BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re:More Tire Stuff

I know there have been a lot of posts about tires and rims and the like as of late but I haven’t quite seen anything to fit my concern and as I didn’t want to “hijack” anybody else’s post I just thought I start a fresh one.

Back when I first got my bike (An “02” KRS) one of the 1st things I did was put on after market rims (AC Schnitzer) and the as the back rim is 6” I opted for a 190 tire as this has been a VERY good combination for me with using the Metzler M1’s. But now that I’m ready for another tire change I’m thinking of going with a little higher mileage tire rather than the “sticky” compounds as the roads here in South Florida seem to “eat” my tires a lot faster than what they did back when I lived in Oregon and while I’m at it I’ve decided to go with a 200 tire size as I LOVE that fat tire look so here is the question. There is no BMW dealer ship here in Stuart but the “sell everything Japanese motorcycle store” that is here is willing to change and mount and balance my tires for me but they say they wont guarantee that it will balance out right because of some sort of shimming that BMW’s have and as I don’t know anything about this and it wasn’t even a motorcycle shop that even sold me my rims and tires in the 1st place and they didn’t seem to have a problem making everything work out right, should I be concerned about this or should I go through the trouble to take it to a BMW shop? The only two I can get at are 441 south of me or one up in Orlando. As my bike is an “02” he didn’t seem to think this would be a problem because he said all the ones he had problems with was from the 80’s and 90’s, I’m not really sure how to proceed with this other than the fact that I know I’ve not had a problem in the past but the subject never came up last time so I don’t know if I just got lucky, so any feed back or past experience would be greatly appreciated.

·
No bogey's twist wrist
619 Posts
shim or not to shim

The only shimming I know of that they are referring to is the rear wheel spacer, there has been some debate as to why it is there some say it tracks better without. But it does not affect balance on the tire. I am not sure what they are saying unless by balance they mean tracking. I would suspect you would have no need of the shim with that wide of a rim/tire combo. If the offset of the rim takes into account the needed clearance on the shaft housing should not be a problem. I would check clearances carefully, I know the tire flexes better than 1/4 inch side to side in turns, as evidenced by rubs on my Hugger which is 3/8 of an inch from the tire at rest. Post pics especially from the rear of that 200

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re:More Tire Stuff

Wow a ¼ inch! I didn't know that! My 190 has never rubbed (it's a 190/50) but and I was thinking of using the same profile with the 200 I know this is uncharted territory and no one really has much advice as to how it will work out, I've made the measurements and I know it will fit but other than that I don't know what to expect I may end up just going back with a 190 again but I'm not going to give up until I've at least explored all my possibilities.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts