BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been using my Givi V46 successfully for over a year now (daily use), but have always been slightly concerned by the flex of the mount, especially if the pillion rests against it.
After hearing about failures in these mounts due to repetitive flexing, I finally decided to do something about it!
Sollution was simple, although maybe not as asthetic as some would like. I used 4x 15mm cable ties to tension the rack against the rear grab-handle, thus triangulating the forces on the rack... the result - rock solid! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have over 55,000 miles on my Givi including three crashes, one of which ground through the side of the case. My wife rode with me for about 18,000 miles (and none of the crashes!) and was often leaning back against the case. I still have the original mounts. They are more rugged than they look. I'm surprised that you see much flex. Mine is pretty solid. It will move with a lot of force but my wife never complained that it felt unstable.

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
I've got a similar sized box on a Givi 'wing rack' . I've sometimes wondered about the locking mechanism failing, It never has but I think others add a precautionary tiewrap. I fitted the rack before I added side luggage rails, it was pretty firm then and now the rails have been added ( with the 2 under rack stiffeners bolted on) it seems pretty firm. I have a pillion rest on the box and it still seems ok.

Vanguard, Do you have the 2 short cross rails bolted under your rack? When I tried to fit mine, I couldn't find holes in the Givi plate to pickup on, it would have been easy to leave them off. Before drilling the holes in final position I put some upward tension on the rack.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
vox,
I don't have the BMW rack on my bike, so I don't have the 2 stiffners. I have thought of adding something along those lines, but the ties work great ...

·
Addict
3,750 Posts
Vanguard, that explains a lot. I retrofitted my luggage rails which I got on Ebay. Early RS's like mine didn't have them as stock. I also picked up some hard cases. I was surprised how heavy they were empty, wouldn't like to carry them too far.

What you said helps others with the rails understand why they may not get your problem so bad, and those without can add a bit extra security, as long as it doesn't create a potential stress point somewhere critical on the frame.

The whole rear tail end of the RS and the front headlight area, is not supported by very much to take weight loadings. But I think the Givi rack is the best of the bunch, compared to cheaper alternatives that bolt on the rear grab rail. You get to find out when you compare the higher Givi box and rack loads with others. I read the BMW tourers had better tails for loading than the RS's, but sport and tour have compromises. Thanks

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts