BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tires. Fuck tires.

I swear they're making tires worse. Reading old threads of people talking about getting 8k miles from a tire. PPFFFF. I just mounted my Roadsmart 3 tires 2 months ago for my K1200S. I spent a ludicrous amount of time "researching" tires, just to end up right back here at square one. Why? Because after something like 2k miles (2000!) I need a new fucking rear tire.

Maybe my riding is ridiculous. I admit, I ride fast. I do this, because my bike is fast. Highway riding is 100-120mph, and then when the turns come, it's 2x the recommended corner speed. Even still, 2k miles is fucking ridiculous. My car goes like 10x as many miles, and I drive similarly quickly. Why should this be any different.

Then I get to "researching" tires. I put "researching" in quotes, because all the shit they put out there will sound immediately familiar to anyone who has ever bought drugs illicitly. "This is best shit bro this shit will knock you OUT, smell this shit, you can smell how strong this shit is". Every. single. tire. Utterly meaningless garbage.

And then everyone seems obsessed with grip. I DON'T GIVE TWO SHITS ABOUT GRIP. Every tire on the fucking market grips. If I get a tire that doesn't grip, I'll warm it the fuck up and make it grip. I don't need my tire to wheelie my 700 pound ass on wet pavement in antarctica. I NEED MY TIRE TO LAST MORE THAN 2000 FUCKING MILES.

And then I decide to ask someone else what tires they like, and instead of a reasonable opinion, I swear, it's like asking someone who their favorite politician is in 2016. TIRES. WHO HAS BRAND LOYALTY TO FUCKING TIRES. IT'S PIECES OF SHIT RUBBER. IT ALL COMES FROM THE SAME PLACE. Before this I had Michelin Road 5's. Those got eaten super quickly. Then I had Roadsmart 2's. The bike at those in one big gulp. Now roadsmart 3's that promised "improved" this and "better" that. NOPE. Also shit.

Please, for the love of God, I just want a tire I can reliably buy that will get me decent mileage (and by decent I mean like 5000 miles, which isn't actually decent). If the rear slips out on occasion b/c it lacks grip. IDGAF. I KNOW HOW TO CONTROL MY BIKE. I can modulate the throttle. I can apply the brakes, or just crash and die because then I never have to think about tires again.

Give me strength...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's what I'm talking about:

This type of tire performance does. not. exist. today.

I'm starting to convince myself of conspiracy here. There is very little objective testing for bike tires; the market is niche enough to not have class-action type forces.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I
Tires. Fuck tires.

I swear they're making tires worse. Reading old threads of people talking about getting 8k miles from a tire. PPFFFF. I just mounted my Roadsmart 3 tires 2 months ago for my K1200S. I spent a ludicrous amount of time "researching" tires, just to end up right back here at square one. Why? Because after something like 2k miles (2000!) I need a new fucking rear tire.

Maybe my riding is ridiculous. I admit, I ride fast. I do this, because my bike is fast. Highway riding is 100-120mph, and then when the turns come, it's 2x the recommended corner speed. Even still, 2k miles is fucking ridiculous. My car goes like 10x as many miles, and I drive similarly quickly. Why should this be any different.

Then I get to "researching" tires. I put "researching" in quotes, because all the shit they put out there will sound immediately familiar to anyone who has ever bought drugs illicitly. "This is best shit bro this shit will knock you OUT, smell this shit, you can smell how strong this shit is". Every. single. tire. Utterly meaningless garbage.

And then everyone seems obsessed with grip. I DON'T GIVE TWO SHITS ABOUT GRIP. Every tire on the fucking market grips. If I get a tire that doesn't grip, I'll warm it the fuck up and make it grip. I don't need my tire to wheelie my 700 pound ass on wet pavement in antarctica. I NEED MY TIRE TO LAST MORE THAN 2000 FUCKING MILES.

And then I decide to ask someone else what tires they like, and instead of a reasonable opinion, I swear, it's like asking someone who their favorite politician is in 2016. TIRES. WHO HAS BRAND LOYALTY TO FUCKING TIRES. IT'S PIECES OF SHIT RUBBER. IT ALL COMES FROM THE SAME PLACE. Before this I had Michelin Road 5's. Those got eaten super quickly. Then I had Roadsmart 2's. The bike at those in one big gulp. Now roadsmart 3's that promised "improved" this and "better" that. NOPE. Also shit.

Please, for the love of God, I just want a tire I can reliably buy that will get me decent mileage (and by decent I mean like 5000 miles, which isn't actually decent). If the rear slips out on occasion b/c it lacks grip. IDGAF. I KNOW HOW TO CONTROL MY BIKE. I can modulate the throttle. I can apply the brakes, or just crash and die because then I never have to think about tires again.

Give me strength... so
I feel the same way and they cost twice as much as a car tire which is another community by the way to research it’s called the “the Darkside” which is a community of riders who have gone over to using car tires for their rear wheel. A buddy of mine put one on his Goldwing and likes it so far. I just ordered a set of Michelin Commander III that boast 10k again based on how you ride.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve heard about the dark side, and I’ve seen it once. I respect it. As long as the tire doesn’t fly off, and you can manage in the corners, fuck it. It’s not how I will run, I enjoy shredding corners not crossing continents.

I’ve changed my strategy and gone the cheap route. I got two Bridgestone T30 Evo Rear’s for $194, and two Front’s for $136. Together they carry a $100 mail-in-credit-card-rebate, bringing the total for four tires down to $230.

I’m really considering going the full cheap route and getting my own mount/balance tools. How do I balance the K1200s tires?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That’s another way to go... If you are going that way I would do your own mounting as far as the balance part I can’t help you there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Fried-Chicken.
well, I've gotten 9,000 miles , from my last set of PR4s on a K1200GT. Most of that was two up tourng.
However, as it was two up touring, the emphasis for me was smooth braking and accelleration so as not to upset my wife (which makes for a much better holiday). It sounds like your speed and "attack" are in a different league.

Also, 90 % of the ride was on twisty roads, with little or no motorway. So probably much more of the tyre surface was used.

I remember on Top Gear, they were testing a Veyron, and said that at max speed, the tyres would only last around 50 minutes (at 6:40 on the video)

So, maybe your riding style has a bearing?

(Good rant thought :D )

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
100-120MPH IS NOT FAST!

Go to the Autobahn, that’s cruising speed for old ladies. I need to buy “Autobahn Spec” tires. Tire makers have a non-Autobahn-centric view of the world which is a sad and tragic thought. My car tires don’t do that.

Where can you legally ride 100-120 mph on this continent ? "IT ALL COMES FROM THE SAME PLACE" ???!!
Any street where there isn’t a police guy.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
619 Posts
Just got a note from a friend his front tire on his harley lasted 30,000 miles. Maybe finding some cruiser tires that are the correct size would be a path to mileage? Harder rubber. Tires have surely migrated to sticky low mile tires. The companies and bike manufactures don't like crashes.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got a note from a friend his front tire on his harley lasted 30,000 miles. Maybe finding some cruiser tires that are the correct size would be a path to mileage? Harder rubber. Tires have surely migrated to sticky low mile tires. The companies and bike manufactures don't like crashes.
They’re also laughing all the way to the bank. I’ve only ever encountered one tire that didn’t grip, and it was on a Hyosung GT250.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love my Michelin Road 5 tires.
I own a K 1100 LT SE and have used every iteration so far.
I have been getting over 13,000 miles with each change.
And I live in the Southwest and I ride at a minimum of 80mph, 100mph is fairly common and have hit 145 a couple times.
Try the Michelins.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't know if it helps, given the initial post, but I'm consistently getting 13,000+ kms out of a front tyre (I don't have enough stats yet for the rear). I run a matched set of Metzeler Roadtec 01 HWM (120/70 ZR - 17) on my 2004 K1200GT. The tyres are pricey, but great grip, a nice safe ride, and unlike their rider they handle pretty much everything (hot, cold, snow, fast, slow, rain, tar, gravel, dust, corrigations, single, two-up with gear) without fuss or bother. I am pretty particular about tyre pressure. Maybe that helps a little?

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Tires. Fuck tires.

Give me strength...
Well, since no one yet has mentioned it, allow me to do so. If you're running motorcycle manufacturer's recommended tire pressures then that is playing a huge factor in your premature wear, from my experience. I was in your shoe years ago when I had a 200KLT and I was shocked at how little miles I could put on before they needed replacing, and I too swore just as much when I realized I needed tires again. This was early 2000's and I've been drunk a few time since then so I forgot what tire retailer told me this but he said for me to run the tire manufacturers recommended "MAX COLD", on the side of the tire, spec. I was running BMW's recommended pressures which I believe was 32lbs and Metzler ME880 COLD MAX pressures were like 42lbs......big difference. I did that and the next set were needed at 10,000 miles instead of the 6,000 I was getting. Granted the ME880's are bias-ply so not sure if that makes a difference but since then I've stuck to that plan and get great mileage from my PR4-5's. I use to run with my ass on fire like you do and still got great mileage. I have a heavy pig K1200RS pulling a single wheel trailer and usually loaded with camping gear with a 50/50 mix of twisties and highway and I can't complain about my tire mileage. Right now I run 2lbs less than MAX COLD and that seems to be a sweet spot I settled with. Try that on your next set and see what happens, just be cautious on tire warm-up taking a little bit longer. Good Luck...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve heard about the dark side, and I’ve seen it once. I respect it. As long as the tire doesn’t fly off, and you can manage in the corners, fuck it. It’s not how I will run, I enjoy shredding corners not crossing continents.

I’ve changed my strategy and gone the cheap route. I got two Bridgestone T30 Evo Rear’s for $194, and two Front’s for $136. Together they carry a $100 mail-in-credit-card-rebate, bringing the total for four tires down to $230.

I’m really considering going the full cheap route and getting my own mount/balance tools. How do I balance the K1200s tires?
hey man, where did you find the Bridgestones?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, since no one yet has mentioned it, allow me to do so. If you're running motorcycle manufacturer's recommended tire pressures then that is playing a huge factor in your premature wear, from my experience. I was in your shoe years ago when I had a 200KLT and I was shocked at how little miles I could put on before they needed replacing, and I too swore just as much when I realized I needed tires again. This was early 2000's and I've been drunk a few time since then so I forgot what tire retailer told me this but he said for me to run the tire manufacturers recommended "MAX COLD", on the side of the tire, spec. I was running BMW's recommended pressures which I believe was 32lbs and Metzler ME880 COLD MAX pressures were like 42lbs......big difference. I did that and the next set were needed at 10,000 miles instead of the 6,000 I was getting. Granted the ME880's are bias-ply so not sure if that makes a difference but since then I've stuck to that plan and get great mileage from my PR4-5's. I use to run with my ass on fire like you do and still got great mileage. I have a heavy pig K1200RS pulling a single wheel trailer and usually loaded with camping gear with a 50/50 mix of twisties and highway and I can't complain about my tire mileage. Right now I run 2lbs less than MAX COLD and that seems to be a sweet spot I settled with. Try that on your next set and see what happens, just be cautious on tire warm-up taking a little bit longer. Good Luck...
I will definitely do that. I think for my last set I ran it at whatever the tire shop put it at. BMW recommends 36/42PSI front/rear. 42 is the Max Cold pressure for the rear. Unfortunately my bike has decided to break itself expensively in the mean time. New tire just got mounted. The bike just got detailed, and now I’m shit out of luck again.

hey man, where did you find the Bridgestones?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tires. Fuck tires.

Give me strength...
Tires. Fuck tires.

Give me strength...

·
Registered
44 Posts
My two cents. I drive a 2015 K1300s Motorsports, mostly around Phoenix. I guess you can tell how I ride from my gas mileage, which has hovered around 38mpg since I bought the bike new. My original M3's lasted about 2500 miles. My replacements have all been Pirelli Angel GT's, and I've managed 5,000 (or so) miles on the back each time. Changed a couple of times early before trips, and once on a trip I had a blowout so changed a bit early there.

Back in the day.... 30 years on a K100RS, I always got about the same - 5,000 on a year, 10,000 on a front though the handling was off after 5,000-6,000 miles. My tires end up flat-spotted in the middle.

I do run 38/42 (better handling precision than 36/42) pressures. Used to do more 120mph driving, but now it's more bursts over 100, not much sustained. No real place to sustain around town, but plenty of higher-speed desert out there to evaporate tires in the heat. I do think pavement surfaces and temperatures can lead to different wear rates around the country.

10,000 on a rear? That's someone riding like a Harley...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts