BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMO, the boys at BMW screwed this one up. When removing the rear tire, you have to swing the exhaust out of the way. Bummer!

Perhaps it was unavoidable...I dunno. I was just kinda hoping that it was going to be a 5-bolt ordeal. Not that moving the exhaust is such a big deal in a garage or shop, but it makes for roadside work a bit yuckier. Not to mention the fact that you have to wait awhile until that baby cools down a bit.

·
Registered
452 Posts
hmm

So, it's different than the '04 model? I thought the same situation would apply then I read the manual and discovered I had to remove the rear caliper and set it on the drive arm. Otherwise the exhaust would have to be moved.

Pics?

Gravity

·
Registered
236 Posts
it's the same way on the S. But on my S, I've installed a Remus can so taking it loose is no longer needed. It will be the same way on the GT if you are so inclined to spend some cashola.

Doug

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Loggiebone said:
it's the same way on the S. But on my S, I've installed a Remus can so taking it loose is no longer needed. It will be the same way on the GT if you are so inclined to spend some cashola.

Doug
It's not the cash...I love the look and sound of the OEM pipe.

·
Registered
232 Posts
When I picked up my bike and read the manual that night (like a good owner ;) ), I noticed that little bit of non-trivial trivia! Was breaking loose the torx screws tough too, or was it simple relative to getting the can out of the way?
Thanks for the report and twice the thanks if you can get some pics! I suspect I'll be doing tires before the end of the year (and I do my own) at the rate I'm accumulating miles and the replacement rate (mileage) you all have been reporting.
Greg

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More wheel removal info

GregC said:
Was breaking loose the torx screws tough too, or was it simple relative to getting the can out of the way?
The exhaust screws were no big deal. But the torx rear wheel lugs will be a bit of a challenge if you're on the road and you're depending on that silly little torx wrench they gave us. I'll be carrying a small breaking bar and a torx socket bit from now on.

And for front wheel removal, you need a 22mm bit...OR do the backward spark plug socket trick. And the front fender has T30 screws . . . just another of the many tools that you need, but BMW didn't feel necessary to provide for their customers. Not that I'm bitter!... :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Have a Nomar unit and the Marc Parnes balancer and would like to put fresh rubber on for the DRG.

Joe or anybody since I don't have the manual yet other than the exhaust what else do I need to do to remove the rear tire. For instance brake caliper? Also what is the torque value when you spin the lug nuts on?

For that matter since I don't have a bull dog stand yet any idea on the front wheel removal?

·
Registered
236 Posts
answer's "over there"

MassGT said:
Have a Nomar unit and the Marc Parnes balancer and would like to put fresh rubber on for the DRG.

Joe or anybody since I don't have the manual yet other than the exhaust what else do I need to do to remove the rear tire. For instance brake caliper? Also what is the torque value when you spin the lug nuts on?

For that matter since I don't have a bull dog stand yet any idea on the front wheel removal?
Just responded to you over at the "other place"...

Doug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts