BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Father in Law, age 46 is looking to replace his 1976 CB750k with something "a little more modern" so he says. I'd like to at least see him get something with EFI as I still dont think his carbs are right on his 750 :D

He rides around town a fair amount, commuting to work and such but really enjoys getting out on the open road, and taking a few long trips a year 2up with his wife. His old honda has a vetter fairing with barn door, and he's added hard bags and a back rest so he's not going to want to replace it with anything that doesnt offer these amenities.

He's ridden my K1200RS, not enough to really get used to it, just tooled around town. He says it feels way too agressive in the ergo's, and it's more power than he needs. He was impressed, but it's not what he needs. On paper, the R1100RT makes sense to me for him, he's not wanting to spend alot of cash, it's easier to work on, more upright, reasonably priced, and even reasonably light.

What do you guys think? And could somebody pass on a few places to look for these used besides cl, ebay, cycletrader and the like?

Thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Excellent choice and i was older than him when got mine, so good old guy bike. My wife liked riding it as pillion,too.

R1100rt is relatively easy to work on and reliable. Not as smooth as a 750 UJM bu has its own charm while cruising. Nice features like heated grips, electric wndshield, etc.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've only ridden an R1100 a couple times but I would say it would be a very good choice. I have thought once I get older it may easily be the bike I may buy.
My mechanic still has an 03 R1100 police model sitting in this shop all covered up. He will sell it but isn't pushing it since he still has hopes of riding it. (He's too short for it). PM me if interested.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had one for a time. It's a fine machine, and has ABS standard which is a big plus for me. I also had a later model 1150RT and hated the fully-linked brakes. The 1100RT "fixed" that problem. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it's pretty heavy, and could use a sixth gear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts