BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where online can I find BMW M/C recommended 'hourly job' shop times; ie.; clutch replacement, transmission tear down and rebuild, timing chain replacement, valve check and/or adjustment,etc...?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I may be wrong but I think you'll find the answer to the timing chain in one of your owner's manuals, along with valve check/adjustment and rear axle lube. As far as the other concerns go, I don't think there are recommend changing/overhaul times. I've seen some mighty high mileage K bikes that are still running their OEM clutch and the transmission has never been touched, other than lube changes.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx..but I'm referr'n to how long (time)should a dealer(shop) take to do a particular job;ie.; replace a clutch for an example. These I refer to as 'Job Time'. I know on the car side there are referrences to which a particular 'job' by a dealer should take. Where on line can I find such referrences for the M/C side?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm not sure the flat rate for all the service and repair is readily available. Your local dealer would probably share that info if you only wanted a few items. Otherwise try bribing the service manager.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
What you are really asking for is a published list of fixed prices for service operations starting with routine service - like you get for cages. That way if the service tech is a bit slower in training on your bike or the business runs inefficiently with high overhead costs -you aren't paying for it, they are out of their profits.

Time based charging alone, just leads to inconsistency and hides dealer inexperience or costs - until somebody starts posting a dealer database as to what is being charged for and what operation. Of course you have to ask for a breakdown of work and costs to be provided at the start, which some dealers avoid. I would always ask for faulty non warranty parts to be returned as well.

Then the cat's out of the bag and consumers start comparing/squeeking/ take their business elsewhere! Neutral non-manufacturer aligned internet sites are great places to feedback dealer charges and experiences. Charges/time/ operation carried out (except possibly diagnosis) are pretty free of individual opinion, whereas individual personal experience can be biased. People rarely give good positive feedback.

Trying to establish the true cost of ownership of something you buy is also an interesting 'skeleton' manufacturers will avoid as well.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts