BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past several weeks I've been contemplating a GPS purchase. I like what I'm reading about the iWay 500C, and the new Garmin 2730, but I'm wondering about the Tom Tom Rider. Does anyone have any experience with Tom Tom products? The T/T Rider is suppose to be waterproof and "rugged," and it has a 3.5 inch screen, which is decent sized (except when you compare it to the iWay 500C). I also think the T/T Rider will mount more sturdily and be easier to position than some of the other larger units. Am I on the wrong trail here? I would greatly appreciate some experienced insight regarding the units I've mentioned. Having never owned a GPS, this is new territory for me. Essentially, since I'm not a gadget geek, I need a reliable GPS unit with an easy-to-read screen, and one that is easy to operate. Simple is good.

Thanks for your input..........OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
27 Posts
My two cents....

Go for a Unit that have 'voice-guidance', thats the main topic to rely on..in crowded situations you won't have the time to look at whatever big screen...
I have used GPS for 4-5 years and the real use is in un-known rural areas and heavy traffic will take all of your attention....on the open road, well you could look at moving-map etc etc....or the birds;) ..those in the air....

·
Registered
52 Posts
There are some diehard Garmin fans here that will think you speak blasphamy when you mention someone other than Garmin.

I was very interested in the TomTom Rider, mainly due to its BlueTooth I/F, weather and traffic.

However, the unit was supposed to be out 6 months ago. I signed up for email updates and haven't recieved a one, yet the website keeps moving the intro date. I have emailed them and asked questions and did not get any responses. So, I have become suspect of their Customer Support!

On a GPS forum, I finally found someone who appeared to know a lot about it. He claims that the weather and traffic will not be available in the US for a while (they are based in Amsterdam). He also said that all maps and uploads are via the Internet and cost each time. He said that they nickel and dime you to death. TomTom Plus is a monthly subscription...not sure how much.

I have decided to wait for the 2730 to introduce and see how it goes with the early adopters and let the price drop a bit and purchase in the February/March timeframe. Hopefully the TomTom will be out by then!

Randy

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just a heads-up on screen size. While the iWay 500 has a larger screen than the Garmin 2730, for example, the pixel count is actually lower. Implies the iWay has less resolution than the Garmin.

No experience with the T/T. The Garmin, however, is a known entity with a proven track record. Engineers love proven track records!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys, for all the input. Still don't know which direction to take with my GPS purchase (pun intended), but I will continue my reading and research on this matter.

Again, I'm not a gadget freak. In fact, I'm just now, after two years, beginning to figure out the remote control on my TV....and don't even mention cell phones. Anything beyond saying hello and goodbye is beyond my ability. All this text and email stuff from a cell phone makes no sense. I noticed the other day my cell phone said I have 71 new messages. Where? I have no idea how to find them. My office told me the other day that I will be getting one of those new huckleberry phones. What the hell is that? Just give me a quill pen and parchment paper and I'll do just fine...thank you very much.

Later Dudes.......OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am looking for something for the car / Bike / walking etc. I am happy enough to use the 100% water proofing of my yachts "Aqua-pac" (for my phone and nav kit). I want ALL of western Europe on the machine (do not really want to carry the laptop to upload new mapping each day).

Like locus, I would suggest that voice directions (normally naff) are far more important on the bike as one is preoccupied looking at town traffic etc, when looking at the screen or the map on the tank bag is only feasible when stationary at traffic lights.

Consequently I am looking at the Mio 269 plus ( a lot less expensive than the BMW Navigator mio 269 + ).

·
Registered
68 Posts
my issues have nothing to do with being a diehard garmin fan
for me (as it should be for any motorcycle rider) the issue is simple

i won't buy any unit that won't allow me to fiddle with the routes and waypoints on my PC
why would ANYONE want a unit that doesn't have PC software?
that's why we have the units
to plan at the pc
any unit can show you the roads... but garmins show you the roads you pick and the routes you pick, late at night, in front of the PC

the lowrance i-way doesn't have it
the tom tom rider doesn't have it
so.....
both units are USELESS at 1/2 their suggested retail price.
simple as that

forget garmin if you want but find one other unit from one other manufacturer who gives a darn about riders
otherwise, all you have is some IN DASH car unit.....

greg

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thanks for putting it so succinctly. Which Garmin with a BIG screen do you recommend?

·
Registered
178 Posts
ClearwaterBMW said:
i won't buy any unit that won't allow me to fiddle with the routes and waypoints on my PC
why would ANYONE want a unit that doesn't have PC software?
that's why we have the units
to plan at the pc
any unit can show you the roads... but garmins show you the roads you pick and the routes you pick, late at night, in front of the PC

greg
All good and well. But "on tour" I do not take my laptop. I can simply take the GPS unit into my hotel room, set it to planning mode rather than navigate and do everything one would normally with the Garmin / PC link. Once the fiddling is complete the unit is either charged from the mains or plugged back into the bike for the next use.

I agree the Garmin / BMW Navigator is very good, but I would not be too dismissive of the less expensive variants now being produced.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Garmin 2610

My personal choice is Garmin 2610 with a 2 GB card and all the maps loaded. :)

My recommendation is any GPS unit that is weather proof, does not have a hard drive, and can have all the US/North America maps loaded.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts