BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If no paddock stand is available is it ok to raise the front end by placing bike on its centre stand, removing the belly pan and using a flat board and a jack on the underside of the engine?

·
no power in the 'verse can stop me
1,126 Posts
That's been my method for ten years now.

Just be careful that you don't jack it up too high as it
gets a wee bit unstable when ya do. :teeth

·
Registered
302 Posts
Worked for me. Try not to let the rear wheel touch. I also but the axial back in and block up the front. Not required, but give piece of mind.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
jack it up

My girlfriend Helga just holds mine until I'm done with the work. She's a real sport but complains a little during a tire change, I'm working on her bad habits. :teeth

·
Registered
83 Posts
El_Barto said:
Worked for me. Try not to let the rear wheel touch. I also but the axial back in and block up the front. Not required, but give piece of mind.
Actually the bike will become more stable as the rear wheel hits the ground. Then don't go any farther as it becomes unstable again. Experiment.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Marc,

I know what you mean, but I use a floor jack and it is too easy for me to lift it off the centerstand. I usually have everything loose before I lift the front then I don't have to tweek on the front too bad when I have it up in the air.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Now that I have a lift, I just run the bike into the lift backwards, put it on the centerstand, then tie down the rear end with a couple of MC tie-down straps. Before I had a lift I just backed the bike up near a garage wall where I had a couple of tie-down hooks near the floor, then used the tie-down straps to hold the front end off the ground. The belly pan/floor jack thing seems a bit much to me..... YMMV, of course.
:)

GTRider

·
Registered
53 Posts
I know this sounds extreme but I drilled two holes in the garage floor and put in a lead lag bolt retainer and use I-Bolts. then a couple of straps just cinch her down very stable. It really comes in handy when working on something up front like replacing radiator lines or strut seals. You can remove the I-Bolts when not used just don't drill all the way threw you might loose the retainers under the floor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts