BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to remove clutch housing and as soon as removed that big nut and started to pull the housing out - oil started pouring down. All that was holding it was this little o-ring that goes over the shaft. I guess, that is to be expected at 54K miles, but I was a bit surprised that the seal by itself was leaking like it wasn't there at all...

Anyway, clymer says to remove intermediate housing (flange) to install new rear main seal. I can't see why it is needed. Maybe it gives a better access to clean the oil mess (there is like a pocket formed by intermediate housing that can be tricky to cleanup :dunno:). I'd rather not remove more parts than I have to. Opinions?

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
You should have drained the oil out of the engine before you started to work on it.The oil level is higher than the seal.

Now drain the oil out of the engine and clean the mess up. (do not spray any cleaner in the crankshaft bearing).

You do not need to remove the housing flange (you don’t have the tools to put it back on correctly) to install a new rear main seal.
Just use a J pry bar to get the rear seal out and clean the oil out of the cavity before you install the new seal.

Search this site for info on how to install the parts and good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts