BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear shock just died at 20K, and even though the bike is only 15 months old, it's considered a wear item. Anyone have experience with Ohlins, or others?

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Got Wilbers from Pirate. Love um. Came built to my weigth and riding style. I feel really planted when I fly into a corner.

·
"DELIVERS"
870 Posts
How can you tell when the rear shock is shot....also, how about the front?
I'm approaching 24000 miles....is there some test that I can do?

·
Throttle Jockey
1,718 Posts
Sumner said:
How do you know your shock is gone?
I've heard that the stock units are usually toast by about 30,000 miles, more or less. The best way to know for sure is if you start having handling problems and can't find a cause. The front or rear shock could be the culprit.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have an 04KGT and the front shock died at 5500 miles. No oil leak out of it and no noise but the front dropped an inch and if you let go of the bars at 40 mph there was the dreaded wobble. It was replaced under warrenty.
Later == Bobby

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
Slow death, or barffed fluid everywhere?

GilaMonster said:
My rear shock just died at 20K, and even though the bike is only 15 months old, it's considered a wear item. Anyone have experience with Ohlins, or others?
Check out the BMW Sport Shock. (Full post here.) You should be able to get one for $450 from your dealer. Retail $550.

Or I'll sell you one in good shape from a 2002 RS with 30k for $50.00, but I repeat, 30k. :eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
milkman said:
In my case, it started leaking, which is not particularly wonderful as the shock oil
was leaking down near the rear tire.

·
"Hey Y'all"
2,239 Posts
Testing, 1 2 3 , testing ...

GilaMonster said:
In my case, it started leaking, which is not particularly wonderful as the shock oil
was leaking down near the rear tire.
Here's "my" test. Going through a curve fast, say 3rd gear 70ish, and you hit a dip. If the bike wallows* then you don't have enough damping dialed in. (little knob or screw on bottom of shock). If it feels great, but the centerstand or pegs touch easily, jack up the preload. (Big ring on shock or knob under left side of seat.) If either or both of these settings are maxed and still doesn't feel like it's on rails, then it's new shock time.

* "Wallow" feels like the bike is rubber hinged in the middle. Steering inputs required, when the bar should be solid. You're still hot into the turn at this point, btw.

p.s. Ask your dealer to contact the BMW service rep for your area. A warn out shock is a wear item. A leaking shock is NOT.

p.s.s. Sorry Craig. Right response, wrong post. It's Monday morning ... :(

·
Registered
531 Posts
i've got 39,000 miles on my 03 KRS and both shocks still work fine.....maybe i've been lucky. i'm planning on trading my RS in for the new "S" as soon as i get home which was supposed to be the end of december but more and more it looks like it'll be the end of feburary.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Bitubo also makes shocks for the K bike. I had a pair mounted on my '98 K bike and I loved them. They were easy to dial in with the instructions I got from Max Moto. The shocks were taken off the old K and sent in for rebuild and now they are waiting for installation on my '02 K bike.

Get more info at http://www.maxmoto.com/

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have Ohlins F&R. The rear has the remote electronic damping control. Although it works, I would not recommend it. The adjustment range seems narrow, and it becomes difficult to adjust spring pre-load.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Shock dieing

All,
Assuming that the shock did not die of obvious reasons, such as leaking oil, or blown seal. And just due to age....
What happens is that the shock will feel normal but after a ride, say for a couple of hours, will feel spongy and a lack of control. And the bike feels like a pogo stick. That means the oil has broken down and is losing all the viscosity when it is heated. After sitting for a while, the oil cools off and the bike would feel fine again....You can tell a shock is going by how long it takes to get the oil to lose viscosity (upon riding).
Some shocks can be rebuilt, by charging it with fresh oil and nitrogen and put in fresh seals. Can that be done with the BMW shocks?
This would be a lower cost option then replacing it with expensive Ohlins (or equivalent).
Anyone had rebuilt their shocks?
Plastics
99 K1200RS (silver/blue)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Craig

CABNFVR is correct, a leaking shock should be replaced under warranty. The rear shock on my bike and my wife's were leaking this fall. 35,000 on mine and 33,000 on Debbie's. My dealer replaced both with the BMW sport shock under warranty this last month.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Normal wear and tear is right...

Actually, that mileage isn't bad at all out of a set of stock shocks. I pulled my stock shocks off soon after I purchased the GT. I was spoiled from the performance of after market shocks and couldn't deal with the harsh, crude damping of the stock Showa.

I purchase a set of Ohlins, but I also ran a set of Performance Works shocks on my RT, that performed as well as the Ohlins. Unfortunately, Performance wasn't stocking shocks for my K when I called so Kyle Racing got my Ohlins order. I'll send the Ohlins in for a rebuild at 28K and every 28K after that unless they crap out sooner.

Keeping the big K planted at speed in fast sweepers, and enjoying the plush ride in touring mode is worth evey penny I spent on the Ohlins and every penny I'll spend in rebuilds.

You got your money's worth out of the Showa's.

·
Registered
528 Posts
milkman said:

Tim gave the answer. If you go through a curve at speed, hit a dip in the road and it wallows or gives that pogo stick feel. I did not replace mine until 60,000 miles. That's WAY too long.
It felt like a brand new bike!

·
Registered
295 Posts
See my post for a new (about 800miles) Sport shock in the accessories in the classified. It deserves a new home.

Jim

1 - 20 of 49 Posts