BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe will be moved to apparel, but so what. Have a mission for my friend's wife, to find her a good rainsuit to buy him for Xmas. Have looked at "First Gear", "Dry Rider", "Teknic", and "Fieldsheer" . Who likes what?, and why?. Thanks. (In my opinion, for the $, the Fieldsheer looked the best.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have two of the BMW Rainsuit (one piece) - one for me and one for the SO. They work great, are easy to put on and keep you dry. They also do not take up too much room in the side cases.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Based on my previous history of Dri Rider, I would buy anything but this brand. I purchased an earlier model Summit, leaked in through the chest and my arms would fill with water when it rained! I would have water run out of the jacket when I released the wrist velcro straps. I waterproofed by gloves even more - that was a good move because the water would run out thru the cuff and into the gauntlets and they would eventually fill up with water. They should name them Wet Rider!.. I went back to the distributor (in Australia) and told them my problems... supposedly very unusual (I did not believe that because there was so much water getting in - even with light rain). They gave me the top of the line jacket. Exactly the same problem. Then the rep started to blame my bike because the jacket let water in! I was pissed! Since the first jacket, I wish I had spent the money and bought something else - even BMW gear - I have not heard a bad thing about them (except for their price). Aerostich could be my next buy.

Hope this scares you away from Dri Rider!

Colin
2000 K1200RS Pacific Blue

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm about to race into the Courtroom, so I'll make this quick.

In a recent test of motorcycle wet weather riding apparel the Triumph Chevron Oversuit received the highest rating. Based on these test results I purchased one. Bottom line, it is the best rain suit I have ever owned......period. Not only is it very well constructed, it has an abundance of reflective panels and striping that makes you stand out like a beacon in weather where poor visibility is an issue. Also, it is designed so that you can get in and out of the suit very quickly without having to "bunny hop" beside the roadway. Great product. You can view this item on the internet by googling "Triump Chevron Oversuit." The retail price, if I remember correctly, is about $90-$100, or so.

Good luck,

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have

Frog Dog.
Looks flimsy but don't let that fool you and stores in little space. Doesn't weight you down and does not cost a lot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Frank thomas aqua

I have ridden in rainstorms so intense I had to park because of visibility. I never got wet in any of those.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rainsuit

Take a look at the Tourmaster Elite one piece. Works good for me. Light weight, not bulky, not too expensive either, at least when I bought one $59.95. I'm 6'3" 200 lbs. Get the XXXL size to allow extra room.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Rain suit

I agree with Okeefenokeejoe, I bought the Triumph Chevron and it has kept me dry and warm and the occasions I needed it. It is easy to use and worth the 99 green backs . Here in Eugene,Or. there is a dealer that has them in stock . If you need I can get you the number or site. .

·
Registered
20 Posts
The BMW dealer out West 11th? I live in Albany and work in Portland, but have lots of family in Eugene-Springfield so I'm there often....

Duh... The name should have clued me in that the TRIUMPH dealer a couple blocks away is the guy that has them!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Rain gear/suits

Ditto OkeefenokeeJoe's post.

Purchased the Triumph one piece suit because if it rains, I want my crotch, back, legs, etc to stay dry...thus the one piece. No rain test yet, but I'm confident.

I own two Triumphs now and have owned Triumphs since 1998. You would be advised to review any of their clothing apparel items....very fairly priced, and in many cases the logo is very subtle, sometimes only a "T". I have mesh jackets, waterproof boots, gloves, from Triumph...all outstanding.

·
Registered
19 Posts
rain gear

I use the TourMaster Elite jacket, no rain pants. I would highly recommend it. My normal riding pants (Joe Rocket Ballistic 4.0) work fine for me. I hate to struggle into rain pants over wet boots anyhow, so i'd probably just suffer even they weren't any good...the TourMaster Jacket is great in all types of wet stuff and serves double duty as a wind breaker when it's chilly and damp. The yellow gray and black is great, all my friends make fun of how easy it is to see me when I have it on, I take that as a good sign!

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
I to use the Tourmaster over jacket, it works very, very Well. I have the pants as well but in cool or cold weather I wear First Gear over pants, their warm and they keep the water out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
CA1200,

Did you mean Frogg Toggs?

I have heard that these are great as an "emergency" rain suit since they are so compact and light, but, if you know you are going to hit rain that a good one like the Triumph, TourMaster and/or BMW versions are far superior at keeping you dry in an all day downpour.

No experience, just what I have read and heard from others.

Randy

·
Registered
222 Posts
The wettest I have EVER been during a rainstorm was while wearing FROGG TOGGS. Absolutely worthless junk. You are better off stripping down and riding naked. Hey....but F/Toggs are light weight and pack down nicely. The Triumph Chevron Oversuit, on the other hand, has never failed to keep me dry and comfortable.

OkeefenokeeJoe

·
Registered
163 Posts
htheater said:
CA1200,

Frogg Toggs
I have heard that these are great as an "emergency" rain suit since they are so compact and light, but, if you know you are going to hit rain that a good one like the Triumph, TourMaster and/or BMW versions are far superior at keeping you dry in an all day downpour.

No experience, just what I have read and heard from others.

Randy
I just picked up one of those Frogg Togg style rainsuits...from a different company for 25 bucks. I doubt it'll work as well as heavy duty rain gear, but like Randy mentioned it packs away super easy and weighs practically nothing. Good for emergencies and unexpected showers...especially for less than 30 bucks including shipping.
Got from Gossamer Gear

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seconding what BBHaynnes said I concur also that Frank Thomas Aqua would be the only suit I would buy now. I ride over 30,000 miles a year on business over here in the UK and have owned a Frank Thomas suit for just over a year. It's the only gear I have ever had which has been 100% waterproof and I now regret not trying it earlier. The money I have wasted on alleged waterproof gear over the years that turns out to be anything but is quite upsetting!

The gear wasn't top priced either.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Rain-Gear

Here is the set up I use, and have the same suite for 7 years!! http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb.nsf/Products/CAC772D2D6C415FD86257131006D8CFD?opendocument What I love about it is that both pants and jacket stuff into their own little bag that is built into each piece. So each piece folds/stuff into itself. Once stuffed into their own bag w/drawstring, they can both be fit into a medium to small tank bag. You can literally put both bags in a shoe box. The jacket has an adjustable belt along with a draw string at the bottom. It zips up with double folded velcro sealing the zipper. The collar is nice and high too with velcro seal.
The pants heve zip and velcro at the bottoms and open up enough for you to put them on with any footwear and overpants. The front of the pant have a new reinforcement of a ultra-suede material, probably for road hazards.
I am partial to First Gear products. I actually was a "Cobbler" (shoe/boot leather repairman 17yrs.) I always look and threads, seams stitching, zipper hardware etc. I know quality. The only piece of riding gear that is not FirstGear is my overpants, Belstaff, I was young then, not really they are great pants(6years old). TourMaster is also quality stuff.:ricky

·
Registered
264 Posts
I just got an opportunity to ride to and from work a few days in a heavy rain. I have the tourmaster elite and didn't get a drop of water in it. big pockets, easy to get on in the office.

I have a couple of things to think about in any rainsuit. What kind of boots does he wear and how big are his feet? If he wears lowcut boots then buy him longer pants to make sure it comes down over his boots. If he had big boots, look at the opening in the bottom of the leg. The medium Tourmaster will just barely go over my size 10 lightweight hiking boots that I use for riding. Beside the road, it might be difficult.

Cheers,
Jerry

1 - 20 of 28 Posts