BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...This may or may not belong in the tecnical section.. Thought I'd post it heere first and then if somebody wants to move it.. I'm cool wit dat.

With a heavy heart, I come to youz guyz with another complaint/problem with my new bike. Need opinions/advice. It's not that I want to remove the heated grips accessory.. I'm sure that once or twice a year I'll want my grips to flame-on. I just must replace the concrete hard grips with a gel-type. No idea how to go about it on the new S...

Have changed 1000 grips in my lifetime.. It's usually as easy as slicing off the old rubber grips down to the inner plastic sleeve then sliding new grips on...

On this bike it doesn't look like I'm gonna be this lucky. The rubber looks to be epoxied on to the sleeve.. on BOTH sides...!? Is the heating element made INTO the rubber itself?

As I have never had these new foofoo sissy electrical jobies, (They just came on the bike) what's the easiest way to do install softer grips? Has somebody trashed these hard grips for something more comfortable? Please tell me I'm not gonna have to take the bike to a freakin' dealer just to change the grips.. and tell me that if I do just cut the rubber portion off I won't ruin this expensive accessory... There has to be an easy way to do this.. Before I take a razor knife to them I thought I'd ask my peers...

Advice/opionions appreciated!! Thanks everyone

BTW.. Don't want to hear anyone tell me I'll get used to them... Please spare me..

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Jerry,
Maybe you can buy some gel palmed gloves? I'm sorry you're not getting along with the S bro. I never looked back when I replaced the RS. Although I do miss gazing at her.

John P. has wrapped his with that tennis racket grip shit to make them thicker. Maybe that will soften them up for you and you can still retain the heat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have seen these recommended elsewhere..."Grip Puppies" from California Sport Touring ....apparently they slip on over the existing grips and the heating still works....

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Denis.. Have just ordered a pair of the Grip Puppies.. worth a try at only $7.50
If they don't work out.. or are too thick I'll try something else... Thx for that tip...

The idea for gel gloves wasn't bad either but just 3 weeks ago bought a new pair of foofoo high dollar Moto GP Kangaroo skin gloves.. Just about got them broke in..

·
Registered
221 Posts
OK Pirate , you asked.
The stock grips are vulcanized to the inner plastic cores. I removed the grips complete from the handlebars, the L/S is held on with 2 screws and requires the removal of the switch housings. Be careful, not rocket science but different from any other bike I have delt with. The heating element is in helical groove in the plastic core. picture a large thread. Carefully, opposite the place where the wires enter the grip, hold the grip at 90 deg. against a rotating wire wheel until you can see the plastic. wear a paper mask, unless you have a need for rubber in your system; - ). Continue taking the rubber off while being careful to have the wheel rotate with the wires not accross. continue until the plastic is clean. If you are lucky as I was, just install the grip of your choice. I replaced mine as I have really big hands and felt as I was holding the bare bars. I have never had heated grips on any of my bikes as I always thought that they heated the part of my hands that never got cold, I have found no reason to change my mind. But for what they cost me I wasn't about to ruin them if I could help it.
I hope this helps you.
H

·
Registered
896 Posts
I tried the grip puppies. I have a normal size hand.. a 9 in a Held glove. Anyway I thought the grip puppies were too thick. I've just gotten used to the stock ones.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx HGP3.. I'm afeared that's exactly what I neded to know.. Thx for the detailed explanation. Amazingly.. as dense as I am.. I understand perfectly. Will try the Grip Puppies first, but I imagine what Eric says will be true.. Will probably be to thick.. Harley-ish for my small hands but worth a shot...

Like you, been riding since the dawn of time.. Not once do I EVER remember my palms getting cold... Will figure this out with your advice. ..

This bike tasks me, but she will bend to my will.

HGP3 said:
OK Pirate , you asked.
The stock grips are vulcanized to the inner plastic cores. I removed the grips complete from the handlebars, the L/S is held on with 2 screws and requires the removal of the switch housings. Be careful, not rocket science but different from any other bike I have delt with. The heating element is in helical groove in the plastic core. picture a large thread. Carefully, opposite the place where the wires enter the grip, hold the grip at 90 deg. against a rotating wire wheel until you can see the plastic. wear a paper mask, unless you have a need for rubber in your system; - ). Continue taking the rubber off while being careful to have the wheel rotate with the wires not accross. continue until the plastic is clean. If you are lucky as I was, just install the grip of your choice. I replaced mine as I have really big hands and felt as I was holding the bare bars. I have never had heated grips on any of my bikes as I always thought that they heated the part of my hands that never got cold, I have found no reason to change my mind. But for what they cost me I wasn't about to ruin them if I could help it.
I hope this helps you.
H

·
Registered
336 Posts
Pirate,

This is also my first bike with heated grips. I find them useful for two reasons. First on longer rides if your hands start to get numb or the vibration gets to you I turn them on and put the heat to em. It sortof relieves minor pain.

Second, even with years of experience I sometimes find I'm hanging on the grips too tight as I cut some serious twisties. If you fire up the grips to high with summer gloves on you will release your grip to the minimum required. Its to the point of painful.

They also work if the temp makes drastic changes and your not geared up for it. Not really a common event if you have the saddlebags, which I dont yet.

·
Maestro de Turismo
406 Posts
Heated grips help keep blood circulating

One of the purposes of heating the palm is not because it gets cold, bur rather to improve blood circulation, which in turn helps keep the hands (as well as other parts of the body) warmer by allowing more (warm) blood to circulate more easily throughout.

·
Registered
178 Posts
opinion

Hi All,

Not a solution to the question, but just an observation...

I do not consider myself old, but my children do. However if I have one failing it must be that I feel the cold!!!

I use the bike 24/7/365 and the only thing that makes that possible is heated grips. I reckon that if I can keep the hands warm, the feet warm and my kidney area warm the rest will look after itself.

I too felt the KS grips were a tad "slim" however having ridden in some crap conditions I can only report that the heat from the grips has been superb and much as though I believe I would have personally designed "fatter" grips, I have found the grips to be superb when put to the test.

In the worst of conditions I use use the BMW Summer Rain Gortex gloves... water proof, but thin to allow the heat through from the grips to the fingers.

I add "Damart" thermal sockets to my socks (I wear boots that are slightly too big so I have cooling in the summer and can wear extra layer in the winter) and tuck my thermal fleece into my trousers (OK my son says I am not cool... but that's the point). I am a happy biker... who knows he will be taking the KS out in a few hours time to ride in the cold, wet and wind... and will be ok other than despondent at the couple of hours cleaning the bike which will lie a head!

So whilst we are despondent and gripe about the heated grips I have to concur with earlier posts on differing threads... these are the most effective heated grips I have ever experienced on any of my BMW's.

·
Registered
896 Posts
These are the best hot grips I've ever had. Maybe they are so effective cause of their size. But I'd like to find some grip covers like the grip puppies but about half as thick.. See what you think Jerry...I'll bet like me, you like the cushion,but find them just that much too thick.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I removed rubber grip from the heated barrel on my 98 K1200RS to replace them with softer grips similar to what you are asking. In the case of the 98, the heating wire was wrapped around the barrel and grip sat on of it. I took a chance and carefully sliced the rubber grip part way through and then peeled it back to expose the barrel and wire. Once that was complete it was an easier case of putting on new gel grips. You might be able to carefully stretch the grip enough to see the wires on the barrel to see if on the new K12 it is embedded or on top of the barrel.

You can imagine what happens when you make a mistake. The heated grip will be shot and need to be replaced. A replacement is $150-200.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Erik said:
Anyway I thought the grip puppies were too thick.
Encouraging. I might as well spring for a pair. I'm used to a thicker grip and the Beemer's grip feels a little too small in diameter at either end.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Jerry,
I've been using the Grip Puppies for about 9 months on mine, and I find them very comfortable, even though I have small hands. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I ride a Harley as well. The stock BMW grips are like holding hard broom handles. I wasn't game to cut off the grips, so I just slip a pair of Puppies on - walla - cheap and quick solution.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Milkman had a solution....

Wrap a tennis grip (can get gel or just padded type) around the grip, will make it slightly larger in diameter, but I think it is less than the grip puppies (though I have not seen the thickness of these things). The hardest part of the tennis wrap is evenly spacing the wrap, as it starts off at an angle like a spiral on a barber poll.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Erik said:
These are the best hot grips I've ever had. Maybe they are so effective cause of their size. But I'd like to find some grip covers like the grip puppies but about half as thick.. See what you think Jerry...I'll bet like me, you like the cushion,but find them just that much too thick.
Some have put a jillion o-rings on the grips from McMaster Carr or similar places.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Grip puppies

Pirate said:
Thanks Denis.. Have just ordered a pair of the Grip Puppies.. worth a try at only $7.50
If they don't work out.. or are too thick I'll try something else... Thx for that tip...

The idea for gel gloves wasn't bad either but just 3 weeks ago bought a new pair of foofoo high dollar Moto GP Kangaroo skin gloves.. Just about got them broke in..
Hey big guy...you are on the right track with the grip puppies. I hated the skinny grips and never adjusted. Put on tennis racket tape...helped. Put on puppies about 4K ago...love 'em and they shed water and don't diminish the heating output. You'll just need to trim the length a bit.

You don't need to mess with anything else...unless you can find grips in white :)

Doug

·
Registered
138 Posts
rlmr said:
So whilst we are despondent and gripe about the heated grips I have to concur with earlier posts on differing threads... these are the most effective heated grips I have ever experienced on any of my BMW's.
The S is my first BMW and the first bike I've ever had with heated grips. I agree with Rennie. They are fantastic. I can ride with summer gloves all year round. Even if my gloves get a bit wet, which happened yesterday as we had several heavy rainshowers, the grips dry them out even on the first setting.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Instead of a specifically designed add on like the "puppies" has anyone just glued / siliconed a soft pair of grips directly over the existing ones - greater selection range, positive fit and adhesion, increased throttle radius also gives reduced manual effort.

If the surfaces are roughened a little and cleaned up thoroughly with something like dry cleaning fluid or isopropyl alcohol, good quality silicone gasket sealant is an effective gap filler / adhesive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts