BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems I've heard this issue discussed before, but don't remember all the details.

I am in the process of preparing an order with SW MOTO for a new set of Metzler Z-6's. Two sizes are designated for the rear. One size is 180/55 ZR 17, the other is 180/55 ZR 17 "B". Which one is the proper tire size, and what is the "B" designation all about?
A "B" designation is not listed for the front tire.

Thanks for your help.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
589 Posts
The "B" is supposed to be a stiffer sidewall to handle the aditional weight of the mighty K. I have heard favorable reports from people using both the "B" and the regular Z6. Perhaps someone will weigh in with some more info on the need for the "B" rear tire.
What ever the reason is, I don't recall the front tire requiring the heavier "B" construction.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Bob, for the response......

By the way, I sent my order for some Challenger Earplugs to you on Tuesday. Hopefully, the Challengers will cure my earplug problems (the generic ones I have will not stay in my ear).

Now, if I can just get some tires in life will be good.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
438 Posts
Metzeler B rated tires for 5.5 rear wheel only

Hi All
The 'B' rated tire is for the 5.5 inch rear wheel not the OEM 5.0 wheel. The 'B' compound is for the rear tire only and it is for heavier bikes like the K1200RS. This info is on the Metzler web site. I bought a new 5.5 wheel with the thought of up sizing but have since hesitated because I have heard that the wider tire makes turns more difficult! Not sure this is true but I need further research and discussions before I put the wider wheel on the bike. I'm chicken I guess.

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Metzler 'B' compound rear tire for 5.5 wheel not 5.0 OEM wheel

The 'B' compound is for the 5.5 inch rear wheel not the OEM 5.0 inch rear wheel. I forget the additional lbs rating but if you have a K1200RS and have a 5.5 inch rear wheel you'd better have the 'B' compound rear tire per Metzler!
I printed all the Metzler specs for this very issue I speak the truth.

·
Registered
438 Posts

·
5,163 Posts
Hmmm...no difference in load-carrying capacity, but the 935 number isn't correct, either.

....................A....B.........C...D...E...F..G..H...Z
180/55ZR17..(73W) R 5.50 5.50-6.00 178 630 805 42 186 6.6 12.76
180/55ZR17B (73W) R 5.50 5.50-6.00 178 630 805 42 186 6.6 12.80
180/55ZR17C (73W) R 5.50 5.50-6.00 178 630 805 42 186 6.6 14.00

(A) Measuring Rim: inches (B) Rims Permitted: inches (C) Max Width: mm
(D) Max Diameter: mm (E) Load Capacity: lbs (F) Max PSI: lbs (G) Max Speed: mph
(H) Tread Depth: mm (Z) Tire Weight: lbs

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
438 Posts
You're comparing all 5.5 inch wheels, ie no difference all 805 lbs, but the 5.0 wheel is as I stated 783 lbs. Don't know where the 9xx lbs number came from.

·
5,163 Posts
The 935 number came from a Metzler sheet on the Z-6. That weight apparently has been decreased since the first publication. The "B" version is only available with the 180 tire, with emphasis from Metzeler that it was designed for heavier bikes like the BMW GT and LT. The original sheet didn't mention the RS, which is kind of odd, since the weight difference of both the RS and GT without bags is probably no more than 20 lbs. However, it's odd (to me anyway) that the "B" version is designed for heavier bikes w/o an increase in load-carrying capacity. The "B" version is a bit heavier, and the "C" version (first I've seen of a "C" version) weighs in a bit more.

The "B" version may have a stiffer sidewall, which would be helpful if the tire went flat, but the non-B version seemed to be quite stable when mine went flat. Felt a bit odd on curves at 70 MPH was all...

After two years and four sets of Z-6's, I'm convinced that they're a great tire, Metzeler spec sheets not withstanding. Next tires will probably be Continental R/A's.

When the Z-4's were available, both front and rear were available in "B" version as well as "K" version. Nobody at the BMW dealerships I spoke to had any idea why there were two different "specials" for the BMW bikes.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
438 Posts
We have a disconnect going on! You keep mentioning tires and I keep mentioning wheels. The OEM K1200RS wheel I believe for all 97-04 was a 5.0 inch wheel, ie the 170/60 tire. The 5.5 inch wheel may have been the OEM wheel for 05. However, if you put a 5.5 inch wheel on the RS bike you have to have the 'B' compound 180/55. The tires you posted all require the 5.5 inch wheel, so there would be no difference in load capacity because they're all the same size. Only the 5.0 inch wheel with the 170/60 tire has a lesser capacity.
Did the GT and LT models come standard with the 5.5 inch wheel and the RS model the 5.0 wheel? That maybe is where I am getting confused, and you're talking about GT/LT. Regardless, you now have all the facts, happy looking, and I'm confused but going to bed.

·
5,163 Posts
2003 BMW started two things...the introduction of the GT and the 5.5" wheel. Some initial GT's came with a 5" wheel, but they shortly went with the 5.5", along with the next production run of the RS. The 170 tire fits the 5", the 180 fits the 5.5". Metzeler started fussing with letters in the latter half of 2002 on the Z-4, and you could get the "B" on the 170/5" as well. Then Metzeler came out with the Z-6 in May-June of 2004, but only had a "B" version for the rear. By then, the 170 wasn't applicable for the RS/GT, so you don't see any Z-6B's for 5" wheels.

LT's I think still run on ME880's...:teeth

Just more info...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Do you know if the 5.5 wheel, with the corresponding larger 180/55 tire, is more difficult to 'turn in' to corners than the 5.0 wheel and 170/60 tire? I have heard this and that is why I am hesitant to put the 5.5 wheel I bought on my 98 RS! However, I am at a decision point, I need new tires for the THCR and don't know whether to keep the OEM 5.0 wheel/tire or put the 5.5 wheel/tire. I know for straight line stopping the 5.5 would be better, because the larger tire has more rubber contact area. Just worried about the turning. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
5,163 Posts

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Another choice...

Razel said:
Heard good things about them, figured I could at least try them once. Been going to try the Avons too, but I can only wear out the tires so fast. Can always go back to the Z6's, as I've been happy with them, but I guess I need to reassure myself that there aren't any better out there for me.
Hey Razel....you have another option now....the new Metzeler Sportec M3....I'm gonna try them next set.
http://sportecm3.metzelermoto.com/versione_EN

·
5,163 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts