BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My regular riding partner just replaced his '04 RT with the new '14 RT and I took it for a spin through the Santa Cruz mountains yesterday. Wow, what an excellent bike, it's the first BMW I ever thought was worth the money to buy new. Steering and fueling are dead-nuts perfect from 0 to 100, don't know how they did it. Ergs and mirrors are improved, stock windscreen is excellent, electronics make since, vibrations greatly reduced, just WOW. With the new GT becoming an over-sized sport-tourer, the RT just replaced the GT as the perfect sized s-t.

Which brings me back to my '08 K12GT. I enjoy the bike immensely, but the off-idle fuel management is just dreadful. I didn't realize how much I have to ride around it until I got on his new RT that just rolls away from idle throttle so smoothly at any speed in any gear, with no jake-brake effect when you chop the throttle. I've never had the roaming idle, bucking, stalling, or other problems that have affected many GT owners, and have never done any of the airbox mods. After researching all the temperature fooling devices, they just doesn't seem worth it. Some seem to have had good luck with a PC5 in getting the fuel injection to act like a bike should. Will somebody who has actually installed a PC5 care to give an update on their long-term satisfaction???

·
Registered
357 Posts
troyt said:
Some seem to have had good luck with a PC5 in getting the fuel injection to act like a bike should. Will somebody who has actually installed a PC5 care to give an update on their long-term satisfaction???

For the 08 GT it would be the PC3 unit not the 5. The K13GT is listed for the 5. If you do a search there are a few success stories..(pretty much anybody who installed it). It's on my short list.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For the new RT - 125hp/92tq/600lbs, should be enough to handle two up, sure felt that way on my solo ride.

Not to be snarky, but the reason I asked for those who have actually added a Power Commander is that I've read some have added the 5, not the 3 as in the literature, and the 5 is much more tunable. Anyone out there wanna give their long term reviews???

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm quite interested in the new RT as well. This is the first evolution of the RT that I've cared for the looks of, (not sure if it's the bike's design or me that's changed so much that I'm warming up to the pipe and slippers crowd :) ). I'm trying to get in on the test rides when they come to the local dealership, and that might be a fatal blow.

Of course I'd have to find a new home for the GT first, but then my Brother in law expressed an interest in another hand me down (he currently has my old R1100RS). I likely won't make the move this year, probably will see about a winter order for early spring delivery of a 2015.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As an additional '14 RT footnote, my buddy wanted to order one without the GPS Nav and Stereo package but was told there would be none coming to North America that way for a long time (6-9 months) and then only if customer ordered, as the vast majority of the N. A. market wants models with all the bells and whistles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts