BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I need to replace my left heated grip on my 03 K1200RS.

Have anyone here done that? I'm not sure where to begin... looks like there is a screw on left side of the handlebar that would split it?

Also anything I need to be careful of, special instructions? Any info here would be much appreciated...

Tks,
-CK

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts
Replaced the right-grip last summer. What I ordered was the left non-heated grip from BMW. It comes with an internal "sleeve" that needs to be removed (fold back then grip from the sleeve and remove the sleeve. Slides out with a bit of difficulty). Then, with an exacto knife, score but don't cut through, the old grip. Score it about half-depth. Cut the end of the grip off, and then tear along the score line to remove the rest of the grip. Take the new, sleeveless grip, spray some good hairspray inside (lubricates, then hardens a bit) and slide the new grip over the heated element. Let it set (dry). AquaNet extra hold works well. Or, add a dab or two of silicon glue near the open end of the grip once the grip is in place. The grip will roll back on itself for easy application. Should be good from there.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
h8tow8 said:
Hi,

I need to replace my left heated grip on my 03 K1200RS.

Have anyone here done that? I'm not sure where to begin... looks like there is a screw on left side of the handlebar that would split it?

Also anything I need to be careful of, special instructions? Any info here would be much appreciated...

Tks,
-CK
Because it is not working or is it just worn through to the element? note: like Razel said if it is just worn through but the left will be just a little short after you mount it...not a big deal.... Here is a play by play http://rhhall.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Low-Budget-Heated-Grip/2933492_eo9jJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bumped it into the wall when pulling into garage. So the left heated grip stopped working (no heat) and also have torn on the edge..

So I decided to just buy a new left heated grip at http://www.webparts.com/diagram.php?btnr=32_1757&mospid=47830&hg=32&fg=15 and now I need to find out how to fit it.

Still waiting for the part to arrive, but wanted some pointers on how to...

I think I'm just going to cut/tear it off as suggested, not sure about how the heating element works, will have to figure that out when I have the grip off... hopefully it's not overly complicated as I'm not very good with this stuff.

Tks for responses so far...

-C

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great write up... tks.

I'm assuming the grip I bought (heated grip), comes with the heating element that I would need to slide onto the plastic bar beneath it?

C

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
h8tow8 said:
Great write up... tks.

I'm assuming the grip I bought (heated grip), comes with the heating element that I would need to slide onto the plastic bar beneath it?

C
if you paid around $130.00 yes if you paid around $30.00 no. you just got the rubber grip..............are you still standing?....saw your link so you should be all set...good prices too.. as far as to replacing the whole grip I'm not sure...maybe Razel knows....shouldn't be that difficult

·
Looking for better limits...
5,163 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I paid about $90 for heated grip, still standing :)

The guy at webparts told me it's quite complicated to replace the entire heated grip... you have to trace wiring back all the way to the fuel tank... sigh.

Anyway, I'll what I can, might post again to ask for help.

BAK04GT said:
if you paid around $130.00 yes if you paid around $30.00 no. you just got the rubber grip..............are you still standing?....saw your link so you should be all set...good prices too.. as far as to replacing the whole grip I'm not sure...maybe Razel knows....shouldn't be that difficult

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll try my best, does anyone here life in West LA? If you feel like having a beer in the garage with commentary let me know, I could use the help.

Razel said:
Well, if you're getting the heated grip assembly, by all means take the old one apart piece-by-piece. Best way to figure out how to put the new one on, and damaging the old part is not a problem. Just don't damange anything else :D

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
1) If I remember correctly, there are 2 very small Phillips screws under the hilt of the grip at about the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position. Roll the rubber back to expose them, un-screw and the grip and plastic sleeve come off as a unit.
2) Carefully trace the thin cable coming from the left side handlebar. It will plug into a connector that contains a like cable coming from the right side heated grip. They all plug together just below the steering head.
There is a little more to it than that, but it's all I could remember at the moment.

Here is Rich Hall's post on lo-cost heated grip repair.http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9704

·
Will ride for picts
1,645 Posts
If you're replace the grip with a new heated grip, you need to unclip the wire connector located near the tank and fish the wire through the handlebar. Use a pick or stiff metal wire to pull old wires out of the connector from the back, making sure you remember which color wire went into each side of the connector. Then push the new wires into the old connector; they'll snap into place. Fish the new wire and connector back through the handlebar and reconnect to the wire harness. Push the excess wire into the handle bar, and tighen the two screws that hold the grip to the handlebar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts