BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a freakish warm spell here in the mountains the last couple of days... Went for a short ride with a buddy today up to a new piece O' property Amber and I just bought on a nearby mountain.. here's a shot of it.. Cool, huh?

Changed the oil for the first time after we got back at 640 miles on the odometer..THAT was interesting..! Hate that little platic drain tube, but... could be worse. Every day I ride this bike sucks me in.. After an initial first bad impression.. My opinion has done a 180... Love it and it has very little to do with the massive HP...

Just about an hour ago I was finishing up on my favorite curvy 20 mile loop and came up on some squids... The last section (on 74A going west from Lake Lure) is a mini- Deals Gap with about 16 of the prettiest perfectly banked curves you'll see. Usually the squids sit at either end and wait for all the cars to pass so they can make a clean run as there is only one place to pass and if you get stuck behind a car.. you stay stuck...

Anyway just as I approached the "squid-staging" area I see about 5 about to pull out for a downhill run... they let me pass then all come after me..... I know there game as I usually ride my MV up there with them... While I'm still learning to ride the S fast and have been a little tentative up to this point... I knew what I had to do... In a word.. I smoked them all. I let them get right on my ass then dropped the hammer and ran off from all of them... Didn't quite drag the pegs but I was close as I ground off part of my boot pucks on both sides.

We get to the bottom of the run and I pulled over and wait for them to pull in behind me..

Got my helmet off (Everyone here is under 30) and a squid on a Honda RR something says.. "Damn.. I've never seen a BMW do THAT!!"

Made my day... Old guys rule!

·
Maestro de Turismo
406 Posts
I just love days like that - being old"er" has its moments.

By the way Pirate, I notice that both bikes in the picture seem to have some sort of square light or something under front the fairing, between the mud guard and the light housing.

What is it? Is that something both you and your buddy put on th bike, or have I simply not paid enough attention to my own K12S to realise that I have something similar?

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
Pirate said:
Anyway just as I approached the "squid-staging" area ..... I knew what I had to do... In a word.. I smoked them all. I let them get right on my ass then dropped the hammer and ran off from all of them... Didn't quite drag the pegs but I was close as I ground off part of my boot pucks on both sides.

We get to the bottom of the run and I pulled over and wait for them to pull in behind me..
So maybe you can clarify a little something for me here Jerry..............

Who exactly was acting like a squid?? :D :hypocrite

·
Registered
108 Posts
Smoked em

Great story Jerry...that S has an irresistable allure, doesn't she?..After reading your initial post when you first got her, I remember thinking...oh yeah...wait till she works her witchcraft on him...resistance is futile. Thanks for sharing a cool tale. By the way...love the white on white.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HDF... The first thing I wanted to put on the S was some Piaas... but there doesn't seem to be enough room for the standard round or 1400 series due to the dual air scoops AND the low clearance between the headlight and fender.. so.. I installed a single PIAA 2100 series light.. These are the ones that are about 4.5" wide and only 2.5" tall. They come in a pair so I sold the second one to my buddy. All he needed was another harness and he just happened to have one from an old Piaa kit... The effect is Cyclops-ian.. I'm very happy with it.. The best part.. The mounting kit for the light on the S cost me only $4 at Home Depot.

and yes Tim...Now that you mention it... It is like calling the kettle black. The difference is.. I know my limitations... ;-)

hdf said:
I just love days like that - being old"er" has its moments.

By the way Pirate, I notice that both bikes in the picture seem to have some sort of square light or something under front the fairing, between the mud guard and the light housing.

What is it? Is that something both you and your buddy put on th bike, or have I simply not paid enough attention to my own K12S to realise that I have something similar?

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
Dude! That custom paintjob and powdercoated wheels look just AWESOME!!!! Wow!

Nicely done!

·
Registered
332 Posts
eljeffe said:
Dude! That custom paintjob and powdercoated wheels look just AWESOME!!!! Wow!

Nicely done!
I'll second that opinion.
Was never big on white bikes, but on the S, it looks perfect.
Lenny

·
Registered
288 Posts
Fine-looking machine, sir. I assume that's the Corbin smuggler...No hindrance hanging off that? I've been eyeballing it for a while but am on the fence. Again, very nice job.

·
Registered
349 Posts
What the youngsters haven't figured out yet is how to get the most out of what they are on. They seem to think a faster bike is the answer to going faster, old folks know better. Glad you had some fun.

·
Registered
730 Posts
In the sweepers, very few bikes can hang with the K12, but the sportbikes do rule in the tight technical stuff.

The bike looks great Jerry!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sir Zombiewolf.. Yep.. dat be the Corbin in all it's criminally priced glory.

and surprisingly.. there's no prob at all hanging off in spite of the deep pocket on it.. Guess you haven't been keeping up with the full 2 part review I gave in this and last months cheesy newsletter??.. Geezz. Don't get me started... Here is an excerpt.. (pasted)

So.. You are wondering how the seat actually performs? Pretty damn good. The lowered height is perfect for my 31" inseam. I can almost stand flatfoot. While all Corbin seats are very firm initially and take a while to break in, mine is very comfortable. For my fellow corner carvers out there, don't let the look of the deep pocket fool you..You are mostly sitting forward of that if positioned properly. It's very easy to slide from side to side and/or hang off. Surprisingly.. I really like both the feel and the look. The seat is waaaay too heavy, but otherwise... it's a keeper. Compared to a Sargent seat which uses state of the art lightweight plastics for their molded seat pans, Corbin must be using IRON or concrete as it would break your foot should you drop it.

zombiewolf said:
Fine-looking machine, sir. I assume that's the Corbin smuggler...No hindrance hanging off that? I've been eyeballing it for a while but am on the fence. Again, very nice job.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would agree sportrider.. While the S handles great for it's weight and Peterbuilt wheelbase... my MV would smoke it at Deals Gap or any technical venue with a similarly skilled rider.. Too bad it's not 3" shorter.. Then it would be a power that the gods would fear.. but on the other hand.. I can ride the S all day and not feel beat up when I get off.. ;-)

sportrider said:
In the sweepers, very few bikes can hang with the K12, but the sportbikes do rule in the tight technical stuff.

The bike looks great Jerry!

·
Registered
212 Posts
white s

jerry bike looks great in white.glad you like it how.if you have time post some other pic like your torque arm.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Congratulations Jerry and Amber on the property. I just love that area and that road. I grew up just on the other side of several ridges between Old Fort and Marion and have ridden that wonderful road many times. The bike looks great.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nice looking bike my friend. At a quick glance I thought it was Yoko!
The Smuggler looks as an integral part of the bike. Glad that whole Corbin saga is over.
I hope other manifacturers give them some competition (like Sargent etc) soon. What they portray on their TV show and reality aparently do not jive. Very disappointing for such a large vendor. Anyway, you got yours and that's that.
Weather here sucks!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm on the list with Seargent whenever they get to the S.

I like the stock seat, but like anything, there's always room for improvement.

...and beating some young squids on sportbikes is priceless.
:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oooooooo

Pirate, the paint job looks beautiful! Smokem if you got em... :bmw:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts