurous, a couple hundred of us meet up at Dawson City for summer
solstice June 19/20. See info on the Alaska regional section of ADV at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928390
If you have any questions about traveling in the north, fire away.
David

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
David,
What kind of rear tire mileage do you get?
It's 4,000 +- miles from here to Fairbanks.
This will be first time on the K1200gt so I have no Idea of mileage.
The whole trip will be between 8 to 10,000 miles :teeth

·
Registered
108 Posts
tire mileage

Maintenance log entries:
9/22/11 Avon Storm 2 Ultra 120/70ZR-17, 180/55ZR-17 @16,700 miles Denver
4/30/12 Installed Michelin PR3 120/70ZR-17 58W, 180/55ZR-17 73W B @ 24,550 miles Seattle
6/13/13 Replace front Michelin PR3 120/70ZR-17 58W @ 34,720 miles Fairbanks
6/15/13 Replace rear Michelin PR3 180/55ZR-17 73W @ 34,875 miles Fairbanks

The Avon Storm 2 Ultra installed in Denver were ready to be replaced, they had partial
AlCan since we took the ferry from Haines to Prince Rupert. Most of the AlCan is
chip-seal and supposedly wears tires faster.

So 10,325 miles on the PR3s and that included full AlCan miles. Neither tire was
completely worn out and could have gone further but I had the new tires and for once didn't
try to squeeze every last drop out.

The PR3's were a longer lasting tire for me. I think its possible to do your entire trip on a
fresh set. I am not riding two-up. I said load C but really meant B in an earlier post.

I do try (emphasis on the "try") to lay off the throttle when touring to preserve the tires.
At least avoid burnouts :teeth

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No problem avoiding burnouts :teeth
In fact since we won't have the Gt until about 26 days before we want to leave for Alaska we will probably be taking our 90,000 mile R1100rt, figured from the stories I have read about the trip 2 old (65+) farts like us need to know the motorcycle inside & out for that type of trip, but we may just take the GT it will depend on whether we can do 400 + mile days on it without changing seats.
Hell we're old you never know what we will do :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bentonville BMW notified me yesterday that the Cam tensioner & the cam chain guard had been update on the K1200gt that I will pickup on Tuesday (20th) & was all done under BMW recall, even though this Bike is a 2008.
I've been dealing with Bentonville BMW in Bentonville, Arkansas since 2008 & without a doubt it is the best dealership I have ever dealt with.
Bob, Jerry, Denise, Toni & the rest are great to say the least. :clap:

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's good news. I did the jump guard and updated tensioner in 2011. It was running great
before and still is at 37k. A few other changes:

Suburban bar backs were great. Peg lowering kit OK but stock position was better.
I should sell the peg lowering kit someday...

Aeroflow windshield and Aero guards work very well. Stock windshield was noisy.

If it has the stock battery replace it with the Odyssey 680 asap. No question.

I didn't like the stock seat and got a Bill Mayer, better but not enough. Bought another
seat off ebay and had a Russell seat built, that worked for me. Sold the Mayer seat.

We use Gerbing gear and installed built-in controllers plus fuse block for accessory
power jacks and etc. Several threads here on that.

Alaska stuff: there are two good BMW dealers, Trails End BMW in Fairbanks and The
Motorcycle Shop in Anchorage. There is a lot of motorcycle traffic to Alaska and both
shops get very busy. There are several good independent shops in both towns. Plus
there are several of us riders that can supply help when needed. See the Emergency
Phone Tree on the Alaska Leather site.
My phone number is at the top of the Fairbanks list.

First time north?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is definitely the first time that far north.
We've been to Glacier Nat'l Park & into Winterton Park BC, then across Alberta to Moose Jaw, Sasketchwan then home.
We've been coast to coast, but we figured if we didn't do the Trip to Alaska, we would regret it, like some friends we have that just got to old to want to do it.
Just need to make the trip, we have been talking about it even before we retired.
So we are Alaska bound :clap:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts