BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Vancouver!

I have a 2012 K1300S with 45,000 kilometres on it and have changed the oil and filter every 5000 kilometres.
Lately when the bike is cold and has been sitting for a few days, I get about 10 seconds of blue smoke when I cold start it.

I would have thought this might mean worn valve guides but I vaguely remember that there are some reed valves that allow air into the exhaust that might be a problem??

Might anyone have some insight into what could be causing this?

Thanks in advance!
Dennis

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the same thing with about the same mileage. After pulling the valve cover gasket it was kinda bad but now it's ok.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
Canada, humm... cold, sure it is oil smoke or just white ish condensate start up? Smell and as you say blue is oil. Way short on miles for a worn engine. Using motorcycle rated oil I hope and 5W40 oil, quality oil filter such as Mann or OEM. Valve guide smoke happens on de acceleration which lowers cylinder pressure and sucks in air pulling oil down valve stems. Smoke on acceleration is generally caused by a ring problem with the smoke starting at the stop sign when taking off. Both rare in this bike. Relax and see how it goes in the summer when the bike is not so cold on start up. And, the air is not so cold.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is definitely blue smoke. No colour blindness here! After about 10 seconds, the smoke turns the colour of moisture condensed in exhaust.
To me, it is either worn guides/bad guide seals allowing oil to slip down the guides into combustion chamber or there is possibly some sort of valve that allows air to mix with exhaust (that is there to reduce pollutiuon) that is somehow defective. Is there some sort of valve like this?
Denni

·
Registered
217 Posts
It is definitely blue smoke. No colour blindness here! After about 10 seconds, the smoke turns the colour of moisture condensed in exhaust.
To me, it is either worn guides/bad guide seals allowing oil to slip down the guides into combustion chamber or there is possibly some sort of valve that allows air to mix with exhaust (that is there to reduce pollutiuon) that is somehow defective. Is there some sort of valve like this?
Denni
Yes, the oil breather valves inside the valve cover gasket I believe. I cleaned mine with brake parts cleaner when I had it off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you tell me about them and would they cause the blue smoke on startup?
Dennis

·
Registered
217 Posts
Can you tell me about them and would they cause the blue smoke on startup?
Dennis
They’re one-way valves in the valve cover gasket that go to some oil breathing system (one-way INTO the valve cover, probably from the crankcase), but I don’t see how it would introduce blue smoke on startup.

My guess would be valve-stem seals that leak oil into the cylinders when it sits overnight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sitting on the kickstand or on the tail stand? Sitting on the kickstand the bike tilts and the valves leak oil into the cylinder. Always store overnight on the tail stand

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sitting on the kickstand or on the tail stand? Sitting on the kickstand the bike tilts and the valves leak oil into the cylinder. Always store overnight on the tail stand
I'd bet @motodoc's response is the most likely. My old 1986 K75S would burn 5-10 seconds of blue from oil if I used the side stand for even as long as it took the engine to cool down, esp. the colder it was out. The K bikes had a reputation for it.

Definitely use the center stand for overnight or longer. I ended up removing the side stand from my K75S - it leaned way too far and there was no reason to have its weight when using the center stand exclusively.

If it's still blowing smoke when using the center stand then it might be something more serious.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
This is a K1300S with vertical cylinders, not the old K1200 or K75 horizontal situation.

Reactions: RobV

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is a K1300S with vertical cylinders, not the old K1200 or K75 horizontal situation.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up! I'm no bike expert by far - I tend to learn enough about the bikes I own to do basic wrenching and ride them but I don't often read up on other models. I should change that habit. Cheers!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Beech is again correct. Totally a different motor arrangement. I had a 1985 K100RT with the flying brick or the motor on it's side. I use to always park it on the center stand so I wouldn't be embarrassed by blue smoke at start up. Think about it, when parking the bike on the side stand you are basically parking the bike with the engine upside down. Depending on the alignment of internal parts when the engine was turned off, oil would leak by the rings into the combustion chambers. I believe they pinned or did something in the later models to fix the smoking at startup problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts