BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K-philiacs

Kay is a 1990 K75C. Model verified by VIN decoder and fairing comparison. Dunlop on-line tire fitment guide recommends a 120/90/ 18 rear. Model specs at bmbikes.co.uk says 130/90 18. Even the original owners manual which came with Kay, stamped with her service dates, specifies a 130/90 18 rear. Everything I google up says 18" rear. So naturally I went ahead and ordered up a 130/90 18 rear tire.

Tires are in. Last night I get set to remove the rear wheel to tote it to the local CycleGear shop. Much to my astonishment, Kay wears a 17" rear tire!

Let me interject here that when the Bionic Freckle (the artiste formerly known as RedHead until her knee replacement) heard blue language, she wandered out and suggested: "Well, why can't you just put on the tire you have?" Gotta love them. They actually think they are being helpful.

But back to my point: WTF? Was there some kind of lowering option which included a smaller rear? Or did BMW change the size without editing the owner's manual? Or what?

:dunno:

·
Registered
157 Posts
When did they discontinue the C model? I guess you're pretty sure its a C from the Vin verification... :)

http://www.verrill.com/moto/k75/k75.shtml

I don't know too much about the k75, but wasn't the 18 on the earlier bikes with the rear drum brakes? Do you have a disc in the back? I've heard of a couple other people having random rear rims on their k75.

I always check the tire on the rim just to be sure :( no fun!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
last seven

As I say, I ran that through the VIN decoder.

Kay has a rear disc.

·
Registered
296 Posts
You have what BMW called the K75/3. It got a rear disc and 3-spoke wheels. The rear disc was added so they could ABS on all K-models. It would have come with a 130/90-17 tire.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wheels, abs

Snowflake wheels
No ABS

She must be a bastard creation from the laboratory of Doctor Frankenstein.
:boom:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts