BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced air and fuel filter while tank off; I can’t adjust screws so it does not leak. I did not replace tank gasket as it looked fine.
Any advise ?
thx
Pat

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Let me guess?Screws?....97-98 K1200RS?Tanks were updated in 99.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
438 Posts
Complicated. So, if you do need a new gasket it looks like the instructions imply to remove the pump and put the gasket on then replace the pump. 5Nm is not much, just about as tight as a screwdriver handled 10mm socket goes. Not many folks have and accurate low range torque wrench. A new gas tank is of course just about out of the question. But so is over tightening those little studs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Complicated. So, if you do need a new gasket it looks like the instructions imply to remove the pump and put the gasket on then replace the pump. 5Nm is not much, just about as tight as a screwdriver handled 10mm socket goes. Not many folks have and accurate low range torque wrench. A new gas tank is of course just about out of the question. But so is over tightening those little studs.
Thanks - do you know the correct sequence of washers and beveled washers ? I may have to try low range torque wrench as mine is large one .
Pat

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
438 Posts
Flat washer then the bevel spring washer then the screw. If you do go the new gasket route (I personally would) there are a number of clamps and rubber hoses involved. The clamps are one time squish clamps that take a proper tool. It is not done properly that if not experienced the hoses come off later, stopping the bike. And the hoses if original are now too old and you need a set from Euromotoelectric. You need hose that is rated for immersion in fuel. Those clamps are called oetiker clamps. You can look them up. Kits are expensive usually better to buy them from BMW or Euromotoelectric. There probably is a video on YouTube on how to install them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flat washer then the bevel spring washer then the screw. If you do go the new gasket route (I personally would) there are a number of clamps and rubber hoses involved. The clamps are one time squish clamps that take a proper tool. It is not done properly that if not experienced the hoses come off later, stopping the bike. And the hoses if original are now too old and you need a set from Euromotoelectric. You need hose that is rated for immersion in fuel. Those clamps are called oetiker clamps. You can look them up. Kits are expensive usually better to buy them from BMW or Euromotoelectric. There probably is a video on YouTube on how to install them.
Thanks - I may have to restart and get gasket . I did replace clamps . Buy Gasket at BMW?
Pat

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
438 Posts
Order one from MAX bmw on line. find a couple other little things you may need they can use the small box USPS priority mail that way. Only about 10$ shipping. This way you will get about as fresh a gasket as you can. You may now also need new clamps if you used the one time crimp on Oetiker type. ( have to remove all that stuff to put the gasket on the assembly.)

·
Registered
60 Posts
While you have some time, unless you know the internal fuel hoses are recent, I would suggest replacing them now as well (SAE30R10). I recently replaced my fuel filter but left the (original) fuel hoses which split a few months later, killing the fuel pressure, but staying inside the tank so no obvious clues. Took forever to finally figure out what was going on. Also, mine is the newer design tank with the "mason jar" seal, but a light coating of vaseline on the fuel pump gasket was a big help in getting it slid properly into place and tightened down without any leaks.

·
Registered
2009 K1300S, 2017 S1000R
438 Posts
Yes, that bit about lubing the gasket is a good procedure. Only takes a bit and allows the gasket to move around to where it should be. Good comment HB

·
Registered
2007 K1200GT
13 Posts
MoreBeer
I also brew and keg beer when not tinkering on bikes. I have the tool and use the clamps. Pretty good quality and a heck of a bang for 3.99. Cheers
Tony

1 - 11 of 11 Posts