BMW K1200, K1300, and K1600 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. First time posting here, first experience with 2008 K1200GT. Please be gentle.

So I just rescued a 2008 K1200GT with 44000 miles, from Copart junk yard in Spokane Washington. It has minor external damage- front fairing head light and windshield however the inspector estimated 13000$ for repair.

Since I know Nottingham of the bike history I plan to look in every corner and replace or update all the trouble areas like the clutch, air box, cam chain tensioner etc.

I needs recommendations for potential trouble spots and upgrades.
Thanks in advance.

Emanouil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
You should be able to get any dealer to run the serial number and tell you what recalls and updates have been done on it. That might save you re-doing those items.

Keep a watch on ebay and the like as body panels show up there periodically. Good luck getting it back on the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
mcmxcivrs said:
You should be able to get any dealer to run the serial number and tell you what recalls and updates have been done on it. That might save you re-doing those items.

Keep a watch on ebay and the like as body panels show up there periodically. Good luck getting it back on the road.

Thanks. That is a good idea. I have already found front panel. Now I am looking to see if I can upgrade the head light to Xenon or HID. Any advise on that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,658 Posts
Geesh...13 grand? For about half that I'll sell you my 07. It runs and everything! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
For 13 grand. :yeow: ...either the adjuster found bent stuff underneath OR he was a friend of the previous owner who wanted it totaled out so he could get away from it. 13k is more than just cosmetics...

As Ed stated, go to a dealer and find out the history of repairs/replacements it has undergone. If their were never any ABS issues listed I would suggest pulling the left panel and seeing if the ABS unit has a Module Master sticker on the motor portion of the unit. If so, you are good to go. If not, you might still be ok with the amount of miles on it....the ABS usually fails rather early on. A little clutch "squak" is normal, don't sweat it unless you feel slipping. This guy : Member id cmscycleparts was parting out a K1300gt. I got a couple of items from him at awesome prices. Not sure what's left but send him a message, he will put up whatever you want if he has it. (just a place to start).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
Doesn't look too bad....I can't tell from the pics but were the handlebars hit? Are they straight with the wheel? Are the rims still true? From what I can see it does look "minor" (that's kinda a relative term when dealing with BMW damage). The vin report you have pretty much just reflects that it's a salvage/rebuilt title now, you already knew that. Take the vin to a dealer and you will get the info about anytime it was at any BMW dealer getting serviced. That's what you want.



:popcorn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
does the fork look bent to anyone else?

Rt side doesn't look too bad. Have a body guy fix the panels ('bondo') and save some money. The panels can be fixed w/ 'bondo' if you have a good body guy doing the work.

I'm guessing the 13k loss may include the front end damage. all body panels (L, R, front, 1 lower) and bags w/ topcase, mirror, shifter and clutch run around $6500. Shop the panels and you'll be able to put it together on the cheap. I wouldn't expect a big resale on a salvage K12GT though-doesn't seem like a strong market.

have fun-it's a bad a$$ bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
72chevy, if I can fix her I am planning to keep her. Already talked to a body shop that is owned by a friend. But firs I will tare her down make sure all is well. Few upgrades as we'll.
I am open for suggestions but I am planning on a new control arm from Wunderlich, new HID head light since I need to replace it and new muffler probably Akropovich and fog lights.
Si

Any suggestions every one? :ghug:

Any after market cluch packs?
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
3,145 Posts
That's a custom seat, probably a Bill Mayer, cut down for a shorter rider.

If you can find the entire headlight bucket complete with the factory Xenon HID bulb and ballast, then you could probably switch to factory HID (you would need a dealer to update the software coding).

If not, then stick with the factory H7 Halogen headlight assembly, then upgrade that with an H7 HID upgrade kit (under $50 for decent kits).

Body panels are pretty much the same on all years, except for minor differences on the newer '09-'10 side panels. They can either be repaired or replaced as needed.

Others have already mentioned the known weak spots for these bikes (ABS, clutch, cam chain guides, fueling issues). Do some reading on this forum to get more details of those things and suggestions for repair/preventative maintenance.

Other than that, you'll just have to tear it down and see what it looks like under there. If the frame/suspension/wheels are straight, the rest of it isn't so bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Meese said:
That's a custom seat, probably a Bill Mayer, cut down for a shorter rider.

If you can find the entire headlight bucket complete with the factory Xenon HID bulb and ballast, then you could probably switch to factory HID (you would need a dealer to update the software coding).

If not, then stick with the factory H7 Halogen headlight assembly, then upgrade that with an H7 HID upgrade kit (under $50 for decent kits).

Body panels are pretty much the same on all years, except for minor differences on the newer '09-'10 side panels. They can either be repaired or replaced as needed.

Others have already mentioned the known weak spots for these bikes (ABS, clutch, cam chain guides, fueling issues). Do some reading on this forum to get more details of those things and suggestions for repair/preventative maintenance.

Other than that, you'll just have to tear it down and see what it looks like under there. If the frame/suspension/wheels are straight, the rest of it isn't so bad.

Thanks Ken. I go look the H7 HID right now. Any info on the Wunderlich swing arm?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
Interesting pattern of damage, shattering the windshield/headlight fairing - all without damaging the mega $$$ front suspension. So, it hit something high and protruding like the back of a tall truck.....not enough speed to get to the expensive stuff.

If that's the case, where is the $11K+ damage? I do recall that when my 08 GT crashed, there were marks on front and rear suspension components in addition to the plastics and THAT added up quickly to enough $$$ to total, but this bike looks reparable for less than bike value.

Does kinda makes me wonder about the adjuster/body shop/dealer/insurance company system leaning towards totaling rather than repair.

I understand that because of the risk of hidden damage no one wants to repair these things.

I also think that because of those risks I would not buy such a vehicle. You may accept these risks and get a bike for cheap.

Good luck with the repairs, be careful out there. Maybe let someone else do the first test ride where high speed and heavy braking is involved. :teeth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lhendrick said:
Interesting pattern of damage, shattering the windshield/headlight fairing - all without damaging the mega $$$ front suspension. So, it hit something high and protruding like the back of a tall truck.....not enough speed to get to the expensive stuff.

If that's the case, where is the $11K+ damage? I do recall that when my 08 GT crashed, there were marks on front and rear suspension components in addition to the plastics and THAT added up quickly to enough $$$ to total, but this bike looks reparable for less than bike value.

Does kinda makes me wonder about the adjuster/body shop/dealer/insurance company system leaning towards totaling rather than repair.

I understand that because of the risk of hidden damage no one wants to repair these things.

I also think that because of those risks I would not buy such a vehicle. You may accept these risks and get a bike for cheap.

Good luck with the repairs, be careful out there. Maybe let someone else do the first test ride where high speed and heavy braking is involved. :teeth
Thanks. I agree with you about the risk. Not planning on taking any. I have a wonderful local bike shop that will do the evaluation and some of the repairs for me. They have a dyno as well. Since I am planning some modifications as well we will run it on the dyno before and after.

The shop is called "European cycle services" in Wallkill NY. Have been taking care of my 2000 R1200C till now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
677 Posts
petvet said:
Thanks. I agree with you about the risk. Not planning on taking any. I have a wonderful local bike shop that will do the evaluation and some of the repairs for me. They have a dyno as well. Since I am planning some modifications as well we will run it on the dyno before and after.

The shop is called "European cycle services" in Wallkill NY. Have been taking care of my 2000 R1200C till now.
It's your money and time, but I have one of these bikes. They don't need any serious mods to run fast enough to scare the crap out of you. I would hold off until I knew I had a viable, stable bike. Adding exhaust and power commanders is fun, but essentially, a waste of resources.

Save your money and effort for when/if the ABS brakes, Final Drive, Cam Chain, Transmission issues crop up.

This is my opinion - have at it. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lhendrick said:
It's your money and time, but I have one of these bikes. They don't need any serious mods to run fast enough to scare the crap out of you. I would hold off until I knew I had a viable, stable bike. Adding exhaust and power commanders is fun, but essentially, a waste of resources.

Save your money and effort for when/if the ABS brakes, Final Drive, Cam Chain, Transmission issues crop up.

This is my opinion - have at it. :D
Thanks I always appreciate an honest opinion.

Not looking for speed necessarily. My obsession is control. That is why I am looking at the Wunderlich control arm. Next will be visibility and comfort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
moymurfs said:
For 13 grand. :yeow: ...either the adjuster found bent stuff underneath OR he was a friend of the previous owner who wanted it totaled out so he could get away from it. 13k is more than just cosmetics...
Cosmetics can add up in a hurry. The adjuster would have included every single item that was scratched, even very minor scuffs. If there was a scratch on the frame, they'd cost out a new frame and install time which would be monumental. No consideration for repainting or used parts, everything would be priced as new replacements.

I had an 03 F650GS written off with pretty much only cosmetic damage after a deer encounter. I rode the bike home, yet the total cost for repairs was well over $7000. I let them take the bike and upgraded to a new F800GS as I had that in mind within a year or two anyway. But still, I could have fixed it myself, ignoring many of the minor scratches, refinishing parts or buying used parts and had it as nearly as good as before for under $2000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mcmxcivrs said:
Cosmetics can add up in a hurry. The adjuster would have included every single item that was scratched, even very minor scuffs. If there was a scratch on the frame, they'd cost out a new frame and install time which would be monumental. No consideration for repainting or used parts, everything would be priced as new replacements.

I had an 03 F650GS written off with pretty much only cosmetic damage after a deer encounter. I rode the bike home, yet the total cost for repairs was well over $7000. I let them take the bike and upgraded to a new F800GS as I had that in mind within a year or two anyway. But still, I could have fixed it myself, ignoring many of the minor scratches, refinishing parts or buying used parts and had it as nearly as good as before for under $2000.
I certainly hope you are right Ed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
Sorry to piggyback on this discussion but...

I sure wish State Farm had been that generous last week - I made an quick lane change when someone stopped dead in the road ahead of me and lets just say I didn't thread the needle well enough.

Both saddle bag lids got pretty scratched up bouncing between cars and I nicked the outboard edge of the left BIG panel. State Farm says the bags and side cover can be repainted for $800...

If you could've sen the damage that those saddlebags caused to the two vehicles - I'm guessing $6-7,000 easily based on the length of the creases the bags left! I am amazed tha the bags didn't explode and that I was able to keep the bike upright...

Most of the folks I've spoken to say to just order the painted panels from BMW - isn't worth the hassle trying to make the saddlebag covers look good again.
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top