BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
rebuilding clutch basket

I had my 2007 K1200gt clutch rebuilt by John Sykes. It was returned to me put together and ready to install. I live in Maryland and we are suppose to stay home and I did for as long as my mental health would allow. We are allowed to come out of lockdown to get groceries and carry out food. So I decided on Wednesday to find a food truck about 100 mile from my home and get lunch. It was the first time I had ridden the bike since replacing the clutch. It was light years better than the original clutch. There was no clunk going into 1st, no shutter,no jack rabbit starts, no grabbing,none of that squeaking during take off. It is nothing short of wonderful to ride. It feels like a different bike. I also have a ST1300 whose clutch has an easy pull and the K1200 still remains a harder pull but as far as operationally the reworked clutch works flawlessly. The turn around time was less than 3 weeks from leaving my door to returned to my door.
The total cost for the rebuild including shipping was less that BMW sells the clutch plates for. If you want your clutch fixed, John Sykes has found the solution.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The work that John does consists of;
1. Takes both aluminum pieces of the laminar pack and machines the flanges to flat and true.
2. Reworks the lubricating holes to distribute the clutch pack for proper oiling.
3. Replaces the springs in the clutch.
4. Installs new clutch plates which are made special for him. The metal plates are dimpled.
5. Properly aligns the piece the attaches the front a back of the clutch pack.
6. Returns the completed clutch ready to install.
He may do something else but if so I can't remember what it would be.
As far as his pricing you can contact him direct to get a quote.
Hope this helps.
If you decide to do this, you will not regret it.

If anyone is interested in having him do the work and wants to ride while he is doing the work,I have an extra K1300 clutch assembly and all the tools necessary to change clutches along with the K1300 oil pump drive for $500 plus postage. You could send it to John and keep riding until if gets back from England. If you just wanted to upgrade your K1200 clutch to a K1300 clutch, you could do that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.