BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I just received a reply from Realm Engineering, they are open to a group buy and combined shipping for the buy!!

I will update this forum as well as the other applicable sub forums, once I receive definitive pricing and other relevant info!

Look for it in the next couple days as their contact just returned form an extended vacation and is running the numbers for the bulk purchase.

Price and quantity demand to follow.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Here is a direct link to their products: Realm RAM Shock

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hope you hear from them soon. I blew out my shock and I am looking at the Progressive 465 series for a replacement, but like the sounds of the RAM a touch better.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Even without the "group buy" option, you can still get a 10% discount by being a member of a one of the forums mentioned.
K11OG, FlyingBrick, are just a couple that I am aware of, that being a member qualifies you for the discount.
Even for their spark plug wires as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sprocket69 said:
Hope you hear from them soon. I blew out my shock and I am looking at the Progressive 465 series for a replacement, but like the sounds of the RAM a touch better.
It's about time for me to replace my shock as well. for the right price i'd consider this, but I am more familiar with Progressive and like their stuff. Why do you say this sounds a touch better? (I haven't looked at the 465 or anything else yet, just gathering info now).

Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Guys,

Horses mouth here.

I'm the guy that developed the RAM shocker range for the Kay series [ 75 / 100 / 1100 / K1 ] including competition and 1" shorter versions.

I'm also the one responsible for representing RAM products to the various forums.

As a nod to those who have helped in develoment AND the fact that I am now retired from business and can therefore be generous with my pal at Realms' money [ !! ] I have negotiated a 10% discount on RAM products accross the board for club / forum members.

The guys on the K11OG forum and the Flying Brick forum have taken kindly to RAM products - the Flying Brickers have just placed a bulk order for 80 sets of RAM Power Leads [ ignition wires ]!

There's over 200 shox sold Worldwide [ 6 months trading ] now with 100% positive feedback.

I'll be happy to pass on more info. on the Shox and Power Leads if requested.

Shox start at £195 [ Alloy bodied, anodised, adjustable pre-load and externally adjustable dampening] and include a high quality spring [ Black / Red ], C Spanner and new fittings kit.

RAM Power Lead sets were developed for the Kay series for perfect fit and function from 8mm Hi-Performance silicone wire with factory crimped connectors. Red / Yellow

We're also developing - stainless steel replacement 3 piece exhaust [ downpipes / collector / can ] for 100 and 1100, and we'll be looking at wavy brake discs soon.

Please visit www.realmengineering.com to check out our credentials in the design and manufacture business.

I'll be around

TJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
Trying to get a handle of the price.

£195 - base price
-£19.50 (10% discount)
x1.46 (GBP/USD)
----
$256.23

What about the group shipping cost?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Opie,

that depends on the weight, which depends on how many shox are ordered !!! :)

Should we take a punt at say 10 shox kits? I'll also need to know the drop ship address as there's a difference costwise from the UK depending on area. Whichever, the unit cost should drop dramatically.

If that sounds reasonable I'll jack up a price for you for carriage.

Not sure of the protocol for posting prices on this site [?] - but I'm sure the moderators will put me straight if necc.

The retail prices are as follows [ then take off your 10% ]

K75 / 100 - £195
K75 / 100 - £225 [ 1" / 25mm shorter ]
Competition version - £275 [ rod ends, upgraded valving ]
K1100 - £225 [ stock length ]
K1100 - £255 [ 30mm shorter ]
Competition version - £275 [ rod ends, upgraded valving ]

Exempt from UK tax

All shox are alloy bodied [ 45mm ] CNC machined from 6262 spec aluminum for looks and strength and silver anodised for protection. Plunger rod is robust 16mm diameter. Shox are FULLY REBUILDABLE with simple repair kits [ £14.95 ] and carry a 2 year warranty.
Black as standard - Red / Yellow add £7.50

That's about it, plug leads are comparatively light and 20 sets would be the most viable amount for lower carriage costs.

Leads are £41.75 per set - again less 10%.

When I get to grips with this site I'll try to post some pix. You'll have to excuse me - I'm the original computer dummy !! :confused:

TJ

·
Registered
26 Posts
Beachcomber -

When you say the base shock has "externally adjustable damping" is that referrring to compression, rebound or both?

What is the general rider weight range the spring is rated for and are different spring rates available?

Also, what do you mean by "rod ends" on the competition series?

thanks for your input!

Scot

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Scot,

The external adjustment is via a knurled knob which can easilly be adjusted with gloves on. 13 click adjustment for compression - rebound is automatically adjusted to suit.

All shox / springs are selected by us based on your data. Weight, riding style, road types.

Pre-Load adjustment for additional loads is via a threaded collar to alter the spring platform height.

So whether you ride solo [ as Flying Duck who required a lighter spring ], or you ride 2 up + luggage, we can supply a unit to suit.

The "Competition" version has different valving and is fitted with pressed Heim joint style rod ends. We then supply suitable top hat bushings to suit the bolt size. NEW FITTINGS ARE SUPPLIED WITH ALL KITS. This shocker is for the Track Day warriors - or just the looney's who want to hoon around the roads at warp factor 3 !!!! :clap:

I'm going to try to post some pix later today.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beachcomber-

Thanks for all the specs and pricing breakdown really appreciate the help and expertise! Looking forward to the pictures!

I originally started this thread and have been in contact with Adrian to formulate some sort of bulk/combined shipping rate. Currently shipping is running around 15% of product cost and "maybe" a bulk shipment / redistribution state side may help to drastically lower the costs.

Is there any way to work on a shipping figure? Say ten units to zip code 28801 Asheville, NC. Just to see if the redistribution is worth it.

Once again, thanks for stepping out and thanks for developing and continuing to develop great products.

:clap: :clap:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi Pompadour,

No probs - glad to help.

OK I spoke to Adrian 10 minutes ago - he is getting the best price for 10 units to East Coast. The stupid thing is, at the moment we will pay MORE for 20 units pro-rata !!!!

HOWEVER, the cost will come down quite dramatically per unit cost. Approx. £10 / unit instead of £35 singly. Anyway, let's not get ahead of ourselves - we'll get the skinny from the couriers in the next 24 hours.

As I'm new here - a brief word or three. Adrian and I have been business colleagues / friends for almost 40 years in the same industry - design and manufacture of Replica / Specialty Sportscars. I am retired, but continue to carry out consultancy work for several manufacturers. It is my friendship with Adrian that has allowed us to develop these products for our bikes - AND keep prices sensible for top quality.

TJ

·
Registered
65 Posts
With any luck there's picture about to appear here !!!

Showing the k100 shock kit with alternate coloured springs. Black is stock - Red / Yellow available at extra cost.

The prices posted before include all the kit parts you see here - C Spanner, new fittings, spring.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Beautiful Image!!!

Beachcomber-

I am assuming, correct me if I am wrong, that it would be possible to have a spring set to my 200 lb weight and that the preload adjustment would be used to make up the difference in weight when I ride two-up with the SO(115lb) and luggage(50). Or, would having two springs be the answer?

Also, the Realm website refers to a three year warranty, you state two. Not that I think it would ever be needed, but which is it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pompadour,

OK the other thing I forgot to say is that I'm getting senile, not to mention shortsighted !! :loco

You are quite right - it IS a 3 year [ gets even better ! ] warranty. 2 and 3 are far too close on the keyboard - my apologies. :dunno:

Re: spring rate. Absolutely NO problems - the shocker itself is a heavy duty unit [ derived from our Cobra Race Cars ] and can cope with any load you throw at it [ 16mm plunger rod as well ].

We chose your spring for you based on the weight and riding style info you give us. :)

As I'm sure you know - all OEM shox / springs are a compromise. They have to cope [ sometimes not very well ] with a huge range of payload defferences.

Let's say a petite young thing [ yes please ! ] riding solo - to two "normal" sized adults with all their luggage and gear. You can begin to see how the OEM stuff could be on the limits. How often have you heard fellow Brickers complaining of their rear shock bottoming out ?
Once you have told us your riding details - we will supply a spring that will suit you AND you will only ever have to increase the pre-load / dampening for real heavy duty work.
No need for 2 springs at all. In reality - one spring will suit 90% of riding styles and weights. :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
OK guys,

I got the BEST price for the package via UPS. Fully insured pack of 10 shox works out at £10 / shock - against £41 [ including tax ] FOR ONE !! That's to a single drop ship address on the East Coast [ 'ish ]. BTW - Adrian adds NOTHING to the shipping costs.

So that's a considerable saving for a group buy - your club 10% + a 60% + saving on the carriage. I'll leave someone cleverer than me to do the math on the rate of exchange - but I think that equals a good deal !

People that know of me and my morals will know this is NOT a hard sell - but if you are considering RAM Power Leads [ ignition wires ] this is a good time, as they virtually travel free ! K75 / K100 / K1100 - coming soon K1200

RAM full length with optional Red spring fitted to 1993 K1100RS

Yellow Power Leads - 8mm silicone

Red Super Power leads - 10mm silicone 4 strand.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am pleased to see that this is moving along so nicely!! :)

UPDATE:
I am currently working with Beachcomber and Adrian to finalize all of the little details.
Hopefully my next update will have a price list with the final cost associated with getting your new shock to your front door. Right now I am trying to determine the lowest cost method of shipping once stateside.

Kirkkw and ScottyMac and ANYONE else who would like to commit to purchase, would you please send me a PM. Please list your specific request and mailing address so I can keep a more accurate tally and record.

Hopefully we can reach ten very soon and with any luck we can turn this into a long term group buy. :clap: :clap:
:clap:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just to add what I know, as I spoke with Adrian about my own purchase a week ago.

I am 150 lbs and ride 85% solo, with some luggage up to 50 lbs. Occasionally my wife will join me, but not likely with luggage (we're working her up to long trips ;) )

the lighter spring was suggested for me, at no extra cost if subbed for the stock. he thought that preload adjustment would be able to accommodate the occasional rider well.

Another thing is that the US priority mail flat rate box is 10.35 for unlimited weight in the medium sized box, anywhere in the states. maybe the setup will fit that box?!?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts