BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2013 K1300s, 2002 K1200RS
10 Posts
That happened to me on my K12RS, luckily I was only about a mile from home. Held air to 20psi but lost air rapidly when the valve was tipped. The metal part of the valve stem separated from the rubber part. I was able to air it up and limp home.

It also happened to my buddy on his K12s a few years ago while riding thru central California in the middle of no where. He had to wait 2 hrs for a tow in 100deg heat! After that, I always have the rubber stem replaced whenever I change tires out. Glad my now "new to me" K1300s has metal stems.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R & 2021 Vespa Primavera clown paint job
669 Posts
The above are the ones I buy for tire work. I keep a supply on hand. I also change them every couple of tire sets when people come in. Especially if they can not remember last time they were changed. I date the inside of the rim with a marker. I only use the ones from Wunderlich, I had a batch from internet that the rubber was just crud and looking at them they failed.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It also happened to my buddy on his K12s a few years ago while riding thru central California in the middle of no where. He had to wait 2 hrs for a tow in 100deg heat!
That was me. The tow-truck came right before mosquito feeding time thank god.

Not sure if any standard auto valve stem would work, but FYI the valve stem looks like this...
View attachment 28769
Can these be had locally? This looks shorter (and more reliable) than the one I have. Someone else suggested steel L-stems.

·
Registered
2013 K1300s, 2002 K1200RS
10 Posts
That was me. The tow-truck came right before mosquito feeding time thank god.

Can these be had locally? This looks shorter (and more reliable) than the one I have. Someone else suggested steel L-stems.
Don’t know if there is a metal option. Possibly BEECH may know as he mounts tires.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OTOH this bike is way too big and ridiculous and stupid...

OTOH BMW knew what they were doing. I love single-sided swingarms.

Bike is fixed.

·
Registered
669 Posts
It is a 15mm hole in the rim. On the outside the surface is relatively flat and no rib that is found on many other rims. I say all this because the securing washer and nut for metal rims needs to be snug and not in a physical situation that it can shift. I to always look at these valves with a wary eye. As mentioned I only buy the best I can find. I once had a honda in and the valve was shot. The hole was 11mm so I went down to the Honda dealer and asked for a rim valve he handed me one pretty much like my 15mm rubber units I use. I asked if this is what they use. Yes he said. So, I bought it to cover his time and hassle. It was tight but did the job. This tells me maybe I'm too cautious. But I have to be, working on other peoples bikes. So I prefer to install the rubber valves but I see that if you can find a metal one you like and if it includes a rubber fitting seal that is close to 15mm, why not try it. They generally include several sizes of rubber seals. Use some tire lube on it. I would use one that is straight not bent over for easy filling. I have the luxury of a tire machine and play these games, but the average rider, playing around costs lots of money to open up a wheel when not needed.
This next story I hesitate to add but it is interesting. I have heard of one case a rubber valve was stuffed into the hole from the outside. Don't know how but I suspect there was a lot of determined effort. I don't see it happening.

·
Registered
669 Posts
can be had locally, ... same as the dealer uses. Just looking at the parts fiche, the tire pressure monitor is installed with a steel fitting, so I think there is no problem installing a aftermarket steel valve if you get a rubber seal in the package that works.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I have standard rubber. It looks like the OEM one is a bit shorter than the one that was fitted and the one that I fitted, but it’s what I saw laying around.

The one that let go let go as I hit 130. I suspect under speed it gets bent over. My old one held up to a lot of abuse before letting go, but maybe I’ll get a new one for the next time I replace the rear tire. Shipping kills it for the Wunderlich one (on top of their already ridiculous price), although it does feel nice to have quality installed.

Here’s what Amazon offers:

·
Registered
190 Posts
A similar thing happened to me on my K1200RS. Mine didn't crack, though. Rather, the entire brass section just blew out of the rubber stem. It was a couple of years ago in East St. Louis, IN. Not exactly the best place to breakdown at night, so the local police told me. They were very helpful and saw that I was safe. I was enroute from Texas to the BMW rally in Buffalo, NY. Luckily, there is was a very good BMW dealer across the river in St. Louis. Now I change valves with every tire change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yup, had the rear rubber valve stem let go on top of Wolf Creek Pass in CO, just 200 yds after slowing down from a "spirited" run through the twisties. Sobering!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts