BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
BMW K1300s
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a K1300s. Love the bike. However the standard ESA suspension isn't up to par. I want to replace it with Nitron or Mupo conventional shocks. I was told by a mechanic that doing this will also disable my traction control and anti lock braking. I can't find anything anywhere to confirm that. Is it correct?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi mate, I don't know about that, and very much doubt it. Have you got the bmw CD rom? Wealth of info on there. I'm rebuilding the WP ESA shocks at the moment and studied the manual, says nothing about interacting with ABS or ASC modules.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recently purchased a K1300s. Love the bike. However the standard ESA suspension isn't up to par. I want to replace it with Nitron or Mupo conventional shocks. I was told by a mechanic that doing this will also disable my traction control and anti lock braking. I can't find anything anywhere to confirm that. Is it correct?
I have a ‘05 K12s and replaced the ESA with ohlins and while i don’t have traction control, my ABS was not affected.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Guzzi,

Congrqats, and welcome to the Club!

No, it will not affect your ABS. Absolutely No MUPU and the Ohlins will give you a harder/Firmer Ride. Thats even if they are still available. Rebuilding with the Wilbers Shocks is the Ticket. Keep the electronics and have better Shocks custom built to your specs!

Happy Hunting

·
Registered
BMW K1300s
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. Good feedback. If I go to conventional shocks I lose my traction control and keep my ABS. Both Nitron and Mupo offer conventional floating piston front shocks with rebound and preload adjustment, along with fully adjustable rear shocks. Mupo also make their own ESA shocks (MESA) which they say can be set up for a 110kg rider. However these are basic economy emulsion shocks. As far as I know Wilbers only offer conventional shocks for this bike, and the front is emulsion, not floating piston. Ohlins are not really in the game on this one anymore. Nitron conventional shocks are the best option as far as I can see. I cannot see how you can rebuild that ESA suspension, make it work for my 110kg (+ luggage), and improve the action. Happy to be schooled.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would suggest contacting Ted Porter at the Beemer Shop. Ted offers a variety of ESA replacement suspension options, including dongles that will plug in to the ESA system and preserve all your other features like abs and traction control. Ted help me out with ESA suspension options for my R1200 and they turned out perfect.

·
Registered
184 Posts
AFAIK there is no link between the ESA shocks and the ABS and ASC systems. These safety systems are linked to the braking and engine management (power delivery), not to suspension.
True, however simply unplugging your ESA system will trigger every warning light on your dash. The dongles sold by the Beemer Shop and others will ensure the computer is happy with an ESA to non-ESA conversion.

·
Registered
453 Posts
True, however simply unplugging your ESA system will trigger every warning light on your dash. The dongles sold by the Beemer Shop and others will ensure the computer is happy with an ESA to non-ESA conversion.
i have replaced my esa with wilbers and have no such issues. I do get error messages tho when i connect the gs911

·
Registered
184 Posts
i have replaced my esa with wilbers and have no such issues. I do get error messages tho when i connect the gs911
Oh that's interesting. The R1200GS is not happy if you disco the ESA and is keen to let you know 😁, but maybe that's because it also has ride height adjustment?? I wonder if there is a Wilbers WESA conversion for the K13. I didn't see one at the Beemer Shop website but I don't think that's difinitive.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Unfortunately no. Only for the GS I believe. There would be a huge market if there was one
I wouldn't count out the possibility until I've talked to Ted Porter at Beemer Shop. He can sometime do some stuff with Wilbers that isn't in the catalog. There is a WESA Wilbers conversion for the K16GT and I don't imagine that could be that much different from the K13S.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok. Good feedback. If I go to conventional shocks I lose my traction control and keep my ABS. Both Nitron and Mupo offer conventional floating piston front shocks with rebound and preload adjustment, along with fully adjustable rear shocks. Mupo also make their own ESA shocks (MESA) which they say can be set up for a 110kg rider. However these are basic economy emulsion shocks. As far as I know Wilbers only offer conventional shocks for this bike, and the front is emulsion, not floating piston. Ohlins are not really in the game on this one anymore. Nitron conventional shocks are the best option as far as I can see. I cannot see how you can rebuild that ESA suspension, make it work for my 110kg (+ luggage), and improve the action. Happy to be schooled.
I'm a suspension shop and I rebuild the ESA shocks. Also I'm Wilber's importer and Ohlins dealer. Wilbers doesn't list WESA for the K13, only conventional. Front stock ESA or conventional is emulsion. The 630 front & 640 rear is a real good kit from Wilber's. Ohlins seems to offer a rear (K12S) only. The K13S rear has electronic compression & rebound settings, and I think it is the only ESA with compression adjustment. I'm working on a K13S & K1600GT front shock right now, and I think they are identical. This may open the Wilber's K1600 front to use on the K13S. But the rear is a real good WP unit with floating piston.
[email protected]
Dallas, TX

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm a suspension shop and I rebuild the ESA shocks. Also I'm Wilber's importer and Ohlins dealer. Wilbers doesn't list WESA for the K13, only conventional. Front stock ESA or conventional is emulsion. The 630 front & 640 rear is a real good kit from Wilber's. Ohlins seems to offer a rear (K12S) only. The K13S rear has electronic compression & rebound settings, and I think it is the only ESA with compression adjustment. I'm working on a K13S & K1600GT front shock right now, and I think they are identical. This may open the Wilber's K1600 front to use on the K13S. But the rear is a real good WP unit with floating piston.
[email protected]
Dallas, TX
Really useful info

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't know about what Nitron offer for the Ks but, in my experience, they perform brilliantly and are well made - got an R2 on a Honda that I do track days and fast road riding on and its great. Doesn't looke quite as flash as an Ohlins but seems to work better than an Ohlins TTS and the feel of the adjuster mechanisms/detents etc makes the Ohlins ones seem like they're off kids toys. British made too.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just a quick thank you to all the responders. There is great info in here and I'm going use it. This is a great forum.
Agree - not be on here long myself but its invaluable.

As EricK1300GTSE suggests, if you haven't already got it, the official BMW service manual CD is a must have - available cheap on eBay and has everything in it. Also the parts catalogue at: RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog (note this link is for my model/year of S - select "Select another vehicle" to input your parameters)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, the other thing is, after awhile ALL suspension setups are "not up to par" & need to either be replaced or Rebuilt. I had my front suspension rebuilt & glad I didn't do a replacement. The ESA is very useful to me. When I'm just commuting, I will have it in the cushy mode & when I'm riding hard I'll firm up the suspension by clicking the button/switch. So, perhaps that's something for others or yourself to consider. Why not a rebuild? It can be done if you find the right mechanic.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts