BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My K1300GT is all new to me, still waiting to register it.

I would like to know if it is acceptable to replace the OEM Xenon Low Beam with an LED bulb?
I have done this on all my cars, I like LED bulbs.
My Goal is more Lumens and better visibility by other drivers.

Have other riders done this?
Will it essentially be plug-n-play after removing the HID and Ballast?
Does it trip a CANBUS sensor?

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Steve
'10 K1300GT

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too just bought a "new to me" K1300GT 2 months ago and have wondered about replacing the Xenon low beam with LED. My understanding was that it would trip the canbus sensor and set off the warning light. I tried something as simple as replacing the tail light bulb with LED bulb and it set off the warning light so i never went any further. From the shape of the reflector and considering it's only the low beam i am sure it would throw a good beam pattern. I have a late model car and replaced the high/low bulbs with LED and they light up the road like the sun came up and don't blind oncoming drivers. I have 3 Harleys all with aftermarket LED lighting, Ol lady has Honda Shadow with aftermarket LED lighting and the BMW has an inferior headlight to all of them. Even the HD and the Honda with the 5 3/4" LED projector headlights put out more light. I wound up replacing both high beam bulbs with whiter H7 bulbs and they give a bit better high beam. After doing some research I did replace the 2 little dim white running light bulbs in the headlight housing with LED bulbs and now the bike has a BRIGHT amber light on each side of the headlight. It looks more like people expect a motorcycle to look in the USA where the front turn signals are used as running lights on most bikes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try this. If it doesn’t work, Jerry will refund. Revzilla will not, if the package has been opened/

Jiayou New Energy H7 LED Headlight Bulb Kits from Pirates' Lair at 828.628.7093 EST
After investigating the lights in the link, they appear to be re-branded HSUN lights. If you are not in America (and the delivery cost from same is prohibitive) then these are the same lights, albeit cheaper.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HSUN-Headl...07JF22NZ5/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I bought them for the Hi Beams and will be fitting them this weekend.

They arrived very will packaged and look well made.

Update:
I coudn't help myself. I just fitted them. This is on a 2008 K1200GT by the way.

Fitting is a bit of a squeeze, it helps if you have small hands. Popped out the old bulbs, took the collar off the new LEDS, fitted that, and then went to put the new bulbs in. They have a bayonnet fitting into the collar (slide in and twist). This aligns the LEDs so that the two on the bulb are on a horizontal axis. I slid the bulb in and it wouldn't twist. I eventually found that the small wire retaining clip on the bulb holder was getting caught in the aluminium fins of the bulb. A quick bend with a long screwdriver, to splay out the wire where it is "high" was enough to allow the bulbs to be inserted and rotated. It's easier to do that to describe. You will know when its right as the bulb will seat, and the LEDs, when viewed from the front will be horizontal.
Both bulbs were installed and the original dust covers put back on (after ensuring that they both light and the fans operate. If they don't light, swap the plug around).

The light is really something. It now matches the Xenon low beam in colour. I can't wait to see the result in the dark. I don't have to worry about light thow or scatter as Hi-beams are only used when there is no oncoming traffic. The LEDs also appear to be at the same point on the bulb as the old halogen filiment, so the reflectors should work as intended. And as they are endorsed by Pirates lair, then I'm pretty sure they are good.

A definite improvement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts