BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not very electronically savy but do i need a relay kit for the Centech Unit. Can the Centech Unit be connected directly to the battery.

Can i bring the dealer the Centech Unit and will they have the proper Gauge wire to connect to the battery. Do i need to provide the Wire.

Retroboy.

·
Statmaster
2,313 Posts
If you want switched power (i.e., off the GPS power lead or off the parking lights), you should get a relay.

My mechanic at the dealer had everything he needed to do the install, even the relay.

·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Switched Power.

I assume this will allow me to use the GPS without runnning the bike. What are you running off the relay. Did you run the Gps power straight to the Centech Unit.

Retroboy

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
retroboy said:
I am not very electronically savy but do i need a relay kit for the Centech Unit. Can the Centech Unit be connected directly to the battery.

Can i bring the dealer the Centech Unit and will they have the proper Gauge wire to connect to the battery. Do i need to provide the Wire.

Retroboy.
You can get the relay kit here and you'll need a maxi fuse coming off the battery which you can get here .

You connect the Centech directly to the battery with a maxi fuse and relay it to the fuse box using Joe's (clicky, clicky) schematic.

·
Strafist
2,544 Posts
retroboy said:
I assume this will allow me to use the GPS without runnning the bike. What are you running off the relay. Did you run the Gps power straight to the Centech Unit.

Retroboy
You relay off a switched circuit, so this won't allow anything from the fuse block to run with the bike shut off. I'll be running my Motolights and socket for heated gear off of the fuse box.... for now.

I'll be running my gps, Autocomm and Valentine One off the plug in front of the battery... which is also switched.

You'll pretty much have to go direct if you want your GPS to run all the time using the Centech.

Another alternative is to use the Painless Fuse Box. It has 4 switched circuits and 3 always hot. That way you have a fused, relayed and protected fuse box that can run an always hot for you.

·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grif Which Maxi Fuse

The link had several selections. This is like GT FOR DUMMIES. I assume i need atleast a 30 but could use higher.

Thanks

Retroboy

·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
El Jeffe said you may be doing a Tech Session.

Thanks everybody for taking the time out to explain this. I need someway to keep the Centech from remaining hot.

Thanks for the offer and i may take you up on that. I am suppouse to leave on the 30th and ride to San Francisco then back through Colorado, Arkansa and back to Mississippi. I ordered this bike in May and i am still waiting. I am hoping to take possession next weekend.

Jeff said that you are going to do a tech session when you get your bike. If possible i would like to attend.

Again, Thank you for taking the time.

Retroboy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts