BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys--

I was offline for several months due to a busy personal/work life, but before that I was very active on another board (whose name we shall not mention here, but suffice it to say that it was the board that was the playground of one weird dude who kicked off anyone he didn't like) and then on i-bmw.

After the k-bikes/i-bmw IRL/CART-esque split, I kind of got away from the sites for a while, but I recent came back to both this site and I-BMW. I was surprised to find out how little activity there is over at the resurrected I-BMW. I put up a couple of posts, and the responses were very sparse. Then I looked at the dates of the posts on the first page, and the bottom post is dates months ago, even as far back as last year!

I guess that I-BMW never really recovered after the split, that most people who came over here after I-BMW went down just never went back when it came back on-line?

Just curious.

·
Enthusiast
601 Posts
I think most people have realized that we have focused K-Bikes.com on the motorcycle and riding first. We strive to support the motorcycle and the motorcyclist and left all of the good ol' boy and elitist club activities to the other sites.

We have a passion for BMW motorcycles and it shows.

·
Registered
373 Posts
randy said:
I think most people have realized that we have focused K-Bikes.com on the motorcycle and riding first. We strive to support the motorcycle and the motorcyclist and left all of the good ol' boy and elitist club activities to the other sites.

We have a passion for BMW motorcycles and it shows.
While I do visit both sites every day and enjoy the people on both.

It was the above attitude and remarks that prompted me to make a decision to donate and support the OTHER site!

I don't miss Shiva and could care less if you cut me off here. It would just go and show who the elitist one's are.

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
cruizbz said:
I don't miss Shiva and could care less if you cut me off here. It would just go and show who the elitist one's are.
Let me guess...........English is your second language,eh ?? :D

Whatever did you read that led you to believe you could be "cut off"?

·
Registered
373 Posts
shook sez said:
Let me guess...........English is your second language,eh ?? :D

Whatever did you read that led you to believe you could be "cut off"?
I'm IRISH

I refuse to speak English! :wtf

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
cruizbz said:
I'm IRISH

I refuse to speak English! :wtf
I have no idea why, but Richie, that was really funny.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to spark such a type of personal debate. I was just commenting how weak "he whose name shall not be mentioned's" site was, and how good i-bmw was before the split, and how since the split this board has seemed to thrive where as that site doesn't seem to get the visits. I was wondering what motivates people to put such a commendable effort in to this site where as the other site has a relatively "anemic" level of posting, even though the crowd is largely the same.

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
kl3640 said:
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to spark such a type of personal debate. I was just commenting how weak "he whose name shall not be mentioned's" site was, and how good i-bmw was before the split, and how since the split this board has seemed to thrive where as that site doesn't seem to get the visits. I was wondering what motivates people to put such a commendable effort in to this site where as the other site has a relatively "anemic" level of posting, even though the crowd is largely the same.

Now you've got me TOTALLY confused :confused:

Here's how one person ( me ) sees it.

I rarely, if ever, visit Shiva's site. Shiva, in my view, is all about promoting himself.
Nothing wrong with that I guess, I'm just not in the market for Shiva stuff :baby

I-BMW is back up and thriving nicely. They seem to be generating a lot of posts and
talk and stuff. While the crowd over there overlaps the crowd over here, I-BMW runs
a lot looser format...ie: Jomomma and such. Their "shoutbox" thingie also seems to be
a popular feature, at least among the three or so people who use it :D

K-Bikes ?? We're here to talk bikes, accessories, bikes, pretty much everything except the knock down drag'em out in the parking lot and kick their ass stuff that one typically
finds in the various "jomomma" forums on the net. If that's your cup of tea, then you need to hie thee on over to advrider.com or I-BMW.com. We don't serve that here.
Nothing wrong with that sort of thing, we just choose to not play that particular game. :coffee

Good to have you back :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
shook sez said:
Now you've got me TOTALLY confused :confused:

Here's how one person ( me ) sees it.

I rarely, if ever, visit Shiva's site. Shiva, in my view, is all about promoting himself.
Nothing wrong with that I guess, I'm just not in the market for Shiva stuff :baby

I-BMW is back up and thriving nicely. They seem to be generating a lot of posts and
talk and stuff. While the crowd over there overlaps the crowd over here, I-BMW runs
a lot looser format...ie: Jomomma and such. Their "shoutbox" thingie also seems to be
a popular feature, at least among the three or so people who use it :D

K-Bikes ?? We're here to talk bikes, accessories, bikes, pretty much everything except the knock down drag'em out in the parking lot and kick their ass stuff that one typically
finds in the various "jomomma" forums on the net. If that's your cup of tea, then you need to hie thee on over to advrider.com or I-BMW.com. We don't serve that here.
Nothing wrong with that sort of thing, we just choose to not play that particular game. :coffee

Good to have you back :)

DITTO 100%. In fact it was kind of funny... I went to Shiva "the omnipotent" ( not) site, to read as much as I could find on the K12S/R. I accidently clicked on some stuff he wrote & he was chastising a poster...just like a kindergarten teacher.. Amazing that anyone would put up with that!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the heart welcome-back greetings! In case you're wondering who I was when I used to post a lot (right up to and immediately after the split), I'm the guy that did the detailed review of the Laser Hotcam (with the sound files), the custom logo in stainless steel to replace the laser plaque on the Hotcam and other exhausts (so that the rivet holes don't show if you drill them out), and the guy that got himself kicked off of that other "kindergarten teacher's" site for correcting too many of his mistakes for his liking.

Anyway, what I was referring to when starting this thread was that this site (K1200S board in particular, but other boards have similar numerical trends) currently has 4,366 posts in 421 threads, where as i-bmw currently has 2,856 posts in 263 threads - almost a 2:1 ratio. Now I know that i-bmw was down when this site took over as the "main" k-bike site, and that there was a delay before i-bmw came back on-line, but what I'm trying to express is that i-bmw use to be THE place for k-bike discussion, IMHO, and since the split it doesn't seem to have regained its former stature in the online k-bike enthusiast community (if posting activity is any indicator). Anecdotally, my "comeback posts" there did not receive the quantity or rapidness of responses as they did here, even though they were identical posts (GPS, satellite radio, etc...).

I guess that I was made curious by the fact that before the split occured there was a sort of consensus as to where this on-line community would congregate, and since the split and the resurrection occured, this site (which sprung up almost immediately to "fill the void") seems to be the preferred site where as i-bmw doesn't seem to have recovered as completely.

Am I incorrect in my observation?

Also, I'd just like to state for the record that I am a big fan of i-bmw and of Vic's, but that I am also an equally big fan of this site, and when I need to post a question I have to do so where I'm likely to get the quickest and largest set of responses, which seems to be this site based on statistics and anecdotal evidence.

·
Registered
373 Posts
kl3640 said:
Also, I'd just like to state for the record that I am a big fan of i-bmw and of Vic's, but that I am also an equally big fan of this site, and when I need to post a question I have to do so where I'm likely to get the quickest and largest set of responses, which seems to be this site based on statistics and anecdotal evidence.
THANKS for the tip! ;)

I will be sure to avoid any of "THOSE" people at MOA next month, when I have to ask where the bathroom is!
I would want a speedy answer to my question, also.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, sorry for all of the confusion caused by this thread, and if the Admin wants to delete it, I won't mind...

...but, perhaps the simplest way that I can state my observation/question is:

Why is there such a disproportionate amount of forum activity on this site vs. i-bmw (more on the former, less on the latter) when the audience/members are mostly the same folks that have been together since well before the split/divestiture/divorce/segregation/whatever-you-would-call-it.

If the answers is as simple as above, that k-bikes is more of a "technical" type of site (i.e. "just the facts please, only the facts") where as i-bmw has more of a social flare to it, and the former generates more traffic than the latter, then I'll accept that and chalk it up to the various features and organization of the different sites as well as to the unique personalities of the people who run them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's great to have both sites. The third site (the unspeakable one) is a dud for me but this and I-BMW are filled with great folks. There is really good info on both but you still need to watch out for the bs of "supposed" experts. If I let myself, my whole day could be filled with talking to you "hooligans" here and over at I-BMW.

Let's keep it going!

Doug

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
kl3640 said:
Am I incorrect in my observation?
I don't know where you got your numbers, but...
You stated: "where as i-bmw currently has 2,856 posts in 263 threads".
The actual numbers: Threads: 2,479, Posts: 21,642.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
I think he might be talking about just the K1200S forum.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
eljeffe said:
I think he might be talking about just the K1200S forum.

Thank you. Yes, I was just referring to the K1200S forum, since that is where we are presently - my mistake, I thought that would be obvious. The one adjustment that I did make though was for i-bmw's numbers I combined the sub-forums within K1200S to get a single number in order to faciliate the comparison with this site.

But RickD, even if we were to use your "expanded market" as the basis for comparison then the numbers for k-bikes are 33,354 posts in 4,365 threads, which (using your numbers) is a ratio of almost 1.8:1 in threads, 1.54:1 in total posts. I'm not sure if you had a particular reason for wanting to examine the overall site stats, but my initial observation remains true whether looking at a specific category or the entire sites.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts