BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed in my first 300 miles of riding, on what is a new-to-me 2001 K1200RS, that there is a significant amount of heat and slight odor around the rear wheel. This is my 3rd Kbike, having owned a ’93 KLT and a ’05 KLT. The pinging after riding during the cool down, sounds about the same as my previous two Ks.

I don’t remember that much heat and thought I should ask about. I bought it from a well-known dealer and haven’t checked the final drive and tranny fluid levels yet, assuming that that would have all been taken care of at the dealer before my purchase, but I am about ready to. :confused:

Any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm thinking it's prolly the muffler. There is an extaordinary amount of heat that radiates from it which is likely conducted up from the cat. After even a short a ride my muffler is always hot enough to boil water instantly. It's done that since day one. Any rain water that gets thrown up by the tires boils off instantly and leave a water mark. You'll find keeping the chromed muffler outer canister clean will be a chore.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Talking of cleaning the can, I find a slurry of WD40 (CRC) and autosol metal polish works a treat to remove the most stubborn road grime including tar. Lots of patience and a soft cloth has kept my can in showroom condition.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello I have an 02 K12RS and the FD is just worm after a nice ride but you can smell the heet from the can but all seems to be ok .

Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This sounds normal!

Thank you for sharing your experiences with the K1200RS. I won't worry too much about the heat "issue" as it appears to be normal as you've all noted.

:clap:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
That smell you smell...will change depending on what type animal guts you have ran over.... :teeth..The heat you speak of could be checked by riding it in the dark to full temp and park it and look at your cat to see if it glows...if it doesn't your probly ok....cats can get plugged and over heat and turn red hot...Just a shade tree test

1 - 7 of 7 Posts