BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello --

I've got the rack clamp/claw mount shown in the pictures below. Can anyone tell me how to re-key the lock? I've found an article on how to re-key the system case locks, but I can't figure out how to get the lock out of this rack mount.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Jim

I had mine re-keyed at the dealer for just a few dollars. The parts manager had it re-keyed before I got back with the coffee!

·
Registered
39 Posts
The method for re-keying the lock is the same as for the side case locks.
To remove the barrel, look for a small hole (approx 1.5mm) on the side of the barrel holder. (Can't remember which side!)
Insert a piece of solid wire, or similar, to depress the spring loaded retainer, and wiggle the barrel out, using the key. (I presume the barrel can also be pulled out without a key)

·
Registered
651 Posts
Confirmed!! See photo - red arrow indicates the spring-loaded key that needs to be pressed in to remove tumbler. Also note straightened out paper clip - it's partially inserted into hole that gives access to tumbler retaining key, and the position of the cylinder, which puts retaining key in proper position to be pressed.

Very simple. :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
missing key?

I don't see a key in any of your photos. Do you have the key? I believe you will need a key to remove the cylinder in the methods described above. I know. I lost the key to this same rack mount. It has been locked on my bike for over a year until today. Today I went to Bob's and they gave me a box of lose keys (hundreds!). I found a key that worked and then had the cylinder rekeyed to my ignition. $10 vs the $50 the locksmith wanted to pick the lock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts