BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Enthusiast
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new member of the forum and a long time admirer of the BMW motorcycle. I am currently in Okinawa as a civilian contractor and have been planning on buying the KGT after returning to the states at the end of the year.

After reading all of your posts it seems to me there is just a plethora of problems associated with this particular bike. Everything from air-boxes and software updates to rear locking brakes, leaking rear seals, ABS sensor shorts....the list of complaints seem to be long and varied. There also seems to be just as long a list of problems from service centers and BMW themselves in getting the various encountered problems solved.

With a relatively new bike model I understand there will be problems that arise, especially with a bike with all the bells and whistles that BMW is known for. It just seems to me looking from the outside in that there is just an abnormal level of problems people are dealing with, especially with a bike at this price point.

So my question is, after all is said and done, how would you rate your satisfaction with BMW as a whole and the KGT specifically? I would appreciate all of your inputs and look forward to a little positive reinforcement for my future purchase.

Thanks!
Chris

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
bombteck said:
I would appreciate all of your inputs and look forward to a little positive reinforcement for my future purchase.

Thanks!
Chris
Hey Chris, I love mine.

All bikes have problems and the guys that have the most will talk about it on any of the bike forums. Either to relieve frustration, or trying to find a fix. Read the BMWLT forum and it will scare you to death. I bought a Ford 6.0 liter King Ranch and then went to a forum and thought I was gonna shit myself. Never had any problems with the truck.

A small percentage of a bike model will have a problem with even a smaller percentage of that having even multiples.

The guys that don't have a problem will rarely do a "Love my bike" post as often as the guy having a problem.

Life is short. If the bike turns you on, just ride it, ride it often and ride the piss out of it. I think the stupidest thing I ever read was on a Harley forum many years ago. Guy wouldn't ride his bike much because it cost him a lot of money, he wanted it to last a long time and he was afraid of something going wrong with it. I still wanna yak just thinking about it.

·
Enthusiast
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, what you said makes alot of sense. I'm looking forward to riding the hell out of it!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
bombteck said:
After reading all of your posts it seems to me there is just a plethora of problems associated with this particular bike. Everything from air-boxes and software updates to rear locking brakes, leaking rear seals, ABS sensor shorts....the list of complaints seem to be long and varied. There also seems to be just as long a list of problems from service centers and BMW themselves in getting the various encountered problems solved.

With a relatively new bike model I understand there will be problems that arise, especially with a bike with all the bells and whistles that BMW is known for. It just seems to me looking from the outside in that there is just an abnormal level of problems people are dealing with, especially with a bike at this price point.

So my question is, after all is said and done, how would you rate your satisfaction with BMW as a whole and the KGT specifically? I would appreciate all of your inputs and look forward to a little positive reinforcement for my future purchase.

Thanks!
Chris
I for one is very happy with my GT. I even love the seat. :) However, if I were you I would not rely totally on what these online forums say. First of all, often the reason people do posts on online forums is because they have an issue and would like to fix it, which make it sound like there is only problems. Secondly, I'm not sure that most GT or BMW owners are online so it is hard to know the extent of the problems you mention. The people I've met that own BMW bikes seems in general very happy. I'm on my second GT and wouldn't have traded in for a new one if I was not happy with the first GT. This is my 6th bike in 12 years and for the first time I actually bought the same make and model for the second time. I have (for now at least...) found the bike I've been looking for the last 12 years, the perfect mix of touring and sport that is perfect for my kind of driving. I've never been happier with a bike before.

Just my 2 cents.

GB

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had mine ( 08 Blue GT ) for a little over a month 1160 miles not one problem the bike runs better in the mountains than in town I work with a guy and he has a vtx and he said they always comlpian about problems with them too.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Grif is right. You always hear about the problems way out of proportion on forums like this. It's the nature of the beast. I have an 06, ordered sight unseen, and have had no serious problems. Sure, the seat is uncomfortable, the clutch groans a little when you start off, etc--but compare that to it's good points. . . and it's hard to wipe the grin off your face.

Don Goldberg

·
Registered
549 Posts
I bought my '06 used almost a year ago. I absolutely love the bike. The past few days, I've been stuck in traffic in 100F weather and have no issues with the bike at all in those temps - no over heating (gauge goes a tick above halfway), no high idle, no heat burning my shins. Yeah, the throttle may be a bit touchy, but I'm learning how to use it.

In the 17K I've put on it so far, it's only been in the shop for the 18K service and the brake pad sensor issue. That's it.

There is one big problem with this bike that we all have: it wants to RUN!!! It is so smooth and so quick, you'll be in triple digits before you know it, so be careful.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Chris,

I have been riding motorcycles for almost 30 years. My 2007 K1200GT is the best motorcycle I have ever ridden. I've had mine for nearly a year, and put 7,000 miles on it.

My bike had the brake pad warning light failure - fixed under warranty, which included new front brake pads (both sides). In addition, the dealer upgraded the software and replaced the airbox at my request. They made the changes without question, under warranty, with no hassles. Even without the upgraded software and airbox, this would have been, by far, the best bike I ever owned. With the changes, it is as close to perfect as a bike could be. The dealer experiences have been great from purchase to service. One time that I was there, they offered to shine my boots while I waited.

This is a smooth, powerful, and highly versatile motorcycle with superb handling and comfort. Sure, it's expensive, but amortized over the many years I plan to be riding it, it's a true bargain. Own one, and you will understand.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Chris,

This is my first post on this forum, but somehow your note caused me to want to respond.

I have ridden Harley's all my life until my '08 K12GT. I honestly did not know what I was missing. I never considered anything but a Harley until my son bought his bike, a R1150.

He kept raving about it, but I wouldn't ride it because I just knew it would hurt my knees since the pegs seem to hight and under you.

I just wanted to say to you that I finally took a chance on this bike because of all I have an M3 and it is so much more than I expected, I thought I would give their bike a chance.

All I can say is WOW. What a wonderful machine. I have had it about 5 weeks and have put 1800 miles on it. I ride it every chance I get and my M3 is now sitting in my garage waiting its turn.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I will ditto all the positive stuff here. :thumb: Forums are by nature, negative.

I too have put many miles on bikes over many years and while some of my old bikes hold fond memories this is by far the best machine I've ever ridden.

I would say that it is not a bike for the inexperienced rider, or even the casual weekend warrior types. Those that buy them tend to use them. Though there are plenty that get in over their heads too and wind up selling quickly. This machine is quite capable of getting your ass in trouble real quick. Take a test ride when you get home. You will either like it or not.

As for problems yes, they can happen but proper maintenance goes a long ways too. I had my air box replaced but it wasn't "un-ridable" before that. The only other thing I'd throw out negative about the bike is heat in really hot weather. Anything over 95 degrees can get pretty toasty. So far 17k miles in a year, more if it wasn't for our freakin' weather this year!

It's an 11 on a 1-10. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
To buy or not to buy...

Hey Chris,

I agree mostly with what has been said regarding your question. However, I am one of the unlucky few. I am simply disgusted to the point I am considering trading it in and picking up an RT or maybe the K1200S. I will tell you however that I really want the Bike to work and perform like one would expect as you said, "At this Price Point". I think what frustrates me most is the lack of support from the dealers and BMWNA. They have to know what is going on and it would seem that a general recall would be appropriate. It is a machine, and machines can be fixed, tweaked, tuned etc. This Machine is an outstanding piece of engineering. It handles as if it is hard wired into your brain. Think it and your there...until you hit that zone where she stumbles and depending on the moment you could be nipping pieces from your seat due to pucker factor. Would I recommend purchasing a K1200GT? Yes... on a conditional basis, that it is a brand new bike (I bought mine used with 3k miles) and has the most current Air box and software version etc.. Oh yea, take a test ride, not just a down the street but a test ride that requires hitting some corners pretty hard. You need to also sit in stop and go traffic as well. If I could just get this fixed all would be well. I am taking my bike back to the dealer one more time and if they cant fix it, them I am done. One problem with the the local dealership, is that the service manager is a bit eccentric. If one request actions that may rectify the problem and the request is not in their service bulletin (Their Bible) then there is an obvious reluctance to perform the task requested. In other words there is no thinking outside the box. If anyone else is reading this, I have a question, Is there anything one can do to get BMW off of their collective asses to address this problem? Is there a number that I can call to speak to some one that can put fire under a dealers ass to make them do something I mean anything. The only thing that I havent done as of yet is get the software version upgraded but as I read the post in this forum I understand that this may not work either. Has anybody tried some type of litigation to get the ball rolling in that direction? If so let me know so I can get on board. Something else, Why don't we hear about these problems in all the bike publications? Why hasn't BMWOA covered this problem? Other than this forum it appears that it is a dark secret. I bet if we got the word out with the various bike publications something would happen.

Walter Killion
Hydrologist
USGS - Fayetteville Field Office
700 W. Research CTR Blvd.
Fayetteville, AR 72701

ph # 4792361060

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Hey Walter, an awful lot of bitching going on but you don't mention any specifics? :confused:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bombteck
I posted the comment about binding back brake, I have ONLY owned BMW bikes, have no interest in others, rode lots of others though. All I wanted was to share an experience and ask advice. I think my second posting answers it, just a fluke. The KGT is ... er ... like nothing else. Came back from a 500km charity run yesterday, drove behind a Goldwing, I could not believe the wobble in a mountain pass. Looked like his frame had a hinge in the centre :) just dropped a gear ... and him. At least us K owners are not ashamed to share our experiences, how many postings have you seen where we are selling them?

Cape Town charity run by BMW club
http://bmwmotorcycleclubcape.co.za/elim-visit-24-may-2008

·
Registered
353 Posts
I love my GT, and yes it had it's share of problems. I think the idle control valve was the most prevalent in this group, with about 50% getting it fixed. I think BMW has really done well with fixing the bikes with issues, at least when a reasonably competent dealer is involved.

Some decisions by BMW are real head scratchers, however, and after talking to my dealer about BMW's attitude torward their US dealerships, I think I understand how some of these things happen. My dealer says BMW doesn't listen, that things are to be done BMW's way, and that's that. We were talking about the zipper pulls on BMW jackets, that break after the first 2 months of daily use. This has been common knowledge ever since BMW started selling jackets. :confused: Kinda like putting EWS on a bike, :confused: which fails often. :wtf:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Had my KGT (06) 1 year to the day - total miles covered 12,500 only had services done and one fuel tank sensor changed .
Sank two sportsbike riders today they were last seen pulled over and crying there eyes out !!!
Dave

·
Telepathetic
440 Posts
I'm the original owner of my GT. Gone through the sensitive throttle issue and still have a idle that will hang at elevated levels during warm weather. The original airbox is still installed in mine. I had a bad ignition wire and final drive gasket, both replaced under warranty.

Knowing what I know now and the issues I have had, I would without hesitation buy this exact bike again. It is the first bike I have had that after 2 years of riding it, I'm not bored with it. This bike is a keeper.

Oh, and all BMW's are happiest when the RPM's are up. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi to all, having had the GT for just over two weeks now it has really brought back to me what biking is all about. It has made me realise that its just you and the bike out together on the road as a team. Almost a living thing that will look after you if you fall short of its strengths. The GT will flatter you and remind you that you are a living being and must enjoy every second of the ride. Every mile I do re-inforces that this is one, if not the best bike I have had. Power, elegance and technology, combine in such a way that you are happy that you are out biking and not stuck away somewhere inside.
Having just come from a GS and the forums THAT inspires, its nice to come onto a forum that is respectfull for its members and genuinely trys to support its members with help and tips without prejudging them or degrading their questions. I have sensed that the posters on this site are mature, level headed and helpfull. If you need to check out how good your forum is, try looking at the UKGSer forums and some of the outright warfare that exists their.
Sure some bikes have problems, all machines do. But I believe its the way that we deal with them that is important. Looking at the reported problems on the GT they are no more than any other piece of machinery, in fact a lot less than many other motorcycles. In the Uk we have a good network of dealers that are supported generally by BMW and problems are sorted very quickly and proffessionally. There are sorry stories I am sure, but when reported on forums we can only see one side of the argument and sometimes the rant is reported with a percieved sense of injustice.
As was stated by others, the very nature of a forum attracts questions and statements about what has gone wrong rather than what has gone right. I am sure that a long list of, I went out today, rode 300 miles and nothing went wrong articles, would be a bit boring. Its nice to know that people have good rides and I love to read the ride reports from those willing to submit them. The faults reported are a way that we can all benefit from taking note of what we should be looking for, taking preventative maintainance and thus warding of any expensive repair bills, giving us strength of evidence when their is an underlying fault present when talking to dealers.
I hope to enjoy many years of trouble free riding with this GT and wish you all safe riding.

Bob :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Nice one Bob; yes I agree about many other forums; the language and abuse can be horrendous. Thankfully not here. What GT did you buy; perhaps an SE with all the options ?

John

1 - 20 of 40 Posts