BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I was riding 2 up with my wife. We were cruising along at ~70 on a back road when I spotted 2 small deer begin to cross the road in front of me. I got on the brakes hard enough to have Kate get forcefully pushed into me and have my "package" slam into the tank.

The bike never groused about it. It just did what it was supposed to do and stopped in a VERY short distance in a VERY controlled manner.

We didn't hit the deer.

This is an 06 with servo brakes. Never did understand why people whined about them.

Brian

·
Registered
279 Posts
bnblazer said:
Tonight I was riding 2 up with my wife. We were cruising along at ~70 on a back road when I spotted 2 small deer begin to cross the road in front of me. I got on the brakes hard enough to have Kate get forcefully pushed into me and have my "package" slam into the tank.

The bike never groused about it. It just did what it was supposed to do and stopped in a VERY short distance in a VERY controlled manner.

We didn't hit the deer.

This is an 06 with servo brakes. Never did understand why people whined about them.

Brian
I'm right there with ya bro.
Glad to hear you spotted them first. Out here in Idaho with moose and elk, we have a saying to people who think they need to ride @ nite........... DON"T !
I wouldn't trade the servo's myself.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Brian, thanks for the post and I'm glad you didn't make contact. The timing of your comments on the servo assit brakes is rather uncanny though because while I was out for a short hop last Sunday negotiating some unsavory driving techniques from others, I was equally impressed with the brakes on my 06 KGT. It got me thinking that maybe buying the 06 was good thing afterall. And this isn't intended to get all the non-servo guys worked up either! ;)

John

·
Addict-oholic
1,416 Posts
Amen!, these brakes are the best and stoppable! I almost hit bambi and had to lay the bike down to avoid it, but I was able to get off at a reasonable 10 to 15 mph rather than a lot faster if ai was on a non ABS bike!

·
Registered
331 Posts
John06KGT said:
Brian, thanks for the post and I'm glad you didn't make contact. The timing of your comments on the servo assit brakes is rather uncanny though because while I was out for a short hop last Sunday negotiating some unsavory driving techniques from others, I was equally impressed with the brakes on my 06 KGT. It got me thinking that maybe buying the 06 was good thing afterall. And this isn't intended to get all the non-servo guys worked up either! ;)

John
Not to get stirred up but I wonder if there is really much difference between the two. The rear brakes are effectively servo anyway because a pump supplies the pressure, not the front brake lever, and the front is excellent with or without servo. I liked the servo on a test ride and I don't feel that much difference on my non servo bike. Either way, the GT brakes are fantastic and they are indeed another thing to love about the GT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts