BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re:Oil Filter Cover

Why is there a cover over the oil filter of our K-bikes? My wife has a 2000 R1100S that uses the same exact filter as my bike ("02" K12RS) and it doesn't have a cover. What gives? You know that BMW knew something was up when they added a gasket to the cover. When I took it off there was all kinds of oil that dripped out of there. Where is that oil coming from? Even before I put the new oil in the bike after I put the new filter up in the bike it started to drip all most immediately and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why it would do that even with out oil in the bike? Also does it get re-circulate some how or is it lost to the bike at that point and then just "stew" the filter in it's own "juice" after that? O.K. that's the end of my bombardment of questions! Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
Is this for real

007007 said:
Why is there a cover over the oil filter of our K-bikes?
That cover keeps the oil from running all over the floor, as you found out. Been that way since 1984. At least you don't have to drop the whole pan like the old Guzzi's.

Norris Cooper Andover Kansas USA
06 K1200GT
93 K1100RS

·
Registered
796 Posts
a better question is why is the dam thing so small and the edges so sharp?Another 1/2 inch or 6mm wider and anyones filter wrench would fit and a dull edge and skinned knuckles might not happen!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
007007 said:
Why is there a cover over the oil filter of our K-bikes? My wife has a 2000 R1100S that uses the same exact filter as my bike ("02" K12RS) and it doesn't have a cover. What gives? You know that BMW knew something was up when they added a gasket to the cover. When I took it off there was all kinds of oil that dripped out of there. Where is that oil coming from? Even before I put the new oil in the bike after I put the new filter up in the bike it started to drip all most immediately and for the life of me I couldn't figure out why it would do that even with out oil in the bike? Also does it get re-circulate some how or is it lost to the bike at that point and then just "stew" the filter in it's own "juice" after that? O.K. that's the end of my bombardment of questions! Thanks in advance. :)
What you say is normal......the cover is like a big drain plug.....filter is inside oil pan.....not like a car where as the filter is outsde of the pan.....please check your gasket isnt left behind up on the filter flange when removing old filter.....they will stick and not come out when you remove the filter....have to reach up inside and pull it out.....otherwise you will not get a good seal on the new filter and you could lose oil press. and blow your motor......if your not sure of what to do or how....there is alot of people in here that could talk you threw it...within min. of a post.....you know that ....I am sure

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
jimmm said:
a better question is why is the dam thing so small and the edges so sharp?Another 1/2 inch or 6mm wider and anyones filter wrench would fit and a dull edge and skinned knuckles might not happen!
...a better question is ....Why didnt they put just an acsess cover on the belly pan to get at the filter cover....I swear to god im going to put some kind of acsess cover so i dont have to keep pulling that damn pan everytime I change my oil :boom: ....mmm..Sea salt!....mmmm Rubber slug plug ..... :teeth

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
BAK04GT said:
...a better question is ....Why didnt they put just an acsess cover on the belly pan to get at the filter cover
You would need access to the oil drain plug too....5 minutes on/off for the belly pan....what's the hurry?
:2beers:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
milkman said:
You would need access to the oil drain plug too....5 minutes on/off for the belly pan....what's the hurry?
:2beers:
Just my nature...if it can be done simpler and faster..... im in....but i know where your coming from....just that i work on that kinda stuff all day :yeow: ....and i hate to bring work into my pleasure......thats riding...no time for screwing around :teeth

·
Registered
437 Posts
belly pan trick

just cut a square in the bellypan large enough to access the oil cover and a hole for oil drain. two hinges, a latch on one side, and viola, u have a drop down for oil changes. too bad german engineers are so elitist. it doesnt have to be this difficult.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
billbeemer said:
just cut a square in the bellypan large enough to access the oil cover and a hole for oil drain. two hinges, a latch on one side, and viola, u have a drop down for oil changes. too bad german engineers are so elitist. it doesnt have to be this difficult.
...I think they just got lazy.....or figure that if its not easy to get to theyll bring it in for svc..........

·
Registered
165 Posts
1. rush rush rush...this is the same kind of mentality that produced my front seal pissing oil. the damn dealer didnt take the time to do it right.
2. You don't want another hole in your belly pan....wtf do you think is going to catch the oil and keep it off the rear tire while you are riding if the seal fails catostrophically.
3. if you're in that big of hurry...you'll probably forget to refill the crankcase with fresh oil and take off down the hiway.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts