BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2008 GT last week and will have both fairings as well as the front fairing painted to remedy a drop each side by the PO. Side fairings are a piece of cake to remove, but wanted any pointers WRT removing the front one. Haven't looked at it yet.

Thanks in advance

Todd
08 K1200GT

·
Registered
357 Posts
You mean around the headlight?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Pull the windshield, and the metal cross brace that rests underneath it.

Remove screws on the plastic triangular cover panel that was under the windshield and take off that panel

Take off the plastic cover around the instrument panel (two long brass screws on top, watch out for two plastic tabs on bottom, press them up with a screwdriver GENTLY to free the instrument cover panel.

Remove the screws that secure the 2 larger panels to the right and left of the instrument cluster (+2 screws each side into the front fairing). Careful of the plastic tabs that secure these panels at the top of the cowling into slots.

Remove the little cooling air grill piece under the headlight (2 screws from underneath).

On the front fairing itself, remove 6 screws: two on top, two on sides, two on bottom of front fairing. Slide the fairing off carefully to the front. The huge headlight assembly stays on.

Go slow, don't break $$$$ plastic stuff :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
As I recall there are at least 4 screws under the black windshield plate that need to go but they are easily seen from the front (once the plate is gone). I think the trickiest ones are kind of hidden and attach to the back of the black dash panel. If you have to pull hard then STOP and find the ones you missed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. That just the info I was hoping for here. On the sched for tomorrow.

Todd
08 K1200GT

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey guys - do the mirrors have to come off? I vaguely recall having to rotate the stalks (spring loaded with detent) to expose screws.

Tip - there are several different screw lengths used. Take a photo or make a sketch to indicate what came from where.

Good luck,
Jeff

·
Registered
357 Posts
GTJeff said:
Hey guys - do the mirrors have to come off? I vaguely recall having to rotate the stalks (spring loaded with detent) to expose screws.

Tip - there are several different screw lengths used. Take a photo or make a sketch to indicate what came from where.

Good luck,
Jeff

Yes, they do, just like you described.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts