BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 08 K1200S around 6 weeks ago from someone who seemed genuine enough and without stripping it down outside his house to check everything seemed fine. Rode it back around 55 miles with no issues. Took it straight in for a service (non BMW) and they did the usual fluids etc and the radiator. It now runs quite hot. When I initially rode it back the gauge remained in the centre and only went up 1 dash when I stopped to open the garage. Since then it runs 1-2 dashes over the centre, the fans come in but doesn't seem to bring the temperature down. Thought it might need vacuum bleeding at a BMW dealership so took it there (Not a wise move I know) as I don't think dealerships know what the word diagnosis means. The radiator is warm all over with no cold spots and without testing anything they stated it needed a new radiator. Has anyone had any issues with the thermostat as I've been given a second hand radiator from a lower mileage bike that had a slight leak to try. The one fitted is an aluminium radiator whereas the second hand one is plastic type. Also has anyone tried the ICE cool radiator additive which is supposed to reduce the temperature.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2009 BMW K1300GT
394 Posts
If it was fine before you had the "flush" done, I would do it again with the vacuum method. Sounds like there might be air still in the system.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping BMW would do that but far easier to charge me for a new one. The garage who serviced it said they had done a cpl before and not vacuum bled it. You might be right though.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
372 Posts
There is little history of thermostats going bad. Though a new pressure cap for the overflow bottle might be needed. I think in all the confusion your first shop did not do a proper vacuum refill. I would find another shop or buy the tools to do the job yourself. You will need the service DVD to help. That is a standard line from poor quality shops to buy a new radiator when the problem is a dirty (exterior) radiator and you must do a vacuum refill properly. Stay away from that "plastic radiator". You're playing in the big leagues with K13S, don't do the short cuts. Your starting to find out how complicated they are now. Take a look further down on how to clean a radiator. Step two is find a shop that will refill the coolant properly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies it helps alot. The exhaust was also cracked underneath and dented which suggests damage at some point so I bought a K1300 system, luckily with the end can as well. Great fit. Its been suggested I take the thermostat out completely us in the UK I wont be running it at really cold temperatures. would just take longer to warm up.
I've just had a go at cleaning the radiator and the mud catcher had been missing so really tarred up. I've cleaned it the best I can and a massive improvement to it before. some fin damage as expected and some debris I cant clear out but will see if it helps.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
372 Posts
Do not take the thermostat out. If it is functional it is just fine and serves a purpose.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Check the temperature of your exhaust headers with an optical thermometer.
They should all be equal.
If one is not then you may have a coil, valve, fuel or ignition problem on one cylinder.
One cylinder is enough to make it run a little hot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts