BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re:Avon Tires

Well for the first time in my adult motorcycle riding life I've gone to another brand of tire rather than Metzlers's for my K12. I put on Avon tires, the back one is a 190/50 (like I had with the Metzler's) and the front is still the stock size, these tires are so smooth I can hardly believe it! I was coming home (Going from Port St. Lucy to Stuart on I95) and it was around 7:30 in the evening, every one was driving at an amazing clip (around 90 to 100 mph at any given time) and I was pretty happy to run with the crowed, but after a while some of the "cage" drivers started to act a little twitchy up in front of me so I shot out a head of the "CF" and ducked my head down and just let if fly for a few sec. I glanced down and saw that I was well passed 140 mph and the thing that surprised me was that it didn't even feel like it was doing anything more than it was and 90 and 100 mph, so needless to say my first time out on these tires was VERY impressive, my only concern with them is that the nature of their responsive handling also seems to make them less stable in a straight line. Has anybody else had this experience? If so does this go away after the tires get "scrubbed in" or is this just the nature of this brand of tire? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've had 2 sets of Avons on my GT - love 'em. They'rea ton quieter than the Michelin Pilots that came on the bike and they lasted longer as well....

I would think any straight line instability you've experienced is mainly due to the high rate of speed you were travelling ;)

Most of my miles are highway (read: straight) and I've never noticed any instability at low or high speed straights....

Scrub 'em in and see what you get!

alow

·
Registered
528 Posts
I also have gone through two sets of Avons and will buy another set soon. I too do mainly highway miles but also get my share of twistys. I always feel planted and never fear or feel the rear sliding out.
Main reason I went to them was for the extended wear.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Say guys what model is the Avon?
I used a set 3 years ago model AZORO 35 frt 36 rear and I didn't get 2,000 miles out of them.
oh they rode good.

What is the model you use and how many miles do you get?

Bazra
aka:The Flash
2004 K1200RS

·
Registered
46 Posts
Avon ST45 / AT 46 (180) on my '03 RS. On the bike when I bought it used at 6050 miles although they couldn't have had more than 100 to 200 miles on them.

Now I am fast approaching 13,000 miles on the bike almost 7,000 on the tires. Seem to have another 1 or 2000 left in them. But I thought that 2500 miles ago.

Excellent grip when stone cold, fast warm up, even tread wear, work very well with the EVO brake system, and I could go on and on. Smooth, quiet, durable, sticky. Oops I just did.

I run 40 in the front and 42 in the rear.

I will get another set if these would just wear out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Another vote for Avons

I switched to Avon's a couple of years ago on my Bandit 1200 and have never looked back. The Metzler's that came standard on the GT didn't last all that long and I was eager to put Avon's on the beast.

I also run them with Ride-On TPS (http://www.ride-on.com/products.htm) in them. So far, I am impressed with the wear life I'm getting. Ride-On claims a 25% increase in tire life due to their product reducing the tire temperature. That might just be a lot of hype but it sure seems to be working.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re:Avon Tires

Thanks for all the reply's it sounds like I made a good choice! I'll say something more about them as I get to know them better.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
007007 said:
Well for the first time in my adult motorcycle riding life I've gone to another brand of tire rather than Metzlers's for my K12. I put on Avon tires, the back one is a 190/50 (like I had with the Metzler's) and the front is still the stock size,
You running a 190 on the back? Do tell... Spacer? Stock rim?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Free Avons at THC Roundup

Come one , come all, we will be giving sets of Avons away at Texas Hill Country Roundup
April 12 - 16 in Kerrville, Texas.
All you need to do is come to the banquet friday night and enjoy the food, friends, bikes and Texas Bullsh#t.
Take a look at www.tbmwsr.com

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have nearly 9K on my first set of Avons (45/46), and can safely get another 2K out of them. Although I am not an extremely aggressive rider, I don't baby it either. I will definitely be buying a second set.

·
Registered
346 Posts
tires

I just put a Z6 on the front of my GT . Before my spring ride I want to install a new rear . Any thoughts on an Avon on rear and Z6 on front. I have gone through 3-4 sets of Z6 but it is difficult to get both to wear out .

·
Registered
405 Posts
Billy_B57 said:
I just put a Z6 on the front of my GT . Before my spring ride I want to install a new rear . Any thoughts on an Avon on rear and Z6 on front. I have gone through 3-4 sets of Z6 but it is difficult to get both to wear out .

You probably won't have a problem.. Though it's generally recommended that tires not be mixed, and I'm personally inclined to avoid it.
But , my main reason for replying to you is that I've noticed the Z6 and Avon 45 front tires have a very similar tread pattern. Don't know if this matters or not. I like the Avon s a lot and will buy another set when the time comes. The Avon front also has a rather steep angle to it's profile that seems to lighten the steering for the K a bit, allowing it to dive into corners a little more willingly, a quality I also like.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Free Avons

gcurtis said:
You probably won't have a problem.. Though it's generally recommended that tires not be mixed, and I'm personally inclined to avoid it.
But , my main reason for replying to you is that I've noticed the Z6 and Avon 45 front tires have a very similar tread pattern. Don't know if this matters or not. I like the Avon s a lot and will buy another set when the time comes. The Avon front also has a rather steep angle to it's profile that seems to lighten the steering for the K a bit, allowing it to dive into corners a little more willingly, a quality I also like.
Good luck
I share your thoughts about Avons. We have several folks here in Texas that do as.

Trail Boss 2006, THC Roundup 06

·
Registered
447 Posts
I love my Avons and doubt I would try another tire, even though I don't seem to get the mileage out of them that other tires seem to get. BTW, I clicked on your Texas gang website link - what a bunch of tough hombres in those pictures! Especially that feller in the red bandana....

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set of Avons and just love'em. The only thing I have noticed is they are a bit more prone to break free when the road gets wet. Much more so than Pilot Roads, yet they break away predictably, and you can feel it coming.

I can't imagine running anything else on the big K.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re:190 back tire

motoman said:
You running a 190 on the back? Do tell... Spacer? Stock rim?
Yes, I have a 6" AC Schnitzer back rim and a stock width AC Schnitzer up front, my wife has the same exact rims on her R1100S but she has a 180 and there is no spacer needed, I was going to put on a 200 and I'm still pretty sure it would fit but I was given some good reasons as to why I shouldn't and as the 190 has been a very good set up for me with the Wilbur shocks I saw no reason to temped fate so I just stayed with the 190, it all works very nice and I like the look of it.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
Avon vs Powers

Hey you Avon guys!
Have any of you tried the Michelin Pilot Powers? I'm getting similar mileage/performance as you describe with your Avons....but I haven't tried Avons. Would be curious if anyone HAS had both and would share their thoughts.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
No not Powers

milkman said:
Hey you Avon guys!
Have any of you tried the Michelin Pilot Powers? I'm getting similar mileage/performance as you describe with your Avons....but I haven't tried Avons. Would be curious if anyone HAS had both and would share their thoughts.
However, the Michelin sports last me about 1800 - 2200 miles on a set.
I look forward to the Powers.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
It covers a scare

DebS said:
I love my Avons and doubt I would try another tire, even though I don't seem to get the mileage out of them that other tires seem to get. BTW, I clicked on your Texas gang website link - what a bunch of tough hombres in those pictures! Especially that feller in the red bandana....
Yea Deb, the Sheriff tried to hang him and that is what was left after we hijacked him away from the gallows in Fredonia, Tx. The scare is tough to look at.

Just remember, don't look at his neck.....he is a little touched.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts