BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2006 K1200S i have the weird rattling sound that can be not only heard but felt sitting on the bike while it is warm, stationary, idle and in neutral. If i pull in the clutch handle just 1/2" it stops immediately. While cold, no noise can be heard. While driving no noise can be heard or felt, while stationary but in gear and clutch handle pulled in no noise can be heard or felt.

Speaking to the dealership, they say it is clutch basket that is worn out and will need replacing at $1200 (parts only) cost.

I seem to have read some posts about this saying it is cam chain tensioner and that there is a solution for this problem.

How serious is it?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not sure how many miles you have on your bike and how many are in town. I had the same thing around 24K miles and the clutch baskets are a known problem. My dealer said they never heard of a failure due to the looseness of the clutch basket. Everyone got tired of the noise before failure.
I believe the noise from the cam chain does not stop when the clutch is pulled in so you can tell the two apart easily.
IMO, if you are keeping the bike, get it done. .

·
Registered
7 Posts
K1200S noise

My 07 1200S has the same issue since I purchased it with 16K. I have 18.5K on it now. I have just chalked it up as the transmission. It only does it when in Neutral with the clutch engaged (level not pulled in). when I pull the lever, it stops instantly. I worried about it for the first month I had it, but have gotten used to it. I plan to put a 1300S transmission in it if it ever goes out. They are $1500 used,

My response may not help you other than knowing that someone else has the same issue, and nothing has acted like a grenade.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts