BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the suggested weight carrying capacity for the rear rack? I don't have my manual here at work, thanks.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Bob
The Rider's manual for an '04 KRS says the weight limit on the rear rack or tank bag at 11lbs. each. The side bags at 22lbs. max. load contained in each bag. Total gross weight at 1,102lbs.
Hope this helps
Bruce C

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi Bob,

If you put much of anything on the tail rack, be sure to use loctite or equivalent on all the bolts that hold the luggage supports to the bike and the rack to the supports. They will work loose - DAMHIK :banghead

Allen

·
Registered
242 Posts
that rack is not strong

Hi,
I was going through my 'new to me' 98 KRS, took all the fairings off to get to my front headlight, (worthwhile, I got a good look at the setup that way, couldn't see a damn thing trying to get my fingers down in that little space) which I found a loose wire and fixed, but as I was messing around with the bike I noticed that arc-shaped rear luggage bracket was broken in half, held in position by the screws that go into it from the plastic side brackets the bags hang off of. I was surprised to see the cross section of the metal, it's just some cast pot metal, which I glued back together with super glue, which actually worked (so far). Anyway, 11 pounds sounds about right, I am surprised the bracket isn't made out of forged steel or something. The four bolts that secure it to the fender are stronger than the bracket itself!
Next time I get down to the closest dealer 70 miles away in Denver, I'll get me a new bracket, and maybe a new taillight, which the corner was cracked off of also, so it is only held on by one screw. Otherwise, the bike appears to be in top shape, nary a leak anywhere, next task is to read the posts on changing my brake fluid out.
Cheers,
Jack

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
voxmagna said:
Checkout the Givi rear rack and top box mount. Can't remember the figures, but it takes more load than the stock rack due to steel supports which bolt back to the frame.
Done, the GIVI is rated at 22#. Mine is now mounted and supporting a 3 gallon fuel cell.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
That's 30lbs Bob, and I'd never have trusted that on the oem rack. Given the tricky problem of rear tail support anyway with the monoshock I think Givi have done a pretty good job.

When I discovered the Givi rack was better designed for a higher load, I was told by my dealer that they find oem racks with the rear screws broken or sheared pretty often.

I've got a pair of nice new side rails on my bike which look ok left on . After a couple of rides with side cases I notice the rails have started scuffing on the top hanging points. Has anybody come up with a solution to keep the ABS side rails looking smart?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your gas in the UK must have more additives! Over here it is 6.2-6.5 lbs/gallon = ~19lbs. That's why I went with the 3 gallon cell, rather than 5.
Maybe you are dealing with Imperial gallons?!

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Rule of thumb Bob, unless liquids are heavy oils, I use water, 1 Imp. gallon weighs approx 10lb. When you just bought that new water tank to put in your roof, your neighbor wants fun on a water bed, or the nutter next door fancies a 250 Imp. gallon hot tub in their bedroom, it pays to be helpful with approximations!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
voxmagna said:
Rule of thumb Bob, unless liquids are heavy oils, I use water, 1 Imp. gallon weighs approx 10lb. When you just bought that new water tank to put in your roof, your neighbor wants fun on a water bed, or the nutter next door fancies a 250 Imp. gallon hot tub in their bedroom, it pays to be helpful with approximations!
I agree, it's always better to guestimate on the high side, and I'll wager GIVI lists their weight recommendation on the low side. No one here would ever load anything over the suggested capacity, right?!
Oh, OK, so you are using Imperial Gallons. Arent they 5 liters? A US gallon =3.78 liters, there's the difference. US gallon of water =8.34 lbs. That's something I use everyday in my real world job (Utilities).

Shall we start with Stones vs Kilograms vs Pounds? ;-)
Ride well Vox, I appreciate the interest and the info.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts