BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
k100rs to k100 naked

I edited and rewrote this post because I think my first request for advice might have been too broad.

Here is some background and what I am planning. I have had this bike for about 15 years/70K miles and I am ready for a change. I can only have one bike so I considered selling it and trying a Triumph but I am having a hard time letting the k bike go. It has always run great and I’ve never had any real problems with it. I also have learned to maintain it and work on it and feel confident in digging into it when something does break. So, I am now considering keeping it but customizing it somewhat and turning it into a different bike. At this point my customizing ideas are pretty modest but I’ve never done this sort of thing before so I am trying to research it and figure out if I can do it. I joined this group and wrote to this forum because in searching the internet I’ve only been able to find small bits and pieces on stripping down an rs.

Here is what I’d like to do:

First step:
Remove Fairing
Add Headlight, mirrors and turn signals
Protect radiator

Step Two:
Replace speedometer/tachometer unit with something smaller.
Move ignition key and remove the big plastic pad to expose handlebars

Step 3:
Remove seat and plastic tail section and replace with a custom seat.

Step 4:
Polish or paint aluminum (wheels, engine, gas tank, etc)

------------

Right now I am just focusing on the first step and this is what I am thinking:

To replace the headlight I would need to buy some aftermarket headlight ears and a headlight. I’m not sure if it is easier or better to buy these new or to try to find used ones off another bike. With the ears the headlight seems easy to mount. I am not sure what will happen with the electrical. Is it just a matter of cutting the wires and putting them into a new connector?

To protect the radiator there seems to be the option of installing a shroud off a k100. I assume it would fit my RS and mount onto my tank but finding a used shroud might be difficult. I’ve seen them left without any protection but I would probably try to strap on a metal grill at least to protect it from rocks and bugs.

Also, there is the plastic “tube” that leads the air through the fairing into to the air filter box. I am assuming it is not a problem to leave this off.

Any comments or tips or warnings would be very much appreciated.

The photos are the two bikes that I am using for inspiration:

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
K100 Body

Basically what you need is K100 Body work. There's the rad shroud and some filler pieces that go back from that to the tank area (depending on year/model).

That Air intake goes up into the rad shroud just like it does on your current bike so I suspect you should keep it. Who knows what strange havoc air going past just the air box opening could play on your intake situation.

·
Registered
83 Posts
love the yellow one.

as I understand it air scoops do two things in theory: ram volume of air due to forward motion, and make sure it's colder and denser than air taken from directly around the engine. both of these allow the engine to burn more fuel and more effectively = more power

as far as I can see all modern bikes use this sort of scoop. It wasn't always the case, but as the K was built with a scoop, I'm not sure you should bin it.

search BMW K100rs streetfighter youtube by nungmee - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rblq9XQG6TE - not as pretty as the yellow one, but shows a straightforward homemade grill with scoop just clamped on the side.

BTW Beachcomber on here has cafe racered/streetfightered a few of these bikes, with single-seat arrangements.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I had seen that youtube by nungmee but had not paid attention to the grill and air scoop. Since finding a stock radiator shroud seems a little difficult I'll probably try to imitate what he's done. I'm starting to like the look without the shroud anyway.

The video by brian261444, "MovieK100 rat.wmv", is what made me thing you might be able to do without the scoop.

BTW I forgot to mention my bike is an 85 K100rs.

Any tips on the headlight? Is it as simple as I am assuming.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I stand corrected...

I didn't think it'd be doable without a rad shroud but it looks fine.

The air intake is attached at the front to that's a none issue... just leave it in place.

he's found a way to mount the rad screen in front of the rad, which is good to protect it from rocks etc.

I love that dual pipe... I want to see how he fabbed that up.

TG

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks FlyingDuck, that is what I was suspecting.

As a seller of used parts what would you recommend I do with the rs fairing once I remove it? I'd say it is in "fair to fair minus" condition.

Sell it right away
Hold onto it and list it with the bike if/when I sell it someday.
Hold onto it and wait for the prices to appreciate on used worn fairings (are the full fairings getting as rare as the radiatior shrouds?)

What would you say the resale value of a used fairing is?

·
Registered
157 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks lukeman, that's helpful. And a little sobering. It looks a lot like my bike, same colors and all. Same headlight I was considering. In my mind I'd imagined it would look better. Maybe he just didn't take it far enough. Replacing the the speedometer and seat would do a lot. Plus a number of little details would improve it.

I noticed in one picture that he left the full pad that sits on top of the radiator in. It could be trimmed down considerably. Or removed/

I couldn't see where he moved the ignition key/lock

·
PsyKotic Waterfowl
1,353 Posts
kringb said:
Thanks FlyingDuck, that is what I was suspecting.

As a seller of used parts what would you recommend I do with the rs fairing once I remove it? I'd say it is in "fair to fair minus" condition.

Sell it right away
Hold onto it and list it with the bike if/when I sell it someday.
Hold onto it and wait for the prices to appreciate on used worn fairings (are the full fairings getting as rare as the radiatior shrouds?)

What would you say the resale value of a used fairing is?
Sell the mirrors and lowers on eBay. Plenty of demand for those since they get banged up when bikes go rubber side up.

Since you live in a populated area with lots of bikes, dump the rest of the fairing on Craig's List so you don't have to mess with shipping it.

I'd need to know more details of it's exact condition to know what it's worth.

·
Registered
29 Posts
On the smaller speedo front you can fit a cycle computer, you may be able to rehouse the revcounter in something else?
Id its just weight loss you are after, the metal casing that is under the clocks weighs nearly 750grms(26ozs) I removed mine and used the original bracket to remount the clocks.
Ray

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I removed the fairing over the weekend and it definitely feels like a new bike. Naked is a good word for it because it describes how it feels to ride without the fairing. Much lighter and quicker.

The speedometer change will be down the road a bit. When I do make that change I'd like to find a small "dial" speedometer rather than digital one. I know nothing about this kind of thing and will have lots of questions. but first I need to get a radiator grill on and the headlight and blinkers. Plus I have an oil leak to fix, some other neglected details and all the regular maintenance.

Two new questions:

Regarding the forks, is my bike now considered a straight k100 (now that there is no fairing) and should I use the recommended fork fluid amount for the k100 (apx 20cc less than for the rs)?

Does anybody know the purpose of the rubber pad that sits on top of the radiator. Aside from protecting the cables that get near it, is there any reason not to remove it?

thanks again for all this help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts