BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The BMW bags for the K12S didn't impress me. Anyone find THE BEST bags for this great machine?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
RKA?? Soft Is Good

Define BEST?... Are you planning on leaving them on for daily use? or just using them for an occasional trip?

I just found out about these soft-bags from RKA 2 weeks ago and have ordered 2 different sizes (and 2 different colors) for evaluation... They are relatively inexpensive, look good, easy on and off, come with a rain cover, and hold MORE than the factory optional bags for hundreds less...

For someone like me that takes perhaps 2-3 trips a year.. these would (in theory) be all I'd need.. My 2 cents..

I'll post my findings once they arrive...

·
Registered
558 Posts
kencorsun said:
Why weren't you impressed: size? appearance? operation?

Ken
I installed some on an S and they are quite large and useful, but they do not integrate into the bodywork at all. Kind of look huge back there.
I have and use the stock bags and they work well. I also use the soft small behind the seat bag for all my clothes (waterproof). I can get a weeks worth in that small bag.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leave it to the Pirate to ask good questions. I think the stock bags look funny. I'd like something durable, waterproof, sharp looking and voluminous.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Mogan said:
Leave it to the Pirate to ask good questions. I think the stock bags look funny. I'd like something durable, waterproof, sharp looking and voluminous.
I'm not sure what the "good questions" were. I happen to think the stock bags look terrific and I have received numerous compliments. Obviously, this is subjective. They are durable, not-so-waterproof (should be) and large enough for daily use. With the interior bags your "stuff" stays dry. The Givi bags are really large and ugly. The RKA bags look good, but I don't think they will work two up and they require rain covers. If you ride solo, fine.

My wife and I have found the stock bags perfect for everyday use--enough room for the usual gloves, hats, locks, etc.., narrow enough for lane splitting--and with the addition of a Jo's U-Pac and a tank bag, enough storage capacity for weeks on the road.

Ken

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have to agree with Ken.. I think the factory optional bags look damn nice.. sleek.. attractive and I would buy them in a second if I thought the price was reasonable..say about.. $200. what are they? Like $500 or something? Insane... Just because the BMW name is on something doesn't justify criminally high pricing.. Same with the RS tankbag at $300 or something... Geezus. Perhaps my money is to hard to come by... Just my opinion

as for the RKA.. Haven't even seen them up close yet so I can't comment as to if they are good or if they suck. They list the rain liner as optional, but having used soft bags for years on various bikes.. it was my experience that rain covers keep the bags looking like new if used all the time.. also.. They do say on their website that they are passenger friendly and show someone sitting on the back.. We'll see.

Not an endorsement.. Just reporting what I'm reading...

kencorsun said:
I happen to think the stock bags look terrific and I have received numerous compliments. Obviously, this is subjective. They are durable, not-so-waterproof (should be) and large enough for daily use. With the interior bags your "stuff" stays dry. The Givi bags are really large and ugly. The RKA bags look good, but I don't think they will work two up and they require rain covers. If you ride solo, fine.

Ken

·
Registered
433 Posts
[QUOTE? ... Just because the BMW name is on something doesn't justify criminally high pricing...

Jerry,

You're absolutely right. Whenever I need to buy something from BMW I budget for twice what I think the item (or service) is worth and I'm usually still too low.

Ken

·
Registered
395 Posts
I agree they are outraghisly priced! That said I searched for weeks on the net and never found anything I liked as well so in the end I broke down and bought them. BTW I hated the Bags on the K12RS so much I wouldnt use them unless 2 up on trips and only had them because they came with the bike when I bought it slightly used.
Solo on the RS I used tank bag/seat bag and bmw Tail bag and could travel for weeks like that.

·
Registered
349 Posts
For the record a set of BMW K1200S bags with all the mounting hardware and locks goes for $800. When I got mine they were the only thing available. I have yet to see anyting I think looks better on the bike. One can pack for an extended tour as long as they don't try to take their entire closet.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Since the wife and I camp, we split the camping gear between the her bike and mine, the gear rides on the passenger seats of each bike. Which means I have to have someplace for clothes and toothbrush. Call me oldfashioned but I like a shower and clean clothes after a day in the saddle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your Old Fashioned...

LOL

peteo said:
Since the wife and I camp, we split the camping gear between the her bike and mine, the gear rides on the passenger seats of each bike. Which means I have to have someplace for clothes and toothbrush. Call me oldfashioned but I like a shower and clean clothes after a day in the saddle.

·
Registered
258 Posts
CJACK or anyone who owns the BMW travel bag that sits on rear part of seat.

I have been thinking about purchasing the BMW bag that sits on the seat that you have. Sounds like it has quite a bit of room. Can you tell me how it attaches and how secure it is when traveling down the freeway or on the twisties?

thanks in advance, Rick

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would say that the k1200s sport cases are excellent and they go very well with the sporty looks off the bike,also they are easy to put on and take off,also when not in use the bike looks just as good.

·
Registered
717 Posts
My initial thought at reading this thread is calming relief - 'cool', as an old '04 GT owner, I no longer have to sweat the photo session - I can be practical! I still refuse to drive daily with the heavy factory bags but for those long trips, my ego isn't a factor. Load me up with OEM kit and a tail bag!!! No one expects much anymore from this old technology and I can accommodate the trip to my hearts' content!

Don't get me wrong, if I were a K1200S owner, I'd be sweating these details (again!). But for now, it's nice to be wearing flannel pajamas.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Stock bags are better than I thought.

To my surprise, I'm impressed with the stock bags. For shit's and giggles, I put together a weeks worth of clothing, which included one pair of riding pants, two pair of jeans, one bathing suite, shaving kit, five t-shirts, five pair socks, five underwear, sperry topsiders and a belt. Because of the waterproof interior bag, I was able to fold and remove air, which flattened out the clothing for more utilization of space, and with the rachet system, I was able to fill the bags with a weeks worth of clothing no problem, no overstuffing.

As a test, I let the bags sit overnight..And to my surprise, the clothing came out neat and harldy wrinkled.

IMHO The bags are well thought out...

·
Registered
418 Posts
I like the S bags and thay can cary a lot of stuff securely, can't be cut open like the fabrics and if ever (hopefully not), the bike tips over, it will protect some plastic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts