BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the preferred method for connecting accessories to the electrical system seems to be directly to the battery, has anyone attached some type of junction device to the battery, to which multiple electrical accessories can be attached? TIA

·
Registered
186 Posts
Kneedragger said:
Since the preferred method for connecting accessories to the electrical system seems to be directly to the battery, has anyone attached some type of junction device to the battery, to which multiple electrical accessories can be attached? TIA
Basically your end result is like a remote fuse box. I assume that's what you're asking. Do you know what accessories you are trying to run? Any idea what your total current draw is when 'all' your accessories are running the same time? Bottom line is your add on 'fused' circuit must support total current consumption and not to exceed your available current output.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes. I'm rather anal about wiring and didn't want a bunch of wires going to the battery.

Look at a Centech fuse panel. It provides fused protection for up to eight wires (more if you want to stack wires under a common lug). Primary fuse and four circuit fuses. Not sure of the best mount point for the S, but I've got mine under the seat next to the factory fuse box.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I use a 6 circuit fuse panel on my RS. Made by Buss, purchased at Autozone for ~$10.

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
Kneedragger said:
...has anyone attached some type of junction device to the battery, to which multiple electrical accessories can be attached? TIA
Lots of good info here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
All this with Centech fuse-panel and other ways of 'tapping' battery could be nice.. I tend to stay rather humble with this for the moment (only GPS and Autocom) as I am thinking of what has been said conserning Battery capasity and Brake-servo's power need...

Why You may ask, well.. I dont want to 'run-out of' juice simply caused by too much taken from the Battery, due 'gadgets'... IF this is as sensitiv as told, or rumors says...I want my brakes to be first in line.... when I need them I want them to be there....residual-braking power compared to 'normal' is way ...way lower. Try it and see or rather feel it...you will get a 'trill-of-a-lifetime' compared to normal servo-assisted brakes.

NB! This is not to take the fun from anyone to 'hang-in' some nice aftermarket gadgets you 'need'..only my way of priority ;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I don't really want to connect too much. I already have my Passport X50 connected to the battery, and may possibly connect a GPS in the future. My main concern, with winter approaching, is to be able to use my Gerbings jacket liner and gloves, which have a fairly heavy amperage draw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts