BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a minor question just for curiosity: Ocelot's rear turn signals light all the time like running lights. Is that a feature they all share, or did the PO install a kit, you think?

1990 K75

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would say that this isn't stock as my bikes never had it and looking further it looks like there is a write up here on how to do it. I like the idea.

http://www.ibmwr.org/ktech/runlite.shtml

I always thought the brake light was pretty dim on the k100/75 and my gf agreed one night following me. I ordered blinking hyperlights shortly after and I think has made driving around DC beltway and 95 a ton safer. Be surprised how many distracted drivers rearend someone around here...

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,351 Posts
I use a Kisan Signal Minder flasher relay to run LED turn signals without the need for load resistors. I installed some good red LED bulbs in the rear turn signals. Even though the lenses are orange they light up red.

Then, using some small PCB (printed circuit board) relays that only cost a buck or two each I designed and built a relay that allows my rear turn signals to double as brake lights like they do on some cars. (I got the idea from the turn signals on my dad's Lincoln.)

Now when I hit the brakes my turn signals light up in red as well. A riding buddy of mine tells me that it's very effective from behind. They also work quite well at getting tailgaters off of my rear.

I've done that on two of my bikes.

On my other bike I have one of these which is also very good - better than HyperLites IMO. I have the 56011.

http://www.run-n-lites.com/prod-LiteBlazer.asp

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
like it

I like that page.

In general, motorcycle rear lights are about as wimpy as grandpa's radium watch dial. I mean the watch he got buried with. I have halogen running lights from JC Witless on Annie my big bagger R1200CLC and wee yellow marker lights on the sides. I have a running light / brake light kit from electrical connections on Biffy Bullfrog my KLR. Biffy's are the best. Both turn signals and the brake light all glow red when you brake; otherwise both turn signals always glow yellow. More light is more better.

I will take a peek and see if Ocelot's rear turn signals have the one bayonet doodad filed off as in these instructions. Her front signals are not lit at running lights. These instructions would rig both front and back.

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,351 Posts
Ocelot said:
Here's a minor question just for curiosity: Ocelot's rear turn signals light all the time like running lights. Is that a feature they all share, or did the PO install a kit, you think?

1990 K75
http://www.run-n-lites.com/prod-run-n-lites.asp

No kidding about factory bike lighting being poor. I was behind an R1200 in the rain on the freeway last night(in a car) and could BARELY see him. It kind of surprised me because he'd spent at least a few grand on adventure luggage but hadn't done anything in the lighting department.

·
Registered
35 Posts
On my '88 K100RS the P.O. installed two LED marker bars on the bottom of the brake/tail light assembly. They are only hooked to the marker light circuits. My buddies at work say they can see me from several blocks away in the dark. The problem I have been having with my Alt light glowing dim appears to be in part from the high wattage bulbs the P.O. installed on the brake light portion of the brake/tail light assembly. (No part numbers on the brake light bulbs, but they are much brighter than the stock bulbs he gave me as back-ups in case one burned out.) There again the guys at work say they have little trouble telling if the brake lights are on.

At this point I am seriously considering installing LED replacements in the stock locations and having the turn indicators converted to marker and signal lights just like my friend did to his H.D. Streetbob. I like the safety factor of having the markers illuminated. My concern with the brake bulbs being higher wattage is how small the supply circuit wire is and having a meltdown at some point. In doing these mods I would also like to convert my brake/tail light assembly so that all the bulbs act as markers while riding, and all the bulbs acting as brake lights while braking.

Any suggestions on a good source for quality LED bulbs to do this? I have some LEDs in my Triumph Spitfire from a local parts house that are cheap and intermittently hyper flash due to inadequate load resistance and build quality.

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,351 Posts
Get a Kisan Signal Minder for the flasher relay. That allows you to run LED turn signal bulbs and can also make them into running lights via PWM. (Pulse Width Modulation) You can use SMD LED 1156 bulbs like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMBER-BA15S-2x-1156-27-SMD-LED-TURN-BRAKE-SIGNAL-BULBS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem564172da71QQitemZ370465233521QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_6099wt_911

The one drawback of that approach is that it also does PWM of the indicator bulbs in your cluster so those too will glow dimly. If you don't like that then get a Kisan Signal Minder, some Run-n-Lites and 1157 bulbs:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-Amber-1157-BAY15D-24-5050-SMD-LED-Car-Lights-Bulbs-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3caf0ce1e3QQitemZ260634894819QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1885wt_911

1 - 7 of 7 Posts