BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at this...and take a close look at second pictures right side..the 'flow' of new Beemers and when they are supposedly to enter market.

·
Registered
910 Posts
R12S Video!

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html

Kjell,

Went over to the BMW international Modorrad website today looking for anything related to the upcoming GT.

Didn't have that, but if you glance over to the right and check the quick series of pictures that flash by, you will see a tease type picture of the new R12S in red! Click on that (you have to be nimble with your mouse) and up pops a pop-up with a video of the R12S.

It's a fleeting thing with just a glimpse of the bike going by on a race track. Ironically, from the front I seriously that they made a mistake and it was a K-S flashing by. The resemblance is uncanny; both have the turn signals in the mirrors and the headlight looks like it was lifted right from the K-S.

Have a look-see.

Miles

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Miles_Miller said:
http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/index.html

Kjell,

Went over to the BMW international Modorrad website today looking for anything related to the upcoming GT.

Didn't have that, but if you glance over to the right and check the quick series of pictures that flash by, you will see a tease type picture of the new R12S in red! Click on that (you have to be nimble with your mouse) and up pops a pop-up with a video of the R12S.

It's a fleeting thing with just a glimpse of the bike going by on a race track. Ironically, from the front I seriously that they made a mistake and it was a K-S flashing by. The resemblance is uncanny; both have the turn signals in the mirrors and the headlight looks like it was lifted right from the K-S.

Have a look-see.

Miles
Thanks Miles....

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
Miles_Miller said:

Have a look-see.

Miles
Here is the clip in Windows media format. Approximately 690KB.

r1200s

·
Registered
910 Posts
Thanks Randy; transferring the clip to the windows media makes it real easy to check the video and pause at the right moment to check the front end of the new R bike. Doing that, it looks even more like the yellow/black K-S! Guess BMW wants to have a clear and somewhat equal identity for their new sport motorcycles.

And you know what this is going to lead to between the Pelican folks and our K-S riders!? hmm, hmm, grin-grin; an even greater competitiveness than we had with the RS/R11S debates that sometimes went on. But, this should be fun.

Have to say, based on the ST we have, that with a dollop more horsepower and some weight shaved off the new R12S, that bike should be right up there with the likes of the more sporting Ducati twins. We shall see. And it will sure be interesting to see the performance comparisons between the new R-S and the K-S.

Looks like Dr. Curve is already lined up to receive one of the first R-S's; don't know whether he plans on keeping his K-S, though.

Oh, one other thing, that fork brace in the clip of the R-S indicates a telelever front suspension. Inevitable comparisons between that set-up and the Hossack (duo-lever) front suspension on the K-R/S?

Miles

·
Registered
910 Posts
Good for you Kjell! I'm always amazed at what some of you folks can do with the internet. That first "still" picture shows exactly how close the resemblence is between the K-S and the new R-S from the front. The only give-away are the big cylinders protruding from the side on the R-S.

I think this look will appeal to the more performance oriented boxer fans than the slightly unorthodox look of the ST what with its stacked headlight arrangement. Frankly, I like this approach that BMW took with the ST; it is distinctive and a bit daring, but I don't think it would fly on a an "S" type motorcycle.

Now, if we can get BMW to show us the rest of the R-S; especially the back; wonder if they are going to go with the underseat exhaust like the R11S has and that a lot of folks thought should have been included on the K-S.

By the way, my guess is that the R-S will be the big news for the Milan show. You don't suppose they would introduce both the R-S and the GT at the same time? Can't predict their actions on all these new motorcycles arriving so close together. Pretty exciting time for new BMW bikes!

Miles

·
Registered
910 Posts
Thanks BMTrevR and Kjell,

Guess that answers that question. Bike looks small/light/low and the shock looks like an Ohlins; maybe not, figure it will come with the esa option.

I'll wager that there will be optional saddlebags and probably the same ones we have on the K-R/S.

The hexheads have proven very fuel efficient (assuming the higher hp won't eat into that) so my guess is they will stay with the small 4 gal. tank.

Yeah, it will be interesting seeing the "official" pictures in a few days.

Miles

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like a possibility for this ol KS rider to consider something new. Prepared to buy a R11S until the rumors of this surfaced. Now if there is sufficient pillion accomodations to the GF. She won't be happy with the perch shownn though. RT/STs/GT/GSs she just doesnt enjoy!

·
Registered
910 Posts
That's it in all it's undesguised glory! And while the tease photos showed a resemblance to the K-S from the front, this is clearly a completely different look and, it seems to me, a different focus.

Different focus meaning there doesn't look like much "tour" in this motorcycle compared to the K-S. I can't help but wonder how this will be received by the R11S riders who would like more than a sport bike approach to their riding.

I guess we're all set to see the "boxer-cup" return!

Love to see the numbers on this new bike; guess we will know shortly. Just wondering how much punch (hp) BMW can extract from this counter-balanced hexhead boxer engine?

Also, just rambling here, maybe more boxer fans will give greater consideration to the ST which does everything extremely well and is a great touring motorcycle.

Miles

·
Registered
407 Posts
Good thoughts. Think it will be a very sporty boxer. This will probably be OK with many S owners, but I think some will find it too sporty for their interests.

I'm hearing reports the ST is not doing well at all. Production stopped until next August. Many would say it is the appearance. If true, could be a gap in the sporting boxer lineup with the S on one end and the RT on the other, and in the rich middle, an ST model few are finding an affinity for. Good strategy from BMW, but a product (ST) falling below projections.

I'm looking to trade my R1100S for the new R1200S sometime in '06 but the images I've seen so far don't do much for me yet, including the yellow thing above. Perhaps it will look better in person.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Also looks like the duolever is nowhere to be found here...
I don't know, but that sure looks like a bottom shock attachment point.

Maybe there's a light Telelever arcing up behind the fairing?

Nothing wrong with conventional forks, of course, esp. if it saves weight.

BTW, I do NOT need another bike right now. If I did, this strikes my fancy!

·
Registered
910 Posts
<<We're more than satisfied that the pic is authenticate. Latest we hear is 440ish lbs, 130ish HP.>>

Amazing, that's 20 hp more than the RT/ST! And, about 100 lbs less than the K-S. This is going to be interesting; the power-to-weight ratio looks to be about the same on both the R12S and the K-S.

As far as the ST being a slow seller; talking about the U.S. market, here. We took delivery of the first ST in the Seattle area. It was literally stop-and-go a few months before that on whether BMW USA would even import the ST.

My dealer said when they o.k'd the bike for the U.S. market they scheduled a run of just 600 bikes, compared with 3500 R12RT's and 1600 K-S's. With only 600 the dealer and the Regional rep had to hustle to get the silver one my wife really wanted.

BMW is really up against it, if my information is correct, trying to produce all these new models in just the one production facility in Spandau, Germany. My dealer, for instance, would love to have a few more HP2's, but can't get them.

To rationalize their production and eliminate the incentives they disliked so much, BMW AG has gone to what they call "Production runs". Really allocations, I guess. This method might show a run of "X" number of each model at certain points during the year. So, it's entirely possible to have a run, say, this month that is supposed to carry a specific model thru the entire '06 production year. So, yeah, if they do that, then no additional bikes for a given model (read ST) will show up past those produced during that specific run, until the follow August when the next model year production will take place. (hmmm, re-read all that; hope it makes sense - dealer provided info.)

Have to agree, though, the ST is a slow seller; but we love the bike! And, I have to wonder how many of those new R12S's will be delivered?!

Miles

1 - 18 of 18 Posts